What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union players not counting towards NRL salary caps

rabs

Staff member
fatshark said:
Union players of the past have succededed in League at/from the highest levels (eg Ray Price, Michael O'Connor, Andrew Leeds).

Christ your clutching at straws, they were the old days. the game now is twice the speed, they would all be ordinary cept for Oconnors goal kicking!

O'connor would kick ass in any era because he was skillful with his body and his brain

bayrep

Juniors
bartman said:
........ League shouldn't stoop to Union's level of raids, let the money hungry suckers go if they want!

Having said that, I don't know of anyone currently playing Union that I'd want in my league side anyway. Maybe that dude George Smith, but that's it. The rest (especially the backs) are a dime a dozen.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Bartman! Also good to see you have a balanced view on things. :roll:

bartman

Immortal
fatshark said:
Union players of the past have succededed in League at/from the highest levels (eg Ray Price, Michael O'Connor, Andrew Leeds).

Christ your clutching at straws, they were the old days. the game now is twice the speed, they would all be ordinary cept for Oconnors goal kicking!

You have to go back to the old days to find any Union players with enough skill and broad qualities to swap to league! Except for maybe picking some fast dude to run straight lines out on the wing, which doesn't take much skill really.

Andrew Leeds I'll admit was a clutch at straws, but Price and O'Connor were dual internationals in their day, among the best there was. If you saw them play you'd know they'd cut it even in today's faster game (don't forget they never had the luxury of interchange back then either).

Bottom line is Union can try and raid League, because it's an easier game for backs to play. There's no point League raiding Union just for the sake of it, as there's no-one there with enough stand out talent to make it in League these days.

As f

This is how I see the current Wallaby side and if I would take any of them

1 - Young - no
2 - Cannon - no. Maybe a few years ago he could have been a decent secodn rower, but now getting on
3 - Baxter - no
4 - Sharpe - No
5 - Harrison\Giffin - No
In all honesty, I never considered any of the union tight 5 ever, Garrick Morgan was a lesson for one and all.
6 - Smith - Yep
7 - Waugh/ Samo - Waugh has a high enough work rate to possibly play hooker with some owrk on his dummy half passing, running. Samo could play well in either code
8 - Lyons - Decent ball runner, but lazy. Would play less minutes than Rodney Howe
9 - Gregan - too old. Either way, he would have to come as a hooker, couldn't play one off the ruck
10 - Larkham - once again, geting on, but would have been a decent buy. Good hands, good runner, good vision. Questionable defence, I think a pack like Penrith or the Dogs would work him over
11 - Tiquiri - Obviously yes
12 - Giteau - yep. young enough, good skills, quick.
13 - Mortlock - Injury prone but would be worth considering. Probably as a centre/back rower
14 - Rathbone - see Giteau
15 - latham - decent ball runner, but no Minichello, Hunt, Wesser, Hornby, Hodgson, Craigie (!). Crapm defender

BuffaloRules

Coach
Couldabeen....generally agree with your perceptions...

Consider the following Aussie RU players that are not mentioned above ( excluding the RL converts...)

Roff - injury prone and getting on, but I still wouldn't mind seeing him playing for the Tigers.

Flatley - Yes

Nathan Grey - Obviously past his best, but could still play NRL.

Turunui - Maybe

Ben Tune - yes ( when not drugged up of course... 8) )

Mark Gerrard - Yes

Jeremy Paul - Maybe

eastsrule

Bench
There are plenty of players at Super 12 Level that would make it in League. If you arrogant pricks got your heads out of your asses you would realise that.

Surely

Post Whore
Yes and ricky stuart was another one of those useless athletes that couldn't make it in league !!

Latest posts