What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union's history against league

ibeme

First Grade
I continually hear of the low tactics union has used over the years to try to crush league. I know about the original split and there's the vichy regeme's banning in France after WWII. I heard something similar happened in South Africa. I've been trying to track down the full history, but I've not had any luck as yet. Does anybody know where I could find any information on this? Or does anyone know the complete history?

ozbash

Referee
you could try and get hold of

From All Blacks to All Gold -John Haynes - ISBN 0 473 03864 1

At the George - Geoffrey Moorhouse - ISBN 0 340 43040 0

and probably the best that i can think of
The Story of Rugby League - Keith Macklin -ISBN 0 09 158411 6

try your library . :lol:

ibeme

First Grade
ozbash said:
you could try and get hold of

From All Blacks to All Gold -John Haynes - ISBN 0 473 03864 1

At the George - Geoffrey Moorhouse - ISBN 0 340 43040 0

and probably the best that i can think of
The Story of Rugby League - Keith Macklin -ISBN 0 09 158411 6

try your library . :lol:

Thanks

terracesider

Juniors
The best history of French RL under Vichy is: Mike Rylance, The Forbiddden Game Brighouse, UK. League Publications, 1999. Unfortunately out of print now but there are hopes for a new edition.

The other main book on France is: Philip Dine French Rugby Football Berg, 2001.

The standard history is now Tony Collins': Rugby's Great Split Cass, 1998. Can be highly recommended. If not on AUS Amazon, try the UK site.

This might be of interest, Sports Historian , especially the papers by Melling, Collins and Dine.

Unfortunatley Moorhouse and Mackllin are out of print but you might find them in Amazon used books. I know somebody who got Rylance that way.

russ13

First Grade
Some good quotes from the Phil Melling article:

Stephen Jones, brave soul that he is, provides this analysis of Rugby League in the serene knowledge that he won't be challenged - either by his editor or by his colleagues on The Sunday Times. As a so-called vehicle for the disinterested coverage of sport The Sunday Times gives no genuine coverage to Rugby League, despite the game still being the second most popular spectator sport in the country. As Martin Sadler has said: `There is no Rugby League writer for that newspaper who can put right the gross distortions that a writer like Jones inflicts upon a gullible readership'.

In the quality press, especially on Sundays, acres of space are devoted to Rugby Union, much of it testimony to our undying love affair with the mediocre and banal, to the celebration of players of extremely modest footballing ability, in contests which lollop along and provide the spectator with little more than interminable displays of line out jumping and aeriel ping pong. In many of the quality Sundays Orrell is bigger than Wigan, Wakefield Rugby Union club has always been bigger than Wakefield Trinity and Sale is bigger than St. Helens. In this respect Rugby League still, as it has done for generations, faces `the deeply ingrained prejudices of those people who control access to national newspaper columns'. 6

russ13

First Grade
Have a look at the following dissertation. It is mostly about RU but there are some good references-see the dissertation on page 2 entitled 'the Great Schism.' & 'Fascism & Rugby in the 1930s'. Leave some feedback if you like.

http://www.grcnet.20m.com/custom2.html

hgfds

Juniors
www.rl1908 has a story on the 63 tour by south africa,apartheid and sa's sporting isolation seems to have finished league until the early 90's when russia toured .

In-goal

Bench
Have a look at the following dissertation. It is mostly about RU but there are some good references-see the dissertation on page 2 entitled 'the Great Schism.' & 'Fascism & Rugby in the 1930s'. Leave some feedback if you like.

http://www.grcnet.20m.com/custom2.html

Once again we see an arcticle from a union perspective which still shows nothing but total ignorance to the code of Rugby, For 1 how was it that RL just magicaly appeared in France?
Then in conclusion RL has no significance outside the North of England and Australia :clap: :clap: :clap: bravo you answered the reasons why and then you later sink in the boot.
How is one to expand when one is being surpressed buy another?

ripper

But it has no major signifgance outside North England and the Eastern Coast of Australia. The only reason NZ is suddenly interested is because the Warriors are winning

In-goal

Bench
But it has no major signifgance outside North England and the Eastern Coast of Australia. The only reason NZ is suddenly interested is because the Warriors are winning

if you read the arcticle you will realise whats going on and what has been going on for more than 100 years.

p.s. RL is still the national sport of P.N.G.

Latest posts