What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uniting LU. Ashleigh Klein is the best referee.

skeepe

Immortal
Are you trying to suggest that a pat on the head of an opposition player ISN'T a sin-bin offence?
Braindead take. You know it wasn't for that, and if you don't, you should immediately donate your brain to someone with the capacity to use it.

Klein painted himself into a corner by saying that he would punish any further aggravation with a sin bin. So when it happened again less than 30 seconds later, he had absolutely no choice.

But THAT is the error that he made. He should never have referred to a specific punishment, leaving him no choice but to do it for what was really a nothing incident.

macca_saint

Juniors
The thing I want to try and understand is how rugby union and league are so different in terms of the aptitude of their officials.

Don't hate on me while I explain this, I watch union because I love all sport.

Rugby union's laws are a train wreck. They're so hard to interpret, there's so much grey area, even diehards struggle to keep up with them all...the referees get criticised relentlessly because they can't win...yet they seem to be pretty level-headed, intelligent decision makers.

League's laws are pretty clear cut. Yet for some reason, we seem to get absolutely dunderhead officials, who can't make a decision to save themselves, and come up with this absolutely inconsistent, weak, illogical rubbish week on week. I honestly don't get it. It's still not an easy sport to police with big collisions and at speed, but whereas rugby union has some level of professionalism and brain power to their refs, we might as well have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Mr Magoo and Helen Keller in the official's ranks each week (and I say that knowing two of those people have passed away, and one is a cartoon drawing). At least they'd have a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

I'd love an explanation as to why this might be.
Compared to a lot of others sports, Rugby League fans and the media put a lot of emphasis on referees and officials having a “feel for the game” which results in inconsistent calls depending on the level (club or origin) and point in the match. Eg. usually we see less “soft” penalties in Origin, and the referees being more lax on the offside rule in the last 10 minutes of a close club game.

gUt

Coach
Braindead take. You know it wasn't for that, and if you don't, you should immediately donate your brain to someone with the capacity to use it.

Klein painted himself into a corner by saying that he would punish any further aggravation with a sin bin. So when it happened again less than 30 seconds later, he had absolutely no choice.

But THAT is the error that he made. He should never have referred to a specific punishment, leaving him no choice but to do it for what was really a nothing incident.
And then he had to both-sides it.

aqua_duck

Coach

Yep it was nothing more than a face saving exercise that made him look like an even bigger fool.

aqua_duck

Coach
He started giving offside penalties on every QLD yardage set at one point.

My fave call was was the Edwards surrender. I've never seen a tackle finishing past initial contact called surrender.

Even the bunker was WTF and overturned.
Klein just likes the sound of his own voice honestly

Diesel

Referee
I don’t want to turn this into a Kasey Badger badgering, but she makes some perplexing decisions and gets rewarded with games the following week. It’s not just Badger, but she’s the one most agree on as making shocking decisions and gets away with it. Some officials need to spend time in the NSW/Qld cup

Diesel

Referee
I’d like to hear Annersley’s view on the Trell tackle last night that was a penalty, yet RTS’s tackle, which was a lesser tacklr got a sin bin. Then Annersley made comments about what could have been

kurt faulk

Coach

He gave the standard "if it happens again someone is going in the bin" line to both captains.

Within 30 seconds it happens again.

What's he supposed to do, give the same speech again? Someone had to go in the bin. Everyone knew that. The only people who didn't know that were the Nimrods commentating on the game.

It's hard to believe they were the best players in the game when they can't work out the simplest of things.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
my 2 cents. The inconsistency across the officiating of the games is an issue.
The commentators carry on about referees and decisions and are often wrong, but there are many morons that think the commentators know what they are talking about and just parrot their views.

Whinging about referees is an easy out when you team loses.
Some morons think that winging about referees when you win means you are smart and impartial.

Often its just a dumbass bandwagon excerise.

Munky

Coach
Why wasn't Cotter binned for running in and trying to start something after Angus tackled Holmes?

Is it because NSW just shrugged rather than engage and Klein was too afraid to put QLD down to twelve?

As I said in the match thread, he’s is proof that refs can be plodders.

I have the belief that if all the refs are poor then you have to look beyond the refs and look at how they’re trained and coached. The fact this guy is getting the big games tells me either the higher ups are happy with what he does, or something like seniority is rewarded over performance.

roboshark

Coach
Klein doesn't derseve to be refereeing a kids under 10s game. How he is anywhere near our great game is a disgrace.
The worst referee in the history of the game. He weekly brings the game into disrepute

An embressment

Last edited: