What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlucky

Meth

Staff member
If I recall correctly, we leaked a lot of points, when Luck was out last time.

I hope everyone steps up in the tackling dept. against the Broncos.

I think it's a bigger loss than many on here will appreciate.

Martli

Coach
Agree, I think he gets a lot of stick because of his lack of attacking game, but he really is an essential part of our forward pack.

Scott

Bench
He is a massive loss. 1 player will not be able to replace him, it's up to the whole team to chip in and pick up the slack.

FTR, i'd have Lillyman at 13.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Who saw it on the News? Bloody weird, a sprig is what, 1cm around? The cut is almost as wide as it is long....it really does look like a shark bite, it's more like something has taken a chunk out of him as opposed to the "slit" type cut I was expecting. How on earth can a sprig do that?

ozbash

Referee
micheal_luck_cut_2.jpg

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/luck-determined-back-finals-run-3728268

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...st-man-in-league/story-e6frexnr-1225909060103

"I went in to make a tackle [on Anthony Watmough] and his boot must have hit my leg," Luck said.

"I felt some pain but didn't think much of it."

At first Luck thought it was a cork. His leg burned above the knee and it failed to respond when he heaved it away from the ruck, leaving him to drag his boot along the ground as Watmough stayed down waiting for his trainer.

But as he ran back to defend his line, he put his hand down to feel the pain and almost lost his finger.

"I just went to rub it," Luck said. "You know, rub it like it was a cork, and then my finger sunk into it and I thought 'eeew'.

"I didn't realise how bad it was. Until I looked at it I just thought it was a cork.

"Once we had that break in play I realised how bad it was.

Luck = double-hard bastard, not one of those girly shirt-lifting tosspieces.

Martli

Coach
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4053831/Michael-Luck-out-but-not-for-long

Michael Luck out, but not for long

There's bad luck and then there's hard Luck, and the Warriors' tough-as-nails lock certainly comes into the latter category.

On Saturday night Micheal Luck was lying in the ingoal at Manly's Brookvale Oval, a horrific gaping wound in his leg and blood quickly filling his boot.

He had to be given morphine to help with the pain and was taken to hospital to have the injury cleaned and stitched.

Then here he was late yesterday afternoon limping into the arrivals hall at Auckland Airport, already plotting an unlikely return to the field.

Maybe not this week – though the rugged Australian said he hadn't completely ruled that out – but definitely next, the regular season closer against Parramatta in Sydney.

That's Luck's admittedly "optimistic" view, but he believes it's a realistic one. Put it this way, if it can be done he'll find a way to get back on the field as the Warriors look to seal a playoff spot, and then make some noise in what looks a wide-open post-season.

"I've got no idea," he said when asked about his likely return schedule.

He hasn't even spoken to the surgeon who applied 15 stitches on the outside to close the wound and a lot more internally.

"If I could play this weekend I would. But that would be pretty optimistic thinking. I'll do everything I can to give myself every chance [of being there] against Parramatta. If there's an opportunity to play I'll take it."

Luck's injury – when Anthony Watmough's boot sliced across his leg in a 68th-minute freak incident – is already taking on folklore status at the Warriors, with coach Ivan Cleary saying it looked like he'd been bitten by a shark, and skipper Simon Mannering declaring it the worst he'd seen.

"The skin was just ripped off and you could see down to his muscle, all this pink flesh kind of hanging out. He's such a tough bugger, he wanted to keep playing, but there was no way," Mannering said.

Remarkably, Luck played out the set before collapsing to the ground in agony. "I didn't feel it at the time," he shrugged yesterday. "I suppose it's adrenaline and that running through your body. You do what you have to do. It's a job."

Luck, arguably the Warriors' most important defender, is amused by all the fuss over his injury.

"It was nothing. It just felt like a bang in the leg. I only realised what had happened when we had that break in play and I looked down and saw a bit of blood there.

"But it was pretty sweet until I got in the ambulance, then they whacked the drugs into me and away you go. I felt fine until today."

Luck admits he's not a great spectator and says he'll do it tough from the sidelines this week. Jacob Lillyman is favourite to replace him – but Luck is confident the playoff spot can be sealed in the Friday night clash against the Broncos.

The Warriors are seventh on 28 points and the Broncos one spot and two points further back.

The Warriors hope to welcome back Lewis Brown (shoulder), Ian Henderson (ankle) and Jerome Ropati (groin) this week, and will need all the help they can get to make up for the loss of their hardest-working and toughest forward.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Wait, what? Did we just turn in perhaps our best attacking performance of the season without battler Luck and his 3 metre hit-ups and constant unwanted ball getting??

What? We can survive despite the rest of the team having to make like 2 more tackles each?

ozreece77

Juniors
Wait, what? Did we just turn in perhaps our best attacking performance of the season without battler Luck and his 3 metre hit-ups and constant unwanted ball getting??

What? We can survive despite the rest of the team having to make like 2 more tackles each?

to be fair, we had a lot of possession and we had to do a lot less tackling than normal. (242 according to nrl.com.au) We normally do around 300 and i think we have the record for the highest for the season 370+. There are not going to be many games when we do so little tackling, especially when we are on the road which is looking likely.
Take the Wests Tigers game where we got caned 50-6 and Luck was out.. We had to make 341 tackles and missed 45 of those.
When you are making less tackles, you have more energy to do things. When you are tackling more (for what ever reason), thats when you want the blokes with the big engines in your side.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
to be fair, we had a lot of possession and we had to do a lot less tackling than normal. (242 according to nrl.com.au) We normally do around 300 and i think we have the record for the highest for the season 370+. There are not going to be many games when we do so little tackling, especially when we are on the road which is looking likely.
Take the Wests Tigers game where we got caned 50-6 and Luck was out.. We had to make 341 tackles and missed 45 of those.
When you are making less tackles, you have more energy to do things. When you are tackling more (for what ever reason), thats when you want the blokes with the big engines in your side.

Yeah, but if you attack better you end up having to defend less. And any team without Michael Luck will attack better :sarcasm:

Latest posts