What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming Ashes Series

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah I got a draw in there for rain.

They could do worse though than Trott, he went well for Otago. I reckon by the fifth test it'll be Mahmood and Bresnan opening the attack, and it'll be 0/400 off 60 overs by tea.

Tommy Smith

Referee
LOL at Timbo. Doing a squad comparison. No bias there. And LOL at everyone for writing England off. De ja vu anybody? I remember the build-up to the last years Ashes where every Aussie and his dog was tipping 4 nil with the other test being a wash out.

Sure things arent looking good atm but its early days yet. England will be ready when the Ashes come around and a bowling attack of Harmison-Flintoff-Hoggard-Panesar is still good enough to compete with Australia especially when you consider Aus frail middle order. If England can contain Ponting and Hussey then we're in with a great chance.

Australias pace attack is solid at best. Lee is overrated, McGrath is past his best and hasnt played for ages and Gillespie is way over the hill and cant even get a wicket for Yorkshire. However, if the Aus selectors show some brains this time and pick Warne AND McGill then it will be very tough for England.

Australia are favourites and rightly so, but ever since the Ashes Australia have showed great frailty in their batting line-up and a clear drop off in their pace bowling. Only inept opposition has covered this up to some degree.

Timbo

Staff member
Maybe if we raided the best South African talent too we'd have won?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Timbo said:
Maybe if we raided the best South African talent too we'd have won?
We didnt raid any talent. Pietersen wanted to play for England and Strauss has been living in England for years.

Btw, can we have our English talent back please? You know, Andrew Symonds...Or maybe we could have done with Kepler Vessels as well back in the day.

Bottom line is that Australia is a very multicultural country and has sports stars representing them from all over the world. Its hardly a crime. If they call themselves Australians, just as Pietersen certainly proudly calls himself an Englishmen, then i dont see a problem with it.

Timbo

Staff member
You want Symonds? Take him! Perhaps it'll stop the bloody selectors putting him in the test side.

Front-Rower

First Grade
We must also remember that in the 8-10 months leading up to the Ashes last year Australia won in India for the first time in donkeys years. The coming down from the high after winning that series, I think, affected how we played in England.

Australia, on our fast bouncy decks will be too skillful for the englishmen this time around.

And lets face it, these guys are only human, they are entitled to lose one series (the aussies that is) every 20 years or so.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
nadera78 said:
Can anyone seriously name a better skipper than Vaughan? Anyone? No, didn't think so.

And Simon Jones had his operation a while back, saw him on the telly a week ago, on crutches. He reckons he'll be back so if you don't mind I'll listen to him not you.

Team will be (assuming no more injuries)
Trescothick, Strauss, Cook, Petersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, G.Jones, Hoggard, S.Jones, Harmison, Panesar.

Reserves; James Anderson (seamer), Liam Plunkett (seamer), Chris Read (wickie), Joathan Trott (another devastating south african batsman) and Ed Joyce (stylish left hand batsman).

More than good enough to deal with you lot.

gee I hope you're still around during the ashes series

Timbo

Staff member
Twizzle said:
Gerant Jones has a strong accent, where is he from again ?

I think he was raised in that place...you know, oh, whats it called, um, Queensland?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
We didnt raid any talent. Pietersen wanted to play for England and Strauss has been living in England for years.

Btw, can we have our English talent back please? You know, Andrew Symonds...Or maybe we could have done with Kepler Vessels as well back in the day.

Bottom line is that Australia is a very multicultural country and has sports stars representing them from all over the world. Its hardly a crime. If they call themselves Australians, just as Pietersen certainly proudly calls himself an Englishmen, then i dont see a problem with it.

I am not writing you off but if Simon Jones does not play I would be surprised if you won a test, let alone the series. He is that important.

nadera78

Juniors
That's alright boys, talk it up. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in a few months time.:cool:

Red Bear

Referee
Write off Mcgrath at your own peril Tommy, its a long time since you've beaten us with him playing.

Its still a dangerous side, flintoff, hoggard (although i can see him getting spanked in our conditions) Harmisson(once again, could be smashed like last tour) Anderson is a good bowler, their spin still isnt much of a worry but. Batting could be good from em could be bad, depends how we bowl.

I think we'll get the cash but hopefully it is a close series.

reladith

Juniors
OK. I dont want to sound like an arrogant c&nt here but i think i can give the best indication know of what is going to happen this series. I am currentl yplaying cricket over here as an overseas professional in Berkshire and originally from NSW where i play all my cricket so i have the experience to back up what i say.

The biggest difference i have found is the conditions. The wickets here are belters! So many runs available. Back home in Aus the English batsmen will struggle against a bouncing seaming ball.

they always do. When poms come out and play in my comp back home we just throw a few dones angling away just shy of a length and the edge comes. England batting will struggle at Brisbane and WACA if it resumes it old condition. They will thrive in Adelaide. Melbourne will be an each way bet and Sydney history is any ones guess. We should smash them but we seem to lose there in the past against them???

With the ball i have this little reminder for the UK guys on here talking crap. In UK they use duke balls! Very hard, reverse swing very easy on the batter freindly abrassive pitches. Very high seam, balls stays 'newer' for longer. stays very hard. UK bowlers are well looked after here. Bowling in the 75th over is fine as a seamer.

In Australia we use a ball called Kookaburra! Wider seam, but flat, gets warn away very early on if decks hard w/no grass. Vert soft, easier for batsmen to smash around. NO REVERSE SWING!!! I repeat NO REVERSE SWING like the duke balls. duke balls will reverse late. Kookaburra do it out of the hand!

Australia is adept at the conditions here. UK WILL STRUGGLE. To be successful in australia YOU NEED a WORLD CLASS SPINNER. Monty is sh*te. So is Giles. they can get away with a support man in the UK in Giles, not here.

Trescothik will get found out here playing away from his body against the extra bounce. Will not average 30. Strauss cant play here, as evidence a few years ago when he played in the 2's for sydney Uni!!!

Cook is goint to world class. expect to see more of him late in the series.

Bell does not like the extra bounce. But will play a part.

Flintoff is Flintoff and Jones is sh*te!

Hoggard will bowl well with the new rock but wont have a second spell in him (hence the need for that WC spinner) Harmison will be erratic and go for runs, but will go through us atleast once.

Monty will be a wreck by seris end. When the crowds at the MCG and Gabba are through with him and his feilding he will go back to the uni standard cricket he belongs in.

Plunket will be world class. This is a good learning experience. Will show glimses but will struggle against this quality batting 1 to 7.

Shah is crap too. Will get found out out.

Australia win 3 nil.

IanG

Coach
Timbo said:
oh and Joyce, who has actually represented Ireland in their pre-ODI days!
Joyce |yet to debut|.
His BROTHER plays for Ireland ffs. Like he used to. How can you claim him? Disqualified for....ah hell you know why.

I've had a look at Ed Joyce's profile. Exactly his brother plays for Ireland. From a cricket family. Not just his brother playing for Ireland but his 2 sisters play for the Irish Women's team

Master Vippo

Juniors
Vaughan out is a massive blow. He was by far and away their best player out here last time. I think the poms will miss him and Jones more than you can appriciate now. You wouldnt hav won the last ashes without Jones, and you wouldnt have even been competetive in the one before without Vaughan.

Also laugh off Vaughan captaincy at your peril. Maybe it was the coaches plans, but theres a reason Eng could drop so many catches and still beat us last time, great plans.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fred's Ashes bid on knife edge
By Ben Dorries
July 24, 2006

ENGLAND all rounder Andrew Flintoff has been tipped to rise from the despair of ankle surgery and be "ready, fresh and firing" to take the Ashes by storm this summer.

Flintoff ... Troy Cooley believes he'll be fit. Pic: Agence France-Presse
Troy Cooley, the former England fast bowling coach, insists Flintoff's surgery blow is a blessing in disguise for an injury-depleted England, which desperately needs his talent if it is to threaten Australia this summer.

The world's best all rounder and likely England Ashes skipper if he's fit will go under the surgeon's knife this week, ruling him out for three months, including the rest of the Test series against Pakistan and the ICC Champions Trophy in India.

It will leave him only a few weeks of net bowling, and possibly a first-class match against South Australia, before the first Ashes Test at the Gabba in November.

But Cooley, credited with giving England's bowlers a destructive advantage during last year's Ashes, says the enforced rest and rehabilitation will be a bonus for Flintoff.

"There's obviously a good reason why he's having the surgery now. I'm sure he'll be ready, fresh and firing when he gets here," Cooley said.

"I've seen 'Freddie' get prepared to play in next to no time. He will find a way to make sure he gets the bowling he needs before the Ashes.

"The surgery is the best thing for him because he will be injury-free and ready to go."

The news of Flintoff's injury is the latest of repeated setbacks to England in its quest to retain the Ashes.

Advertisement:
Ashes-winning skipper Michael Vaughan will miss the series with a knee injury, reverse-swing king Simon Jones has a similar problem and is unlikely to be fit and left-arm spin bowler Ashley Giles is labouring with a hip injury.

Former England skipper Michael Atherton fears history is in danger of repeating itself, saying the situation is similar to England's last tour of Australia in 2002-2003.

England arrived with several players who were not fully fit and Australia went on to retain the Ashes in a mere 11 days before winning the series 4-1.

"It was a shambolic start to England's last Ashes tour and the selectors were very clear when they said, 'We will not do this again. We will not take players who are not fully match-fit'," Atherton said.

"But they are going to be faced with this situation with Andrew Flintoff, that here's a guy who has played minimal cricket for the best part of eight or nine months, but a guy they want to captain the side out there.

"It's going to be an interesting question because he's going to be getting on that plane without any knowledge really that he's fully match-fit."

Arthroscopy to clear tiny fragments of ankle bone should not normally demand lengthy rehabilitation - South Africans Allan Donald and Shaun Pollock have had the operation successfully.

Meanwhile, Australia opening batsman Justin Langer has dismissed claims by national selector Merv Hughes that Australia was "too matey" with England during last year's shock Ashes loss.

Langer, who cracked a triple century for Somerset last week, said Hughes was off the mark.

"Imagine an Ashes contest being played like a village game. That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard," Langer said.

"We played good, hard cricket on the field and had a beer off it, and that's how it should be."

The Courier-Mail

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19888136-23212,00.html

Latest posts