What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE !!

Providence

Juniors
Here's something that'll give you a shock...

The team went for some sand hill running last week and out of the whole squad, Nigel Vagana was the slowest in getting up a particulary steep sand hill.

To my surprise I learned that Danny Nutley was one of the first to reach the top.

Providence said:

The team went for some sand hill running last week and out of the whole squad, Nigel Vagana was the slowest in getting up a particulary steep sand hill.

To my surprise I learned that Danny Nutley was one of the first to reach the top.

Not all that surprising, as sandhill running is more about power than flat speed. Nutley has loads of power but not necessarily much speed; Vagana would be the opposite.

Providence

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
Providence said:

Not all that surprising, as sandhill running is more about power than flat speed. Nutley has loads of power but not necessarily much speed; Vagana would be the opposite.

No offence inteded, but I can tell you haven't done much sand running in your time then.

I'm a lifeguard and grew up doing nippers at Caves Beach surf club. I've done plenty of sand running in my time.

It's got nothing to do with speed or power.

Sand running, and hill running in particular is an endurance and cardiovascular exercise.

It obviously helps to be lighter and more agile, but the "power" you draw on when running in sand is your lung capacity, a derivative of your fitness.

This exercise mainly showed who was in the best shape.

carcharias

Immortal
To my surprise I learned that Danny Nutley was one of the first to reach the top
For sure! last year he made heaps of good runs up the guts with his speed. I still think he would make a good hooker.

Providence said:
No offence inteded, but I can tell you haven't done much sand running in your time then.

That much is true. :lol:

Providence said:
It's got nothing to do with speed or power.

Sand running, and hill running in particular is an endurance and cardiovascular exercise.

Yeah, power was the wrong word, I was thinking more along the lines of stamina - the endurance athlete versus the sprinter thing. I think we're trying to say the same thing but you expressed it a lot more clearly!

Just on Gibbo. He apparently tore his groin in early pre-season training. That was probably why he was not running at the sandhills. Not sure how serious it is though and how long it will keep him out for

Latest posts