What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use assets, say Bigwigs (Leader 28/12)

A high-powered meeting of business leaders and club sponsors have urged Cronulla Sharks to make better use of their assets and become more self-sufficient in their new drive for success, both on and off the field. Sharks board members were told the club had the potential to duplicate the giant Panthers club following the NSW government's decision to allow a rezoning of the Sharks' land around their Woolooware leagues club and around Toyota park.

The meeting was inspired by new coach Ricky Stuart and his manager John Fordham, who accompanied the likes of Sony BMG head Dennis Handlin and winemaking chief Brian McGuigan to the meeting with Sharks executives headed by Barry Pierce. Alan Stephenson, the commercial chief of sponsor Harvey Norman, said the meeting was very proactive, aimed at helping the Sharks board.

"It was a very positive with plenty of ideas." said Stephenson. "I think it is fair to say the Sharks know they have to spend a dollar to make a dollar to become more successful. There is an air of excitement with Ricky Stuart as coach, but I think he has a mandate to be much more than that at the Sharks." Stephenson described the land rezoning as the "most exciting thing that has happened at the Sharks in 20 years. Yet a lot of fans would not realise it...the club now must turn it into something useful." he said. "The Sharks really have the potential to build something akin to the Panthers in the west.

The Sharks have increased the size of their marketing department to accompany the new drive for the supporter and business dollar, co-inciding with the NRL's push to have football clubs less reliant on their leagues clubs.

By Brad Forrest.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Brad Forrest has written some excellent reports on the sharks lately in the Leader. Shame they are not online like a few years ago.

Danger

Juniors
I still reckon we should bring back peter gow, we were going great guns while he was on the board.

spider

Coach
sutho goldfish said:
I still reckon we should bring back peter gow, we were going great guns while he was on the board.

not forgetting the football club [annual report figures] rely heavily on funding from the Leagues Club - hence Peter Gow should stay away, far away.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
peter Gow served his purpose. he is no longer complimentary to what the Sharks are trying to acheive and are going to acheive.
if Gow had his way, the assetts would have been sold off 5 years ago & he would have gotten his return.
not taking anything away from him, he was great for the club & by all accounts a good bloke as long as you dont work for him. he was treated poorly in the end by the current board.
but it is a big no thanks to the return of Peter Gow.
the current board is doing a marvellous job.

Hallatia

Referee
I think this is a most interesting development, I can not wait to see how it all pans out

SadShark

Bench
I think if Ricky can't get these sorry, f**k Knarklers to win us a premiership and by that I mean making Cronulla a team where good players want to come & not just picking up the dregs or players looking to take it easy, then nobody will - ever.

The mob of so called businessmen that currently run the joint couldn't get the paparazzi to turn up at a Paris Hilton "sans pants" trampoline party, let alone organise what we need for a premiership.

spider

Coach
SadShark said:
I think if Ricky can't get these sorry, f**k Knarklers to win us a premiership and by that I mean making Cronulla a team where good players want to come & not just picking up the dregs or players looking to take it easy, then nobody will - ever.
So get Ricky to achieve results through his coaching ability and the playing roster that is available - yeah, agreed.

The mob of so called businessmen that currently run the joint couldn't get the paparazzi to turn up at a Paris Hilton "sans pants" trampoline party, let alone organise what we need for a premiership.
Ok - the stage is yours.

In your opinion, what more do these "so called businessmen" need to do to provide a premiership SS?

Here is your chance to substantiate your statement and say what you think is needed to achieve this?

fizman

Bench
SpiderShark said:
So get Ricky to achieve results through his coaching ability and the playing roster that is available - yeah, agreed.

Ok - the stage is yours.

In your opinion, what more do these "so called businessmen" need to do to provide a premiership SS?

Here is your chance to substantiate your statement and say what you think is needed to achieve this?

Whilst I didn't make the statement, I would like to add into the debate.
What I would like to see is some long term faith shown to the people that the current Board appoint. It is unacceptable to me that we have had John Lang, Chris Anderson, Stuart Raper and now Ricky Stuart in how many seasons??

It would now appear that the John Fordham Group will potentially have a very large influence on the club. The concern is that is could become overpowered by Fordhams people running the show and become the John Fordham Sharks. On the other hand, by getting successful business people into the club, it will have the experience, business acuman and influence to create a powerful football club, particularly off field.

From an unbiased position, I would also say that we were very lucky that the Roosters sacked Stuart. Credit to the club for his appointment, but I shudder to think what 2007 would have been like with Raper, or as was heavily tipped Lam.

My personal view is that I would like to see the big wigs from Sony and Harvey Norman having direct input into the club. If it came down to a CV comparison, I am sure that these businessmen would be more qualified.

spider

Coach
fizman said:
It is unacceptable to me that we have had John Lang, Chris Anderson, Stuart Raper and now Ricky Stuart in how many seasons??
there is a case for and against for all - but the latest coach was going backwards.

It would now appear that the John Fordham Group will potentially have a very large influence on the club.
that is a good thing for any club - especially running off their own success.

The concern is that is could become overpowered by Fordhams people running the show and become the John Fordham Sharks.
well - that would be the members choice at an election???

On the other hand, by getting successful business people into the club, it will have the experience, business acuman and influence to create a powerful football club, particularly off field.
agreed.

From an unbiased position, I would also say that we were very lucky that the Roosters sacked Stuart. Credit to the club for his appointment, but I shudder to think what 2007 would have been like with Raper, or as was heavily tipped Lam.
and did so irrelevant of cost - showing they are prepared to buy what is needed to accomplish what is required.

My personal view is that I would like to see the big wigs from Sony and Harvey Norman having direct input into the club. If it came down to a CV comparison, I am sure that these businessmen would be more qualified.
no comparison required fizman - there success speaks for itself.

anything they offer in the way of their knowledge or services should be taken on board by the club.

gavin_miller

Juniors
I've had some dealings with Denis from Sony and I can tell you that aside from being a somewhat older quirky fella (think Peter Gow in a broad sense), he is one hard nosed tough businessman who the company cannot replace. He has respect worldwide in his field. How that relates to a football team I don't know!?! But from a club/company perspective, you couldn't find anyone more high profile from the entertainment business world. I don't know if I'd want him on the board, but as an advisor I think he could be an asset.

coolumsharkie

Referee
SpiderShark said:
there is a case for and against for all - but the latest coach was going backwards.

You give good quote

that is a good thing for any club - especially running off their own success.

Geez you give good quote

well - that would be the members choice at an erection???

c'mon now your turning me on

ooohhh baby

and did so irrelevant of cost - showing they are prepared to buy what is needed to accomplish what is required

Stop it!!

anything they offer in the way of their knowledge or services should be taken on board by the club.

Dooshka..and now we can all get some sleep... skip the jokes joe...I'll have a claytons... the drink when your not having a drink.

spider

Coach
gavin_miller said:
he is one hard nosed tough businessman who the company cannot replace. He has respect worldwide in his field. How that relates to a football team I don't know!?!

It may have been an overall concept for both entities [football/Leagues Club] maybe - management of assets, profit driven incentives, motivation, customer service, achieving goals, etc.

They are successful men in what they do so it would be a worthwhile exercise listening to what they have to offer.

SadShark

Bench
OK - I'm impressed here - we're talking about business and that is what counts in getting good players on mass to the club in the first place. I'm happy to inject my thoughts for what little it's worth or counts for.

Firstly, the playing roster we've endured for the last 5 seasons & forthcoming season for that matter, have been substandard. Most of the dollars have gone to one Brett Kimmorley, who has probably put his best foot forward but not reproduced the form or had the playing support to win a premiership.

$425,000 a year for him alone is not good business. When you see that Dykes & Kearney had the best potential in 2006, I'd have worked on that. Campbell @ half was not broken and the advent of Anderson's appointment spelt his demise. Exit Lang, Lang, Campbell & Donato and a premiership to the Panthers 2003. Not good business.

Season 2007 will elude to whether Stuart can piece the best of a mediocre NRL standard team together for more wins than losses. With current playing roster, that is a near impossible task. Please go ahead & prove me wrong - I'm up for a massive slice of humble pie if it's warmed up.

So, where we need improvement is to work on incentives, win bonuses and sidelines for legal player income, to come & play for the Sharks. Managers must coodinate & organise player commercal deals, real estate investment options, money management courses, continued wealth creation after premiership life. As I say - it can be done legally and be an attractive option for this type of education to be provided to the players.

With guidance and close monitoring programs, this type of wealth creation would benefit the clubs players substantially. Money maketh the desire to attract the players who are rewarded for their efforts & incentives provided will make player want to play for Cronulla - not just want to live in it because of the lifestyle, then play for some other premiership winning team than the Sharks. The lifestyle is not being utilised to it's full advantage.

We've got the current Australian coach but not one current Australian player. This must change and negotiation skills for the businessmen that work for Cronulla must improve. The injection of input on negotiations from the likes of Ricky Stuart's businessmen friends, that have been mentioned, has to improve our standing on this issue. We must get who we want and influence them that Cronulla is the future for them financially.

I believe we have the tools to implement strategies to influence great players, with good incentives to want to win & a want for a better future - all on the back of signing, playing your guts out & winning long term at Cronulla.

P.S - Don't get me started on the club's marketing because it'll do my head in. Much more improvement needed in this area.

bluey

Bench
I love that post sadshark, Pretty well agree.
Please start on the marketing as i feel like a good read.