What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

v8 Supercars

yeh_yeh_

Juniors
with 2 rounds 2 go in the v8s who do u think will win the championship?

i think that if ambrose wins it will boost fords popularity amoungst the young fans and make nest season even more competative.

this season has been great cause holden hasn't dominated as much, which i don't mind even though i support holdens.

i don't care who wins this season.

quick sticks

Juniors
Murphy will be hard to stop from now, and it only makes it better for him with the next round in nz. I think Ambrose has dropped of in the last few rounds and Ingall is the only other real challenger now. As long as the skaife the whinging sook does not win i will be happy.

ozbash

Referee
1-0 to murph

Kiwi ace Greg Murphy closed in on the series lead when he took out the first race at the PlaceMakers V8 International in the rain at Pukekohe this afternoon.

Murphy, chasing his hat-trick of round victories in New Zealand following wins at Pukekohe in 2001 and 2002, took out the 36-lap (100km) first race this afternoon in superb fashion.

The win sees Murphy (KMart Racing Team Holden) close 62 points of leader Marcos Ambrose (Stone Brothers Racing Ford), who struggled in the conditions, finishing sixth.

Murphy finished eight seconds clear of Todd Kelly (Holden Racing Team) and Garth Tander (Garry Rogers Motorsport Holden), some of their best results of the season.

The New Zealander struggled in the wet conditions off pole position, after officials ruled out the earlier Top-10 Shootout when rain started to fall during the flying lap.

Defending series champion Mark Skaife (Holden Racing Team) and Max Wilson (Shell Helix Racing Ford) forced through on the inside, making contact on the second corner, with both spinning off the track in the slippery conditions. This let Murphy quickly through in to the lead.

Most of the field pitted after a first corner incident involving five cars which forced a safety car period, with some slick work from the Stone Brothers Racing Team giving Ambrose the advantage over Murphy.

However the series leader struggled under braking in the wet conditions, as Murphy sped past. Ambrose, knowing that sixth place or better for the remaining two races at Pukekohe and the final round in Sydney will earn him the overall title, decided that caution was the best option.

While disappointed his car did not handle the conditions better, he was content with his sixth place finish.

Craig Lowndes (Ford Performance Racing) and Steven Richards (Castrol Perkins Holden), who chose not to stop after the early crash, fighting out the lead until they were forced to stop for their compulsory pit before the window closed after lap 25.

Murphy had a trouble-free run to the finish ahead of Kelly and Tander, with Kiwi Paul Radisich (Betta Electrical Ford) claiming fifth ahead of Ambrose.

Skaife recovered from his second corner clash to produce the fastest lap of the race as he pushed through the field from last to seventh in a superb drive.

Australian-domiciled Kiwi Jim Richards led the Australian team as he won the first race of the Porsche GT3 Trans-Tasman series ahead of highly promising young New Zealand driver Matt Halliday.

And Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker edged out his boss Grant Dalton to win the Hallensteins Mini Celebrity Challenge, as the pair showed a natural enjoyment for the watery conditions. Comedian Mike King finished third.

There are two further races to complete the PlaceMakers V8 International tomorrow, both over the longer 150km distance.

Megalomaniac

Juniors
Well no need for guessing anymore as Ambrose has taken out this year's V8 Championship as he completed a wipeout at this weekend's round at Eastern Creek. I cannot think of anyone more deserving than Ambrose, and how good is it to finally see Ford back from their drought and make the competition competitive again! It was a real bugger to see Murphy crash out this weekend, and personally, I think it's great to see someone besides Skaife taking out the competition! Quite frankly, it does get boring when one team and one person dominates.

Congratulations to Ambrose and Ford, and bring on 2004!

The Colonel

Immortal
How big of a sook is Skaife??? He conveniently forgot that he tried to force Ingall out of the corner and Ingall retaliated. But of course Skaife wouldn't do anything wrong. I wish Ingall had of kept driving at him.... the sooner Skaife leaves the sport the better........

Matt23

Staff member
Skaife might be a sook, Ingall takes out one of the rivals...that makes SBR look dodgy and takes a lot of the gloss off Ambrose's win.

Matt23 said:
Skaife might be a sook, Ingall takes out one of the rivals...that makes SBR look dodgy and takes a lot of the gloss off Ambrose's win.

Ambrose already had the title wrapped up by the time of the incident (which was on the 42nd lap).

None the less, it was a disappointing way to end the season and both drivers should have known better.

The Colonel

Immortal
If you look at the footage Skaife wasn't exactly playing handies either. He was giving as good as he got.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ambrose deserved the win, and Skaife deserved to get shunted. SBR isn't dodgy at all, tell me how is Ingall driving any different to when he was with Holden? He is not, he didn't get called the enforcer for nothing. The only reason he is copping it now is because he is driving a ford and not a holden.

Whats dodge is HRT and Skaife, talk about a one man team, they might as well have 1 car. It seems every time Kelly was in front of Skaife on the track and pulling away he had a "bad" pit stop where something went "wrong" which put him well behind Skaife and somehow cost him track speed. I guess Skaife doesn't want a repeat of Bright where is team mate might actually beat him. Ingall should have done everyone a favour and scored himself a Skaife nudge bar in the front of his falcon to aid in some enforcing.

Dingle

Juniors
I am the number one Ford and Ambrose fan around. I've followed him since his first race and i was so stoked to see him finally grab the championship.
The only bad thing about the race was the skaife/ingall incident. Dont get me wrong, i greatly enjoy seeing skaife fail, but really even the most biast ford fan can see that ingall had a more then equal role in the collision. If incidents like this continue to happen, they could lead to a ridiculous judiciary system as in the football codes and lead to racing becoming too soft.

Also I reckon Ambrose shoulda secured the title rounds ago. Whats your thoughts on the points system and how can it be improved?

Sweeper

Juniors
Dingle said:
Whats your thoughts on the points system and how can it be improved?
Ok. Don't watch too much V8, but i'll say this. No dropping points from the worst round, it just makes it too complicated for anyone to work out who's winning the thing!

Also, more points for a win, as a win is what they're racing for. Racing isn't about consistency, consistency shouldn't win a title. A winner should win the title!

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Good to see Ford win. Finally!

But the best thing they can do is remove those ugly wings! Reduce downforce and you instantly get better and closer racing. Cars can pass. And the drivers need better throttle control which makes for some interesting races!

Big, fast, loud V8's power sliding around the corner with the back seriously hanging out. THAT is racing my friends.

Latest posts