What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale David Morrow

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chairman Peter V'landys AM today paid tribute to broadcaster David Morrow, who has passed away.

One of the most recognisable voices in Rugby League, Morrow was announced as an inductee into the NRL Hall of Fame last week. He died after a battle with brain cancer.

Morrow was a radio and television commentator for the ABC from 1980 to 2014, calling Saturday football to a national audience on ABC television until 1996. He joined 2GB's rugby league commentary team in 2015.

"David has been one of the great voices of the game - recognised around the country for his wit, his insight and his knowledge," Mr V'landys said.

"I had the pleasure of knowing David throughout my career in sport and he was a champion in every sense of the word. I have been honoured and privileged to know him as a friend.

"In his final days, David knew how cherished he was in the Rugby League community, having been informed of his induction into the Hall of Fame. While it is terrible that we have lost David, it is comforting to know that he and his family were aware what the game felt about his achievements.

"David's life and contribution will be celebrated on August 21 at the Hall of Fame dinner. On behalf of the Commission, I extend our sincerest condolences to David's family, and all those who worked with him and knew him.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
RIP Thirsty. Great commentator.

Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, told so many stories and I remember one he told about the Western Reds first game.

Thoughts go out to his family and close friends.

gregstar

Referee
Terrible news.

The ABC radio & TV had an awesome lineup of commentators and co-commentators through the 80's and 90's and Morrow was at the pointy end of the list of all-time greats.

Maxwell, Gasnier, Morrow, Wilkins, Ryan & Boland were all wonderful and it's so sad that a second one of them has passed.

Thank you for your company every weekend in winter Thirsty!
Whenever saints win it again, I'll be thinking of you!
Even though I suspect I'll be seated beside you when it happens.

Wizardman

First Grade
These days, most of our present commentators tend to be disliked for one reason or another. One commentator which nobody has said a bad word about is David Morrow.

He is 100% the best radio commentator I've heard over the radio. He was great to listen to when talking about the game too. RIP to a great of our game.