What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale Kevin Dann

murraymob

Coach
Sad to hear of the passing of former Penrith fullback Kevin Dann
Penrith. 121 games 40 tries 100 goals
1 field goal 322 points total

Nsw 1 game 1 goal 2 points
Played during a time that we had not much money to spend .A true champion on and off the field

Thunder Road

Juniors
Was one of my favourites as a kid, I remember being terribly disappointed when he missed out on playing for Australia after a below par performance for NSW, and he never quite recaptured his form for Penrith after that. I have the 1981 28-10 win v Manly when he had a blinder on DVD. I’ll be watching that tonight,RIP

The_Frog

First Grade
Was one of my favourites as a kid, I remember being terribly disappointed when he missed out on playing for Australia after a below par performance for NSW, and he never quite recaptured his form for Penrith after that. I have the 1981 28-10 win v Manly when he had a blinder on DVD. I’ll be watching that tonight,RIP

That was some game, I remember it well. Panthers all over them early but faded before halftime to go in 10-8 down. Coach Stacker said the right words as they ran over the top of a star studded Manly side, four converted tries to zip if I remember correctly. This side still finished second last, having got the spoon the year before, but the improvement was immense. Royce Simmons was in this side. The first piece of the puzzle that culminated in 1991. Brad Izzard came the following year, and then Greg Alexander in '84.

RIP Kevin Dann, Our very first NSW rep.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
I was so proud when the Panthers ran onto the SCG in 1977 when we played on the League-a-thon weekend, especially when Kevin scored a try V Balmain. Kevin also scored in the following year's series game V the Sharks.

R.I.P. Kev.

Das Hassler

Bench
Sad to hear this...through mutual friends i knew him a little bit around the time he was trialing for Penrith and into his first season or so...remember a really nice guy and a surprise packet quiet achiever. I think a bit of high expectation around him may have diminished his love of playing a bit after a ( too short) while...maybe wrong. Again...real sorry to hear the news...RIP

GongPanther

Referee
Is that the Panthers compilation DVD?

GongPanther

Referee
Remembered when Kevin had a sports store half way down queen st. Before that, it was a pool room called The Golden Cue.

Yeah I’ve heard of him.

Those earlier days Panthers players were pretty special blokes. The heart and soul.

A bit later, Chris Mortimer was a favourite of mine, a bit of mongrel and a marquee who came over.

Des as well I think.

RIP.

Kilkenny

Coach
Remembered when Kevin had a sports store half way down queen st. Before that, it was a pool room called The Golden Cue.

Well done, your brain cells are in fine shape. What was the pub nearest to the Railway Station called back in those days? It’s the St Marys Hotel now, but was it known as the Rex? Maybe that was its nickname. It was a tough pub back in the day, before RSA and Security Guards. Having said that I night managed at the old Bidwill Clock as a second job in those times and it was scary.

GongPanther

Referee
Well done, your brain cells are in fine shape. What was the pub nearest to the Railway Station called back in those days? It’s the St Marys Hotel now, but was it known as the Rex? Maybe that was its nickname. It was a tough pub back in the day, before RSA and Security Guards. Having said that I night managed at the old Bidwill Clock as a second job in those times and it was scary.
Yep. The pub near the railway station was part of a chain called Rex hotels. Just like the old North St Marys Millers (near where the St Marys ground now stands) was part of the Millers chain.

Surprisingly, I never had a beer in either pubs. Drinking wasn't my interest in those days.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yep. The pub near the railway station was part of a chain called Rex hotels. Just like the old North St Marys Millers (near where the St Marys ground now stands) was part of the Millers chain.

Surprisingly, I never had a beer in either pubs. Drinking wasn't my interest in those days.

Were young ladies (girls) your priority back in the day. Might explain why you didn’t have a beer in the Rex or Bidwill Clock even.

The Robin Hood Hotel.

Get smashed there and off to the Drive Ins, hide in the boot with 2 mates.

Saw some films there that changed my life.

Lord of the rings was good.

All those Orcs reminded me of visits to Brookvake Oval.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
The Robin Hood Hotel.

Get smashed there and off to the Drive Ins, hide in the boot with 2 mates.

Saw some films there that changed my life.

Lord of the rings was good.

Im not too sure many Penrith Panthers fans frequented the old Robin Hood Hotel outside the Blacktown Railway Station back in the day. We are far more cultured and educated than to lower ourselves to have partaken in such a low establishment. The Red Cow maybe, for those supporters who had made the daily commute from the city back out to the chosen land but no the old Robin Hood was frequented by persons not likely to have had an interest in rugby league.

Depending on your age maybe you saw the Alvin Purple trilogy back in the days, at the Blacktown Drive In. Seeing a girls naked breasts was a pretty big thing back then.

GongPanther

Referee
Were young ladies (girls) your priority back in the day. Might explain why you didn’t have a beer in the Rex or Bidwill Clock even.
Drinking didn't appeal to me. And when I eventually did go to the pub, a beer would last about 1/2 hour. Even when I was drinking...I really wasn't.