What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes

redv13

Bench
BLM I agree, Holmes will be mostly 29 years old in 2025/ 30 in 2026/ 31 in 2027. So good years ( not best still available). Genuinely very fast and a good goalkicker. Paying probably $100k a season overs, however must give Shane Flanagan the reins to sink or swim.
He is a current Australian and QLD player. I don’t think 833K a season over 3 years is overs

st.phil

Bench
I know it's probably the best fit for what was available but to me it feels the same as Hook bringing back his oldies.
Luc and Val on that edge defensively doesn't give any confidence.
Happy to be proven wrong though.
He’s 29 , 6 months older than Dyl Edwards. 3 year term is bang on , we have a crop of youngsters too in finau, rumble, Williams etc but we needed a rep kill and we got it. Well done flanno

shiloh dc

Juniors
Consider this - we are paying Holmes more than the Rorters paid Suaalii, Keary JWH or Manu this year (according to NRL360?
Over 800K for a player that has passing and tackling limitations?????

56to66

Juniors
Most thought about Josh Durgan over the hill. Too old the shark signed him and they got more value. Than everybody expected, He played really for the Sharks.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Oldish for first grade just hard to see him trending up amongst some faster younger wingers but I’ve been surprised before. Liddle playing as good as ever after being busted with injuries.
His fast and powerful. His defence had been shoddy this year and hope Flanno can fix that
I hope he does play wing but happy wherever
Souths sign Aitken at 29 snd Nikorima extends at 30 but we sign a 29 year old playing origin and we are signing old age pensioners?
Geez we were a funny lot of supporters
It is hard to be positive as a Dragon supporter of late
But surely those that want to look can see the slow signs of improvement under Flanno
Baby steps

BLM01

First Grade
BLM I agree, Holmes will be mostly 29 years old in 2025/ 30 in 2026/ 31 in 2027. So good years ( not best still available). Genuinely very fast and a good goalkicker. Paying probably $100k a season overs, however must give Shane Flanagan the reins to sink or swim.
100k required at our stage but won’t break the bank
Geez we paid Lonax 200k overs for years and others like JDB Hunt Norman and anyone else that signed under Price Mary and Millward

BLM01

First Grade
I just hope he can get more out of him than Payten has. His form was excellent at Cronulla.
He has been hot and cold and colder this year in defence
He is not alone JT and many others have been in the same boat since Todd has been there as his man management does not appear to be as strong as other top line coaches
In saying that I think he is a good hard coach who does not mince words

BLM01

First Grade
Consider this - we are paying Holmes more than the Rorters paid Suaalii, Keary JWH or Manu this year (according to NRL360?
Over 800K for a player that has passing and tackling limitations?????
Keary on more
And believe what you want at NRL 360
And Roisters paid that $$ before even representing
Same as Lonax but he has less pace

Parko1310

Juniors
Wing probably his best spot, but a good signing nonetheless. Versatile, quick, very good goal kicker (if the not the best in the league), and can nail a field goal too. Not that old at all as some are suggesting, and with so many young guys coming into our top 30 next year and over the next few years, how many 19/20/21 year olds do people want? We need to continue signing younger players to gradually replace players in the 30 as time goes on, but we don't necessarily need to fill up more of the current top 30 with players who have no experience.

Anyway, very good player. Don't think we could afford to sign a Staggs calibre player for example now, but I wonder if with the Rava money we could afford Averillo for example for centre, pushing Holmes to the wing. Food for thought

Latest posts