What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

betcats

Referee
I appreciate your insight very much Pete but Moylan has come a long way since 2014, that comment is way off. Barring injuries there has been improvement from him every single year.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Moylan is a skillful player, but has he realised his potential? Is he all that he can be?

That's the point I was getting at.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Pete, there is no room on LU for your thought out, well structured and accurate posts... Please cease and desist this behaviour immediately...

Ha ha but seriously, thanks for your input mate - I legitimately enjoyed reading your posts.

betcats

Referee
Moylan is a skillful player, but has he realised his potential? Is he all that he can be?

That's the point I was getting at.

He has more improvement in him no doubt but that doesn't mean he hasn't since 14. He has added to his game or stepped up in some way every year since debuting. He might of fulfilled his potential already if Griffin had moved him last year.

I agree that hook f**ks many players around. Carty has been f**ked around. Both Waqa Blake and and Peachey were in red hot form for the back end of last season playing in centres. So what does hook do this year? Moves waqa to the wing and moves him from side to side multiple times and benches Peachey, its f**king geniused.

Big Pete

Referee
He has more improvement in him no doubt but that doesn't mean he hasn't since 14. He has added to his game or stepped up in some way every year since debuting.

I agree that he has shown improvement since, but hasn't been able to maintain that form and so far in 2017 he's rarely been able to play to the best of his ability. Even when he was demoted to the NSW Cup, he couldn't lead his side to victory against a lowly Newcastle Knights side. This isn't about Matty Moylan, I still think there's plenty of great games left in him, but not under Griffin.

betcats

Referee
I agree that he has shown improvement since, but hasn't been able to maintain that form and so far in 2017 he's rarely been able to play to the best of his ability. Even when he was demoted to the NSW Cup, he couldn't lead his side to victory against a lowly Newcastle Knights side. This isn't about Matty Moylan, I still think there's plenty of great games left in him, but not under Griffin.

Will agree to disagree because even under Grffin he has had some red hot form over a number of weeks this season and last.

Tronald Crump

Juniors

I can see your point. He can be consistently better and with the right coach he probably could take his game up another level to what it is now.

OldPanther

Coach

While I disagree about Moylan I like your posts. Well thought out and adds to the discussion well.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
He has more improvement in him no doubt but that doesn't mean he hasn't since 14. He has added to his game or stepped up in some way every year since debuting. He might of fulfilled his potential already if Griffin had moved him last year.

I agree that hook f**ks many players around. Carty has been f**ked around. Both Waqa Blake and and Peachey were in red hot form for the back end of last season playing in centres. So what does hook do this year? Moves waqa to the wing and moves him from side to side multiple times and benches Peachey, its f**king geniused.

It should have been Peachey and Blake's centre spots to lose. They should have been given the appropriate time in the centres. Not lose their spots straight away to rush back 2 guys from long term injury with limited match practise.

OldPanther

Coach
Just watched Merrin have an interview and the 1 thing that actually sounded like honesty and enthusiasm was when he mentions having a good training session today. The rest was generic player interview. I'm very curious about that.

Royce is King

Juniors
Guys it has been a while since i have been in here but i have been reading . The last time i posted was after sitting through the broncos game and i had the sh#$s BIG TIME. It was more about the refusal of hook to look logic in the face and move Moylan to his rightful spot at no.6 , bring in Edwards in the fullback role and put our best players on the park. I had had enough of the coach and it looked like our players had too.

But since then our team has looked better.....not a top 4 team that we all want but better. The coach is not going anywhere in 2017 so its no use people doing a gasket over Griffin. I personally have no idea if this guy is a good coach or not but here a few facts in black and white.

1. He is the only Penrith coach in history to coach a team that missed the finals the year before into the finals in his first year as coach.

2. We are not dead yet in 2017.

3. Since 2003 we have won the same amount of comps as ..... Canterbury , Brisbane , Roosters , Storm ,Cowboys and South Sydney..... look at the, rosters , money, membership numbers, population , etc that these clubs have compared to us... think about that for a second.

4.Since Griffin has become coach we have resigned basically every player that we have wanted.... and as far as i know, all players signed on without going on the open market.... basically does not happen in todays game.... that is something that i think we all overlook. If all this talent did not think the guy could coach why would they play under him for the next in some cases 5 yrs?

5. Phil Gould is no dope.. If Griffin was as shit as some people seem to" know "he is do you think Gould would allow him to continue in the role as coach just so he does not have to admit he got it wrong as our football boss?

As i said from the start I am no expert in judging if Griffin is a great coach or not but imo he has the best players that he can pick in our team this weekend and who knows .... a win against the Eagles could be the start of a run for us.

A new coach and Griffin to be sacked .... Not going to happen.

betcats

Referee
Guys it has been a while since i have been in here but i have been reading . The last time i posted was after sitting through the broncos game and i had the sh#$s BIG TIME. It was more about the refusal of hook to look logic in the face and move Moylan to his rightful spot at no.6 , bring in Edwards in the fullback role and put our best players on the park. I had had enough of the coach and it looked like our players had too.

But since then our team has looked better.....not a top 4 team that we all want but better. The coach is not going anywhere in 2017 so its no use people doing a gasket over Griffin. I personally have no idea if this guy is a good coach or not but here a few facts in black and white.

1. He is the only Penrith coach in history to coach a team that missed the finals the year before into the finals in his first year as coach.

2. We are not dead yet in 2017.

3. Since 2003 we have won the same amount of comps as ..... Canterbury , Brisbane , Roosters , Storm ,Cowboys and South Sydney..... look at the, rosters , money, membership numbers, population , etc that these clubs have compared to us... think about that for a second.

4.Since Griffin has become coach we have resigned basically every player that we have wanted.... and as far as i know, all players signed on without going on the open market.... basically does not happen in todays game.... that is something that i think we all overlook. If all this talent did not think the guy could coach why would they play under him for the next in some cases 5 yrs?

5. Phil Gould is no dope.. If Griffin was as shit as some people seem to" know "he is do you think Gould would allow him to continue in the role as coach just so he does not have to admit he got it wrong as our football boss?

As i said from the start I am no expert in judging if Griffin is a great coach or not but imo he has the best players that he can pick in our team this weekend and who knows .... a win against the Eagles could be the start of a run for us.

A new coach and Griffin to be sacked .... Not going to happen.

We have been talking about going on a run to get in the 8 since round 7, I don't give two shits how great Gould is our results speak for themselves. 0-7 against top 8 teams this year. We are a shit footy side right now and Griffin is a mediocre coach at best, his record speaks for itself also. Read the fox sports article, there is nothing redeemable about our play this year, is actually hard to decide what our biggest weakness, attack or defence, neither is NRL standard. We average 10 points against the top while concede 25 points. We literally have no shot against the top half of the competition.

We were re-signing everyone we wanted under Ivan Cleary also so crediting Griffin for that doesn't mean much. After the BYEs are done we are 6 points behind the 8th place team, but yeah I am sure a run is coming to rocket us up the ladder.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
Gus is a very smart guy when it comes to footy, but he's also a very stubborn man. I don't think it's entirely out of the realms of plausibility that his ego would get the better of him in this scenario.

Royce is King

Juniors
So betcats... can Hasler coach.... Ricky Stuart.... Neil Henry???? Its very easy to spit out stats but the coaches i just mentioned are in charge of teams performing worse than us... should they get the arse as well.... We have the 2nd youngest team in the comp ... we have over the last 3-4 yrs invested in youth and rightly so ... but with it comes inconsistency... just the facts.

Copperhead

Juniors
So betcats... can Hasler coach.... Ricky Stuart.... Neil Henry???? Its very easy to spit out stats but the coaches i just mentioned are in charge of teams performing worse than us... should they get the arse as well.... We have the 2nd youngest team in the comp ... we have over the last 3-4 yrs invested in youth and rightly so ... but with it comes inconsistency... just the facts.

Those three sides have all won against top eight sides (unlike us) and have the same number of wins as us and a bye in hand. Hasler IS in trouble, and the other two aren't much chop. Henry at least has the excuse of his team being decimated by injury.

OldPanther

Coach

The problem is he has a history of mediocrity. He went to one of the biggest and most successful clubs and essentially failed. Now that he's had a fair crack here we don't even look like making the 8. We can't beat good opposition etc.

Royce is King

Juniors
Old Panther.... Bottom line is the BIGGEST club in the comp in the Broncos have failed every year since 2006... So Griffin has failed just as much as Bennett and Henjak

betcats

Referee

We have a much better squad than any othe dogs, titans or raiders though I don't really rate henry or stuart.

It might be easy to point out some stats but it is much easier to just say "Gus is smart".

Latest posts