What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Ref

Jono Russell

Bench
Should the video ref be more involved in games?

This is the issue i am putting foward,

If a player gets tackled high and the ref does not notice and play gets stopped due to an injury, the video ref has a look at it and will come in and say that the shot was high.

I was thinking why could they not do this in all circumstances? lets just say player A drops the ball on the 5m line whilst in a tackle, The ref calls knock on and the opposition team takes 30 seconds to regather and play scrum.

Now if on the re-play it shows Player B actully knocks the ball out of Player A's hands, why shouldn't the Video Ref be able to come in and say 'look you have it wrong Mr Bean, Team A's penalty on the 5m line'

Now this would only be affective if it happened with in a 30 second perios, I am not saying ever situation take 5 minutes to look at replays just look at 1 quick replay and if it it obvious that the cal was wrong then change the decision and if not then play on, Whilst this is happening time and play will continue. If the Video Ref does not have an answer before the Team plays the ball or takes the Penalty then the ref's first decision would stand and play to continue as is.

Jono Russell

Bench
Why not, would this not (if done the right way) correct alot of those ref stuff up's, do we not complain week in and week out about how the ref did not see that blatent strip or those 10 foward passes or even that knock on that could have cost a certain try.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Nah.
The less video ref the better i reckon. If the ref misses soemthing or makes a wrong call thats just rugby league and youve gotta cop it on the chin.
Video refs get it wrong sometimes aswell so who will govern them? The commentators? or perhaps a quick national poll to see what the population think?

I say keep it simple.

These kind of things would never need to be considered if the referees were decent. It just seems as though they are getting worse and worse.

Jono Russell

Bench
No matter how good a ref is there will allways be examples where a player will seem to have droped the ball when in reality it was stripped out, why should a team suffer for something they did not do,especially if it is at an important part of the game.

jimmythehand

Juniors
What happens if the video ref doesn't find an infringement, and in that 30 seconds he's been looking, something else happens that he doesn't get a chance to look at?

What happens if someone gets sent off in that 30 seconds and then play goes back. Does the send off stand? Can that player get suspended?

You can only call on the video ref during breaks in play for very good reasons.

On the subject of stripped balls, I'd like to see the "touch footy" rule invoked. If the ref doesn't see what happens, he just tells the player to pick the ball up and play the ball. It's true that the correct decision isn't being made, but at least a 50-50 call is not being made where

a) one team usually gets more 50-50 calls than the other in a game
b) the result of making a decision (either penalty or scrum) has a far greater effect on the momentum of the game than calling play on would.

Jono Russell

Bench
as i started the video ref rule would only be used if there was a stopage liek a scrum being packed, or a tap taking a long time or a penalty to be taken, if it is aquick knock on and the player does a quick tap and runs then the video ref could not come in.

Latest posts