What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs St George round 5

Souths' Alex Johnston Set To Play Alongside Idol Greg Inglis
Michael Carayannis
Published: April 2, 2014 - 10:00PM

Alex Johnston once played the part of a young Greg Inglis in the NRL's 2009 season advertisement, now he is set to play alongside his idol.

Johnston is on the verge of making his NRL debut after being named in an extended South Sydney squad to play St George Illawarra on Saturday night. He was barely in his teens when he was plucked from obscurity to play the role as Inglis in the NRL's advertisement. In the ad, a shirtless Johnston catches a bomb and then scores a try before morphing into Inglis.

Like Inglis, the 19-year-old is a rangy outside back who has had a distinguished junior representative career, having played Australian Schoolboys plus representing NSW in their under-16 and under-18 sides.

He scored a HSC ATAR of 91.8 at Endeavour Sports High School in 2012. Since then, Johnston has eased into full-time training with the Rabbitohs and featured in the club's two pre-season trials plus the Auckland Nines.

Endeavour Sports High School rugby league coach Dave Howlett - who also coaches Cronulla's under-20s side - said Johnston was a rare talent.

"In year 12 he missed significant schooling because he was away with Australian and NSW rugby league teams but he was super organised with his school work and got above 90 in his ATAR," Howlett said.

"He was our best player in 2012 but he was still the most committed trainer, dedicated with everything he did and was the same in the classroom. He was well behaved and focused."

Endeavour finished national runners-up in the fullback's final year. He joined the sports school's athletics program and then switched to cricket until finding his feet in rugby league in year 10.

"He wasn't always destined to be a rugby league player," Howlett said. "He was destined to achieve something though, with his education, athletics, cricket or rugby league.

"Our 2012 team overachieved because the good players like AJ loved the school and were really good on and off the field. It created an environment where the best and most talented player was the hardest working and that had a massive effect on the team.

"He has a real connection with where he comes from. He still comes to our school games."

Johnston played 18 under-20s matches last year for South Sydney in his debut season. The South Sydney junior started this year at that level before being promoted alongside fellow youngsters Cameron McInnes and Aaron Gray into the club's NSW Cup side, North Sydney.

It is the same approach South Sydney coach Michael Maguire took with Dylan Walker last year before his NRL debut.

The Bears coach Wayne Lambkin said Johnston was performing strongly.

"He is achieving at a fairly high standard for his age," Lambkin said. "Hopefully 12 months of playing against men in NSW Cup and maybe even a little touch of first grade this year will be nice for his development.

"Madge (Maguire) has moved him into NSW Cup to see if he is going to be any good to him over the next 12 months.

"He is quite intelligent and is certainly a grounded kid. That's why he is able to take in what's being coached to him. He is very well mannered and no trouble.

"There are no rough edges to him."

Johnston, who was named man of the match in the Australian Schoolboys second Test against Great Britain in 2012, has long dreamed about playing alongside Inglis.

"Ideally, I'd love to play first grade with some of my idols," Johnston told Fairfax Media in 2011."I'd love to play with Greg Inglis. Also Billy Slater, but he is a Queenslander and plays for the Storm, so I'm not sure how that's going to work."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...longside-idol-greg-inglis-20140402-zqpqf.html

GI Cordial

Juniors
We Finally Won ! Completion still poor 23 / 40 however heading in the right direction.

Stats From Backs :
Metres Runs Tackles Missed
G. Inglis 216-M 16-Runs 3-Tackles 1-Missed N. Merritt 48-M 5-Runs 3-Tackles 0-Missed D. Walker 136-M 14-Runs 6-Tackles 0-Missed J. Reddy 34-M 4-Runs 19-Tackles 2-Missed B. Goodwin 94-M 11-Runs 2-Tackles 0-Missed

I don't know whether Merritt will ever score that elusive try to beat the record, Just not does enough work or goes looking for it. Good win by the boys.

Big Sam

First Grade
A pretty good way to stop the rot. Completions were again average but at least the errors were being made in the attacking half of the field unlike recent weeks.

Sutto has to stay at 6 until Keary comes back - simple as that.

I loved the two hooker system. Both rakes bring very different aspects to the game. Use it until Isaac is fit.

African Monkey

First Grade
Yep Sutton's best position for us has always been at 6 imo. He steady's the ship there.

Special mention to Koroisau. This guy is a future star, whether it's for us or someone else. We sure do produce classy dummy halves.

Rabbitohs wake from slumber as Dragons lose second straight NRL match

St George Illawarra Dragons League Match Report League News South Sydney Rabbitohs
Date April 5, 2014 - 10:16PM
South Sydney have shaken off their early season funk. After three consecutive defeats, a slide to near the cellar of the NRL ladder and even speculation of discontent in the camp, it is not before time.

Rampaging Rabbit: Souths' Sam Burgess attacks the Dragons' defence. Photo: Getty Images

What Michael Maguire's men dished up wasn't excatly pretty in a 26-6 defeat of the Dragons on Saturday night but the coach will care little for aesthetics. Returning to the power game that thrust them to within a match of last year's grand final the Rabbitohs shook off the cobwebs the only way they know.
Englishman Sam Burgess might be departing the club and the country at season's end but no one can argue his mind is not on the present job at hand. He was a force to be reckoned with 28 runs and 202 metres under his belt, and topped off a dominant personal display with a try.
Thirteen days after the Major League Baseball began their season at the SCG, Souths had lobbed at the redeveloped grand old lady intent on starting theirs over again. And after three weeks of being more rocks than diamonds this was a result they desperately needed, no matter how it arrived.
The red-and-green won't be immediately re-installed as premiership favourites; they weren't overly slick, but there were good signs they may not be too far from regaining the mojo that went horribly amiss after their 28-8 hiding of the Roosters in round one.
The decision to abort captain John Sutton's early season switch to the back row looks a shrewd one for a start. With Burgess restored at lock the Rabbitohs had a full complement of fully fledged forwards at their disposal, and time and again they were able to trample their way up the ground.
Burgess led the way, and it was no surprise that when they found their way over the line it was via route one. The Englishman and his older brother Luke crossed for tries either side of half-time in similar fashion: thrown flat balls from dummy-half with the line beckoning and smaller opposition tacklers unable to withstand the tide.
The return to the halves of Sutton - in his 212th match breaking Bob McCarthy's club record - also allowed him to share some of the creative load with No.7 Adam Reynolds.
Souths were given a significant leg-up, too, via a lop-sided penalty count, which at one point early in the second half had stretched to 8-1 in their favour, leaving Dragons captain Ben Creagh somewhere between flumomoxed and furious as he approached referee Gavin Badger.
It forced Steve Price's side to cope with a weight of possession and field position against them that made life difficult and ultimately, as they tired from the task, threatened to see them opened up.
Inglis, well contained for much of the Heritage Round contest, put the finishing touches on Souths' second win of the season thanks to some smart play from hooker Apisai Koroisau, and moments later burst through into clear pastures again only for the movement to break down soon after.
There has been plenty made of the absence of the Rabbitohs' star No.9 Issac Luke and while they have certainly missed the New Zealand international - he is sidelined with a shoulder injury - the 21-year-old Fijian rep was another standout for Souths.
It was not the Dragons' evening and they will surrender their surprise spot on top of the premiership ladder, but they were able to ensure they didn't leave the famous venue scoreless when Jack de Bellin crashed over in the final six minutes.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-nrl-match-20140405-zqrab.html#ixzz2y3xmGmxK

Attitude has paid off: Maguire

By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent
NRL.com
6:30am Sun 06th April, 2014

Teammates surround record-breaker John Sutton as the Rabbitohs celebrate their 20-point win over the Dragons at the SCG. Copyright: Robb Cox/NRL Photos

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire says the positive attitude showed by his players over a tough three weeks of successive losses paid off with Saturday night's 26-6 win over the Dragons.

"I thought the energy the boys put in there, the way they have gone through this last three weeks and put the energy into their footy and the way they've practised at training – their training has been really good over the last three weeks," Maguire said after the game.

"It just didn't turn up on the field last week (a 30-18 loss to Canberra at ANZ Stadium) but this week it did. The way they got around each other through the week and worked hard through this period allowed us to get that performance."

He said it is now a case of building on that and turning in similar performances in the coming weeks.

"We know that's our style of game that we played and achieving that each week is the way they went about it and put their heads down at training. We saw that over the last three weeks, we weren't happy with that three-week period and it was up to us to make sure we go about that and fix it and I think we showed that tonight."

Despite intense media scrutiny, Maguire said he didn't feel like his side had been under any pressure because he knew what the side was capable of and would show it eventually.

"I believe in my players and I believe in what they're capable of doing and it's about sticking to that," he said.

"We learned a lot out of tonight's game, we need to make sure we're consistent with it."

Rabbitohs captain John Sutton said the side hasn't been playing that well on the field but that confidence was still high.

"We knew if we played to our standard like we did out there tonight we could get a win," said Sutton, the most capped Rabbitoh of all time. "The boys played really well tonight. I thought our forwards were great going up the middle and we scored some good tries."

Maguire said he was happy with the new-look hooker rotation of youngsters Apisai Koroisau – who debuted in Round 4 against Canberra – and debutant Cameron McInnes.

"I was really happy. For two young players – obviously Api played last week and the way Cam came in there I've got two real quality players and they played off the back of each other which was great," he said.

"[Using two hookers] worked tonight so there's no reason why I wouldn't do that again. I thought they worked really well together."

He also lauded the enthusiasm of young forward Kyle Turner, as well as rugby-bound forward Sam Burgess.

"Sam was outstanding; the amount of work he did tonight was incredible. They all just work for each other and I was just really pleased with how they defended," Maguire said.

http://www.nrl.com/attitude-has-paid-off-maguire/tabid/10874/newsid/77404/default.aspx

souths_pride

Juniors
Yep Sutton's best position for us has always been at 6 imo. He steady's the ship there.

Special mention to Koroisau. This guy is a future star, whether it's for us or someone else. We sure do produce classy dummy halves.

Cameron McInnes looks a real talent as well! Did anyone think that Bryson Goodwin looked better on the wing?

Cameron McInnes looks a real talent as well! Did anyone think that Bryson Goodwin looked better on the wing?

totally agree.Cameron can interchange with Apisai until Issac return.Works well for me.Goodwin was real strong in attack,busted the line on a few occasions.Walker must remain in the centres.

Latest posts