What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vulcans win

Rich102

Staff member
Vodafone Warriors fullback Glen Fisiiahi blasted his way to a hat-trick as the Auckland Vulcans surged into the New South Wales Cup's top eight with their biggest win of the season on Saturday.
With eight tries in total, the Vulcans overpowered the Illawarra Cutters in , kick-starting a clean sweep in all three grades as the Vodafone Warriors beat 44-22 in the NRL and the Vodafone Junior Warriors trounced the Rabbitohs 48-14 in the NYC today.
In his first four appearances of the season, Fisiiahi had scored 10 tries including six alone against the competition's bottom side Western Suburbs. A week later he dotted down three times against Manly's NSW Cup side and followed up with a try when he was brought into the Vodafone Warriors' line-up for their NRL clash against the Sydney Roosters.
Saturday's treble, all of them from long range, gave Fisiiahi 13 tries in five NSW Cup games but, more importantly, helped the 2011 grand finalists to their most complete performance of the year and a hold on eighth spot.
After Fisiiahi had scored the first try of the match, Vodafone Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell came up with the second before Illawarra's former Vodafone Warriors winger Denan Kemp cut the margin to 8-4 at halftime.
The second spell was another matter completely as the Vulcans struck a rich vein of form to run away with the contest.
Fisiiahi had two more, prop Herman Retzlaff snared a double, Vodafone Warriors second rower Sam Lousi powered over for another and winger Willie Peace finished the scoring off. The margin would have been even healthier but for the fact only three of the eight tries were converted.
The Vulcans have now scored 206 points in winning three of their seven matches, a total topped only by (216).
Match details:
At WIN Stadium, Illawarra Cutters 4 (Denan Kemp try)
Auckland Vulcans 38 (Glen Fisiiahi 3, Herman Retzlaff 2, Konrad Hurrell, Sam Lousi, Willie Peace tries; DJ Collier 3 conversions).
Halftime: 8-4 Vulcans.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Denan Kemp :lol: I hope he's still playing when his team make a trip over here.

Fisiiahi though... :crazy: I guess there's just too big a gap between NSW Cup and first grade??

Rich102

Staff member
Denan Kemp :lol: I hope he's still playing when his team make a trip over here.

Fisiiahi though... :crazy: I guess there's just too big a gap between NSW Cup and first grade??

The Fish is great on attack, his defence isn't his strong point though. A bit like Kemp in more ways than one. Perhaps wing isn't such a bad idea?

Highflyers

Juniors
If Fish comes to first grade he needs to be put on wing.. he is at the moment a liability for us as FB due to his D.

beefstew

Juniors
Fish isn't a fullback, he doesn't have the instincts for it, center (preferably) or wing for him,
if he wants to play first grade.

vvvrulz

Coach
Fish looked a little lazy to me during his games in the 1st grade. He didn't seem to want to get involved heavily and do the hard yards and make tough tackles, it was as if he expected to magically get quality ball right away and start carving up.

I'd keep him in the Vulcans until say round 15 and give him another whirl once he has settled down a bit more and is hungry again for FG. We definitely need to find a way to get him to FG.