What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA Reds finishing position

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's a realistic goal for the Reds in their first season? Hard to compare the strength of the squad at this early stage but wondering what the WARL's expectations are.

If they are serious about entering the Q'land cup in 2010 then they have to hit the ground running in '08 you would feel.

If they're realistic they'll be aiming to avoid the wooden spoon... As for how they'll go there are a too many unknowns at the moment to say for sure. Unless they get a few decent JBC / PL level players in the squad they will really struggle; from what I can see they have only signed a couple of current JBC players?

Also, I don't think anyone is 100% sure of who which teams are in / out for next year so hard to know whether some of the stronger clubs will be out or not. It remains to be seen if the JBC teams who are stepping up to the Premier League / NSWRL Cup next year will still be fielding a reserve team in JBC or not.

chester

Juniors
In my opinion the Reds will have to sign at least 5or6 players with premier league experience to be competitive.
WA locals will no way have the rugby league ability to compete with the top JBC teams.
In saying that I hope they can attract some good players from the east and be a force , it can only be good for the game.:)

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
im going to perth possibly for work...might have alook at getting a run. ive played metro cup and its pretty much on par with auckland club footy to be honest, possibly alittle quicker depending on the opposition.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
a place called mundurah, i think thats how you spell it.

is that close to where the reds are based? or any footy team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
nope! Not too far from the Rockingham Sharks. About 1.5 hours to Members Equity Stadium where the Reds are playing. Lovely place to live though.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Dirty Hoe said:

Mandurah, nice place i remeber reading i the paper last year sometime it was the fastest growing town in australia. u'll be about an hour south of perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the Reds at the weekend they look like they have put together a decent sqaud, certainly look very very fit under Fullers guidance. With the news Shayne McMenemy will alos be playing for us I reckon we are in for a good debut. We must also have the biggest pool of players to choose from!

Perth Red

Post Whore
And which JB team has the pick of all of them?

The Reds (I am led to believe) can pick any WARL player who shows promise. Admittedly not a massive pool but wouldn't think there are too many JB cup teams that have 10 open age feeder teams.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Dirty Hoe said:

If your good you will be playing for North Beach or South Perth as simple as that.

Nfed

Juniors
Perth Red said:
And which JB team has the pick of all of them?

The Reds (I am led to believe) can pick any WARL player who shows promise. Admittedly not a massive pool but wouldn't think there are too many JB cup teams that have 10 open age feeder teams.

I certainly hope the Reds experience some success - my point with the Penrith regos is that Sydney has a massive ongoing pool of players.

The JBC teams choice of players is limited by the points system that applies to the comp. The clubs can recruit anyone subject to points cap.

The cap gives discounts for locals or years played with the club, so Cabramatta and The Entrance were able to put on strong teams in 2007 because they got a lot of discounts for locals. Windsor has 33 junior teams but will increase their discounts over the next few years as players with Penrith contracts play for Windsor in P/L or JBC in the joint venture. Wentworthville have a similar arrangement with Parramatta this year.

While the Sydney Bulls were only created in 2000, they had 3 years in the unrestricted Metro Cup and the points were not as restrictive in the first year of JBC. This has allowed them to continually field good sides on discounts and it is only in the last few years that players have started retiring or moving to other clubs, and some are coming back in 2008.

So the system allows established clubs to maintain strength by long term appointments while offering new clubs nothing unless they have a historical junior base where players have gone on to P/L or NRL and can come back to JBC on a discounted basis.

Obviously, I dont know of the Perth club standard but McMenemy will take up 20 of the 100 points for 17 players. Add Aiga, Egglestone, Rawlings and Ghazal and you are up 52 for 5 players. Craig Phillis and Ryan Dickson are guys that have played in the East that will attract discounts but when you add a few more experienced guys you are going to need a lot of WA guys (2 points) playing right up to the standard.

Clearly, the travelling is going to give the Reds an advantage in home games but dont underestimate the task against the top 4 sides, where half the players are P/L standard.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Goldthorpe said:
If your good you will be playing for North Beach or South Perth as simple as that.

im only interested in playing in a decent team...how far are these clubs?

Perth Red

Post Whore
St Perth is closest to Mandurah, about an hour away. Hopefully over the next couple of seasons we may see some evening up of the comp. Rockingam could do with you and they are only 20 mins away from you.

http://www.warugbyleague.com.au/content/clubs/index.php

Out of interest anyone know who this is that has moved to Perth?
"Sharks to open LarkHill Sportsplex with Night Game
The Sharks will play an invitation Norths side in a night fixture to open the new Lark Hill sportsplex.
Negotiations are in an advance and final stage to bring a recently retired NRL and Australian star to represent the Sharks in this one off game.
"

Latest posts