What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waldron an AFL/Union plant?

Parra

Referee
Noa, putting your head in the sand is not going to make the problem disappear.

Goddo

Bench
load of crap. the guy was cooking the books to win comps. He was trying to apease his bosses at News Corp with victories against the odds, stuff legends and clubs are built on. Everyone was happy so long as he kept the truth hidden.

He took a calculated risk to improve his own career. He was the CEO of two AFL clubs, and apparently his time at St Kilda has dubiousness all over it. I wonder if there will be a witch hunt into his past, and his current role at the Rebels.

The Rebels will drop him faster than a turd after a curry, then the police will be knocking on his door for defrauding the government and breaking his compact as a CEO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-man-who-broke-the-footy-code/story-e6frf9if-1225857159485

Former Storm boss Brian Waldron the AFL man who broke the footy code

* Andrew Webster, Dean Ritchie
* April 23, 2010 12:00AM

IT all started late last year.

NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert detected something was wrong and started sniffing around the Storm's salary cap activity.

But Cameron Vale, the former chief financial officer, was a crucial figure in their investigation, sources say. Vale left the club after a falling out with former Storm chief executive Brian Waldron.

Waldron is the urbane Melbourne sports administrator with the flash suit and upturned collar who left the AFL and walked into rugby league like he was stepping on to a yacht.

He took on the game's veteran club bosses and told them how to run their code.

"Waldron is a bully and he used to bully Cameron," a Storm insider said.

"They never got on."

Today, Waldron stands accused of masterminding the biggest rort in rugby league's 102-year history.

"He appears to be the architect of the whole shooting match," ashen-faced News Limited chief executive John Hartigan said

"In my view, if we're to be honest as a company and sport, we should look further than rugby league. We don't want people like that in sport in Australia."

While Waldron allegedly signed the cheques that made the Storm one of the most successful clubs in the NRL's history, Hartigan revealed the web of deceit extended far wider.

"There are a couple of people who have been stood down," he said. "There were other people I believe who were involved but are no longer with the club.

"Our inquiries so far have identified five people who knew about the effort to conceal these payments."

According to NRL boss David Gallop the breakthrough in the investigation was the discovery of a file in a separate room outlining payments that weren't declared.

It is unknown which players, and how many, benefited from the illegal payments.

Sources claim a former Melbourne employee - now believed to be working with an AFL club - had turned whistle-blower.

Storm chairman Dr Rob Moodie said he first had an "inkling" of the scandal of April 13.

There has been a stink about the Storm for longer than that. Mr Hartigan said he became aware of the drama only three days ago.

After learning of the salary cap breach, Hartigan ordered the Storm board to fly to Sydney.

The revelations brought to an end Melbourne's amazing dynasty and left the club covered in dishonour and shame. No team in 102 years of rugby league has ever been stripped of a competition title.

Noa

First Grade
Heads not in the sand, glad we got caught, would have hated to have had any further success under the current circumstances.

But fact is these guys came from some-where, learned there principles some-where.

BTW Cameron Vale is now working at the North Melbourne Kangaroos and is the one who squealed according to the Melbourne Footy Show

Last edited:

Hindyscrack

Bench
Agreed. Back when I worked at Liquorland (Coles) we weren't allowed to change a lightbulb ourselves. Big companies have the most stringent policies than anyone else. John Hartigan's stance in the press conference proves that without fail.

This conspiracy theory is rubbish though. Why would Waldron leak this info when he knew if he did he would be facing fraud charges and become the scapegoat. He'd be the last person in the entire world to leak this information.

Lol, comparing working at Liquor Land to being a part of senior management in a company like News and the Storm. Slightly different roles.

The whistle blower would only be someone who has something against the storm (ex empoyee) or someone that has something to gain (another organistation).

Parra

Referee
Waldron the architect is still a long way from the claim that the AFL planted him at the Storm to bring down rugby league from the inside.

This thread is bullsh*t.

Parra

Referee
Lol, comparing working at Liquor Land to being a part of senior management in a company like News and the Storm. Slightly different roles.

The whistle blower would only be someone who has something against the storm (ex empoyee) or someone that has something to gain (another organistation).

Have you considered that the whistle blower might have been an honest person who wanted to expose cheats, liars and thieves?

So far, that seems to be the case.

The idea that this is a conspiracy is off the chart.

But , we should make it very clear that the main people involved in this were from an afl background. Hopefully they can be proved to have broken some laws.

Eels Dude

Coach

What are you talking about? I was simply agreeing to the previous poster who said that the big are the ones that never accept the breaching of rules, and put practises in place to stop that. I was comparing the it to the fact that the policy at Liquorland when I worked there was, and which is decided by the top dogs, involved store members having to ring a special 'facility hotline' in the Coles Myer call centre if a lightbulb needed changing due to OHS issues. My point being that major companies are very stringent with every policy because they know the ramifications for the overall copmany if even one little thing goes wrong. Sounds like you're just taking a sideswipe.

Thomas

First Grade
load of crap. the guy was cooking the books to win comps. He was trying to apease his bosses at News Corp with victories against the odds, stuff legends and clubs are built on. Everyone was happy so long as he kept the truth hidden.

He took a calculated risk to improve his own career. He was the CEO of two AFL clubs, and apparently his time at St Kilda has dubiousness all over it. I wonder if there will be a witch hunt into his past, and his current role at the Rebels.

The Rebels will drop him faster than a turd after a curry, then the police will be knocking on his door for defrauding the government and breaking his compact as a CEO.

Yep. Spot on.

And I dare say the Rebels will be writing up his termination papers right now. If they aren't, I'll be disappointed.

Waldron and AFL/Union plant? Give yourself an uppercut, you mong.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-checks-waldron-at-saints-20100422-tfyo.html

AFL checks Waldron at Saints
CAROLINE WILSON
April 23, 2010

THE AFL will investigate St Kilda players' contracts during Brian Waldron's stewardship of that club from 2002 until 2004.

The Age understands investigator Ken Wood interviewed Waldron in 2003 over the Saints' departed ruckman Peter Everitt, who demanded more than $100,000 from his former club as he tried to recover money from his old contract. The Everitt case is expected to be looked at again.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou last night confirmed that Wood, who is currently on leave, and football operations boss Adrian Anderson would approach the Saints in a bid to clarify any possible discrepancies that might have taken place during Waldron's time as CEO at Moorabbin.

The former Melbourne Storm boss who was described by News Limited chief John Hartigan as ''the architect'' of that club's salary cap cheating, worked at St Kilda with Matt Hanson, the acting Storm CEO who has stood down.

It has also emerged that North Melbourne's chief financial officer, Cameron Vale, is one of the five past and present Storm officials being targeted by NRL investigators. Vale crossed to the Kangaroos from the Storm in 2008. Club chairman James Brayshaw and CEO Eugene Arocca did not return calls last night.

Everitt had joined Hawthorn on a new three-year deal in 2003 when he claimed he had relinquished a significant amount of money from his old club several years earlier when he renegotiated and extended his agreement with the Saints. His bid proved fruitless but raised the eyebrows of the AFL's investigating team which did not uncover any salary cap discrepancies at the time.

Adrian Anderson said last night: ''We don't like to talk about which clubs we might be looking at where Ken is concerned, but Ken's open to make whatever inquiries he likes to make. He might want to ask some questions and check on things and in a situation like this where there is a link I'd imagine he might ask some questions.''

St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold said he welcomed any investigation. ''The St Kilda Football Club works closely with the AFL on its total player payments and in that regard we don't have any issues. If the AFL wants to look at anything at any point in time they should do so.''

Yesterday's AFL meeting with all 18 club CEOs was upstaged in its final 10 minutes by the Storm revelations. Media boss Patrick Keane broke the news of the club's savage punishing by the NRL as talks wound up with significant support for an October grand final.

The AFL also assured clubs that each would receive a minimum of six weeks between their two byes and floated a conference system for the NAB competition next season with three groups of teams - two of six teams and one of five.

AFL CEO Demetriou was last night receiving regular updates on the Storm scandal. Earlier this year the AFL attempted to cap third-party payments to footballers in negotiation with its players' union but that bid met strong resistance and failed during talks to introduce free agency.

Gregbyday

Juniors
Smells like Victorian rot has got into our game.

Wish we could have a deal with the Victorians. Get your game out of our state and we will get ours out of yours.

Gregbyday

Juniors
Biggest story in Australian sport and the AFL footy show have not talked about it yet. Insular Victorians.

Last edited:

bmwpower

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hitect-of-deceit/story-e6frexnr-1225857172372

STORM boss Brian Waldron was never going to take the rap on his own. Half an hour before David Gallop opened his press conference and revealed the full extent of Storm's salary cap rorting yesterday, a panicking Waldron told me: "There were people on the board who knew about everything that was going on.
"It's happening everywhere. What about [name withheld] leaving us and getting paid $200,000 by [sponsor withheld] outside the cap by the [team name withheld].
"This is a joke. All clubs do it. I can't say any more.
"Ring me back after they announce what they've got."
It was the last of a dozen phone calls The Daily Telegraph exchanged with the disgraced former Storm boss since we were tippped off about an impending scandal on Monday afternoon.

Now at the fledgling Melbourne rugby franchise the Rebels, Waldron has been described by News Limited chief executive and chairman John Hartigan as "the architect" of league's biggest fraud.
Waldron had been happy to talk all week but at 4pm yesterday he suddenly stopped taking calls or replying to our text messages.

The alarm bells started ringing at 3.30pm on Monday when a senior NRL coach rang me and suggested the Storm were about to be nabbed for massive breaches.
"It's as big as the Bulldogs," the coach said, "maybe even bigger."
So I had the first of around a dozen phone conversations with Waldron.
On Monday afternoon he said there was nothing in it, telling me in his usual confident style that competition points would remain intact but conceding the possibility of a small fine.
"Ian Schubert is aware of everything we did in my time at the Storm," he said.
"Let me check it out with a few people and I'll ring you back."
At the same time I checked the story out with NRL boss David Gallop.
He said he was aware salary cap auditor Ian Schubert was checking a number of issues but investigations were still to be finalised.
He indicated it was nothing major - certainly not in the same league as the Bulldogs in 2002.
About half an hour later Waldron rang back.
"Now don't make a big issue out of this but there are four very minor things they are looking at," he said.
"Cameron Smith's contract with Fox Sports, the pay-out to Dallas Johnson [who is not implicated] and a couple of other things. We've also been making payments of about $25,000 a year for the players end-of-season holiday. Schubert knew about that.
"They are also looking at fringe benefit taxes which were paid on player agents' fees. That's the full extent of it. It's all bullsh*t."
We now know Waldron was either lying or suffering from severe memory loss.
In another phone call on Wednesday, he attempted to distract me with the promise of a major signing story at the Rebels.
"I might have something for you tonight - Mark Gasnier is close to signing," he says.
"I'll ring you as soon as we know. You should have it by Friday."
Last night, Waldron was no longer so chatty. His phone was ringing out.
Phone call after phone call went unanswered and text messages were ignored.
His career, once the envy of sports administrators across the country, is in tatters.
His position at the Melbourne Rebels, believed to be worth $400,000-a-year, is untenable.
The Rebels' franchise - which must establish credibility in a hostile market - will have no choice but to sack him or ask for his resignation.
It's all over for the the biggest salary cap rorter in Australian sporting history.

After all its written by BUZZLIGHTYEAR. is he even credible

Last edited:

badav

Bench
Have you considered that the whistle blower might have been an honest person who wanted to expose cheats, liars and thieves?

So far, that seems to be the case.

Do you live in some kind of fairyland?

Its far more likely that the "whistleblower" was given motive by some negative dealing(s) to do with Melbourne, in whatever capacity that may be. Why else do you think it took so long to come out. People don't grow morals overnight. "Whistleblowers" are usually complicit until something doesn't go their way.

Last edited:

SweetLeftFoot

Juniors
Seriously dudes, this is the wildest sh*t I've seen on an Internet forum and I've been on those Yank ones where they reckon lizardmen live in the centre of the Earth.

Aye right, the AFL sent Waldron to the Storm in order to harm league. FFS.

So did RL send Carlton's idiotic administrators to stuff them up?

The fact is that Waldron is a flog. The fact is that the Storm NEED to be winning flags to have relevance in Melbourne. Waldron played outside the rules to get that success.

The element that is being missed is why its come out.

It seems to me that Cam Vale, who is CFO at my club and doing a bloody good job byb all accounts, did not have a good working relationship with waldron at the Storm.

Waldron is reported to have been very unplesant to work with and treated Vale very badly.

Now Vale is ensuring that the score is evened.

Don't for a second think I'm gloating or anything. It must be sh*t for youtr sport and even worse for Storm fans who now face god knws what future for their club. Having seen my own club at risk I can sympathise.

But pretending its some AFL conspiracy is just laughable.

Really, they couldn't even manage to bribe poor old North to move with $100m.

You honestly reckon they'd be able to pull off something like this?

SweetLeftFoot

Juniors
I'd add that AFL recognise the same principle (team in hostile territory) which is why they simply give Sydney a bigger salary cap.

little_aza

Juniors
"It's happening everywhere. What about [name withheld] leaving us and getting paid $200,000 by [sponsor withheld] outside the cap by the [team name withheld].
"This is a joke. All clubs do it. I can't say any more.

If this does happen to be true (which it probably ins't), who's that player? My guess is Crocker. Or maybe Folau?

Latest posts