What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales become full RLIF members

Coleworld

Juniors
Thats an interesting read it looks like they have done some great work over there to get the game up and running. The battle between France vs Wales to get into the 4Nations is going to be very interesting.

KiwiStorm

Juniors
Great news - also interesting to note on the Welsh RL site, that the World Cup will have some games in Wales, as well as England - all the more reason for automatic qualification.

RedVee

First Grade
Good competition for France, should do them both some good fighting for the 4th spot in 4Nations in future.

pcpp

Juniors
dumb question IMO but whens the next RLWC does it happen every 2-4 years??

Next World Cup is in 2013, then every 4 years after.

I'm happy that Wales are in the next World Cup, like all World Cups the hosts/co-hosts get an automatic spot.

However, I still think only having 2 qualifiers are a huge step back. The qualifying series last time was fantastic.

Next World Cup is in 2013, then every 4 years after.

I'm happy that Wales are in the next World Cup, like all World Cups the hosts/co-hosts get an automatic spot.

However, I still think only having 2 qualifiers are a huge step back. The qualifying series last time was fantastic.
thanks!
yeah WC qualifiers are always exciting and bring on upsets which also means underdogs in WC always attract interest and a new fan base

bowes

Juniors
12 full members:

Australia
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
Cook Islands
England
Wales
France
Russia
South Africa

Lebanon and USA clearly deserve it if Russia have it, though a few years ago South Africa and Samoa had it without any RL played in their country, they've since restarted the game there.

Evil Homer

Staff member
How many pro clubs does Ireland have? How schools playing? How many juniors? I like the work Ireland are doing, but if a genuine born and bred Ireland side took on a similar Welsh side, the score would be 50-60 points in favour of the Welsh.

At least. Ireland has roughly the same number of conference clubs as Wales but that's where the similarities end. They have no juniors, less students and obviously no pro or semi pro clubs. Ireland has so few semi pro players that a Wales v Ireland born and bred game would be pretty much pros v amateurs. The whole structure of the game in Wales - from schools and juniors, through to the under 18s Crusaders side and Wales under 16s, 18s and 19s, the Welsh Students and Wales A and up to the Scorpions, Crusaders and the national team - is vastly superior to those others. They also have more history and more history of success than Ireland and Scotland, and they can attract better crowds and therefore finance themselves more effectively.

yakstorm

First Grade
Great to finally see, though that said it should have happened years ago honestly.

As said before realistically Lebanon should be added sometime soon, they tick all the boxes with a domestic league, student competitions, regular internationals, government approval, and are relatively self-sufficient.

Latest posts