What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walters takes place among greats

Walters takes place among greats
walters_426.jpg
August 18, 2006
spacer.gif
Legendary Canberra Raiders, Queensland and Australian hooker Steve Walters was inducted into the ACT sporting hall of fame today, becoming the fifth former Raiders player honored in the hall.​
Walters joins fellow former Raiders, Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart and Bradley Clyde, as well as former Coach Don Furner, and Raiders founding father Les McIntyre.
Walters was inducted alongside basketball coaching legend Barry Barnes, and famous Canberra race caller Tony Campbell, who passed away earlier this year.
Steve Walters moved to Canberra along with his brother Kevin in 1986 after starting his career with Brisbane Norths, and joined fellow Queenslanders Mal Meninga and Gary Belcher as other Queensland born Raiders.
An instrumental part of the Raiders first premiership victory in 1989, Walters was also involved in Canberra’s other two premiership wins in 1990 and 1991, playing in a total of nine semi-final series and five grand finals.
Arguably one of the great hookers of all time, Walters career with the Raiders spanned 10 years from 1986-1996, where he played a total of 228 matches for the green machine, scoring a healthy 41 tries.
A passionate Queenslander Walters also represented at state of origin 14 times between 1990 and 1996 for his beloved maroons, while wearing the green and gold for Australia in 15 tests between 1991 and 1994.
This year Walters was named in the Canberra Raiders 25 year dream team, where members of the public along with the Canberra times voted on their favourite players in the Raiders proud 25 year history.
Walters said it is an honour to be named alongside so many talented sports people, and thanked ACT sport for his nomination.
“It’s a great achievement to be inducted here today and it’s something I’m very proud of,” Walters said. “There are some tremendous people within these esteemed walls and I’d like to also congratulate Barry Barnes and the late Tony Campbell for their inductions.”
Walters said he would always hold a special place for the Canberra Raiders, and thanked them for giving him the opportunity to do what he wanted to do and play football.
“The Raiders have always been great to me and I thank them sincerely for what I have achieved in football and life,” Walters said. “They were always there to support me and it is an association I will never forget.”

source: raiders.com.au

Raiders_mat

Juniors
An instrumental part of the Raiders first premiership victory in 1989, Walters was also involved in Canberra’s other two premiership wins in 1990 and 1991

I thought we lost that 1 :sarcasm:

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders_mat said:
An instrumental part of the Raiders first premiership victory in 1989, Walters was also involved in Canberra’s other two premiership wins in 1990 and 1991

delete 1991

insert 1994

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Raiders_mat said:

That's good enough for me.

dubby

Bench
Living in Qld, I get to hear Box's commentary on Ch9 alot. I love it when he shows his Raiders bias, and boy did he give it to Kevvie after the Raiders flogged the Broncos!