What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Not this year at least.

Im afraid that in the broad, his net contribution to the side has been absolute zero.

Whatever progress he’s made with some of the kids has been offset by regression in senior players.

He can’t coach at this level.

I’m sure he’s been trying, I’m sure he has the best of intentions, but he’s not up to it.

The sooner the powers that be hatch a plan to remove him and have the guts to do so, the better for all concerned.

We need him to exit quietly and tell the world it’s his decision for family reasons.

The ultimate sacrifice.

Club first Benji, the same standards we are asked to follow.

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
Im afraid that in the broad, his net contribution to the side has been absolute zero.

Whatever progress he’s made with some of the kids has been offset by regression in senior players.

I’m sure he’s been trying, I’m sure he has the best of intentions, but he’s not up to it.

The sooner the powers that be hatch a plan to remove him and have the guts to do so, the better for all concerned.
Happy to give Benji another year but we really need to build some defensive cohesion. We’ve had a lot of really young boys come through this year, it’s a shame we didn’t win more games, but I think, if we can keep Galvin, Bula, Da Silva, Samuela& Sione for a couple of years we will climb the table. I’m not as keen on Pole as some. We need someone with a bit of proper c in them to starch the pack up and somebody with a big motor in the ilk of Cameron Murray or Angus Crichton (I’d settle for a Heighington or Liam Fulton type player) to do the extra grunt work

Happy to give Benji another year but we really need to build some defensive cohesion. We’ve had a lot of really young boys come through this year, it’s a shame we didn’t win more games, but I think, if we can keep Galvin, Bula, Da Silva, Samuela& Sione for a couple of years we will climb the table. I’m not as keen on Pole as some. We need someone with a bit of proper c in them to starch the pack up

i understand your compassion and I’m not blaming him for all our woes.

But he hasn’t connected and he’s kept rewarding players on holiday.

He’s not tough enough and is uninspiring where it matters. Our ugly lot forget everything he has said by the time they enter the tunnel, let alone run out.

Nothing personal, he can do other things with us, just keep him clear of anything that matters.

Anyway, he will be given at least another year because the club is too invested in him. We rushed into this Benji for coach business way too early and without any clue.

Since my nailing of myself to this sinking sink, I’ve learned that one thing we are really good at is ignoring a crisis. It’s not beyond us to ask a drowning man if he would lke a drink. That’s how we (crocodile) roll.

Anyway, there’s no use whinging.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I’m not as keen on Pole as some. We need someone with a bit of proper c in them to starch the pack up and somebody with a big motor in the ilk of Cameron Murray or Angus Crichton (I’d settle for a Heighington or Liam Fulton type player) to do the extra grunt work
Pole has been our best forward imo.
Agree that an Angus Chrichton type would totally transform our pack.
Liam Fulton too. He's not a big unit but like you say has a big motor. Have you noticed hiw Curran from the dogs has done the same.
I thought Bateman was going to be our energizer man but he's been ill disciplined and ineffective.
Benji hasn't had a roster yet to get it done but next year when he starts to get some troops there's no excuse to at least get off the bottom of the ladder.

Nutz

Bench
i understand your compassion and I’m not blaming him for all our woes.

But he hasn’t connected and he’s kept rewarding players on holiday.

He’s not tough enough and is uninspiring where it matters. Our ugly lot forget everything he has said by the time they enter the tunnel, let alone run out.

Nothing personal, he can do other things with us, just keep him clear of anything that matters.

Anyway, he will be given at least another year because the club is too invested in him. We rushed into this Benji for coach business way too early and without any clue.

Since my nailing of myself to this sinking sink, I’ve learned that one thing we are really good at is ignoring a crisis. It’s not beyond us to ask a drowning man if he would lke a drink. That’s how we (crocodile) roll.

Anyway, there’s no use whinging.
Well said ha ha. You crack me me up TSP, my shout. Tooheys New mate? You get the next one :)

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach

We need him to exit quietly and tell the world it’s his decision for family reasons.

The ultimate sacrifice.

Club first Benji, the same standards we are asked to follow.
The trouble with him, he has stated that it should be work / life balance job.

But when you are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is just bull shit.

I'm sure all the good coaches, work their arse off all year, to get the squad firing.

I don't know if he can coach or not, but I think he has next year to show something, or it's back to Fox discussing footy with the other has beens.

He also needs to look at his assistant coaches as well. Farah has gone, he needs to pick wisely.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
He also needs to look at his assistant coaches as well. Farah has gone, he needs to pick wisely.
Someone who has a lot of runs on the board...someone who can offer advice and Benji won't gets the shitesters with because he respects him too much ..like a Bennett who Benji idolizes.

But when you are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is just bull shit.

I'm sure all the good coaches, work their arse off all year, to get the squad firing.

I don't know if he can coach or not, but I think he has next year to show something, or it's back to Fox discussing footy with the other has beens.

It’s an epic fail so far!

I know a lot of people aren’t even bothering to watch the press conferences any more (me included).

If we aren’t going anywhere next year, I’m sure he will break at some point.

I don’t think the club will let him choose his assistant freely, they will be imposed upon him. Richo is very interested in it.

DJDL

First Grade
Don't need much bait to catch a DJDL fishy :)

I love Royce.

He's had a wretched run with injuries since he dislocated his knee cap and ruptured his patella tendon at the end of 2021. He was just starting to show what he could do around that time then had to fight his way back. It seems each time he was getting back to his best he'd cop another injury.

He's strung a few games together this year though, which I'm happy to see.

In all honestly, I'd hate to lose him but, if he had to go, I'd be happy to see him go to you guys.
He's precisely what you need - though you'd need to work on his conditioning to get more minutes out of him.
Fitzy has conditioned him for just 15-20 minutes of impact.

Of the big boppers in our team, he's always been seen as number 2 behind Hamlin-Uele,
But I've always thought he was a better player, and that that was only because BHU came through first, and Royce kept getting injured just as he started to hit his straps.

I can't believe the Sharks have given him permission to look around, but re-signed that other powder puff.

I shakes me head...

Nutz

Bench

I know a lot of people aren’t even bothering to watch the press conferences any more (me included).

I don’t think the club will let him choose his assistant freely, they will be imposed upon him. Richo is very interested in it.
Yeh Benji needs all the tools at his disposal, Richo said he'll provide that.
There's no point in throwing Benji away until he's got everything.
I also have my doubts about him succeeding but I'm sure we all knew that this year was a rebuilding one.
The Bulldogs under Ciraldo chopped and changed his team and a lot of people doubted him. What's changed...
1. He's now got the team he wants
2. The team is now relatively unchanged week in week out and because if this
3. The team is settled and combinations have been formed making it a comfortable and confident joint
We can't say we have even got anywhere near this.
There are sign of this developing like Galvin and Fainu plus Bula roaming.
A problem that will test Benji is with the arrival of Luai the backs will reshuffle somewhat. To a lesser degree throw in our two new wingers.
Benji will now see how Lachlan links up with AD, Faaaaataape and Staines. No point in waiting.
The biggest disappointment is that our experienced guns didn't perform. Is that Benji's fault... partly.
However he shouldn't have to teach them how to lace up boots, how to prepare.
In some games this year the leaders just didn't show up on game day.

Tigerm

Coach

I reckon Luai will be quite vocal if it’s not going the way it should as well.

Tiger05

First Grade

This is a little irritating isn't it. I agree that everyone needs some work life balance but pissing off during the season and going to Fiji just sounds wrong doesn't it.

I don't know if he can coach or not

In the coaching game all that matters is results. I don't see how we can state he has been a good coach. The Sheens blaming astounds me as well. Benji and Sheens were in this together and Benji clearly had a lot of power because they pissed Sheens off completely. My point is Benji has really led us to 2 spoons.

I'm not a fan of sacking him mainly because I'm hopeful Benji has learned a lot and hopefully he becomes a better coach and they get abetter team in there. They do have John Morris though who is very experienced. I also think a lot of our younger players have actually been good so they might improve even more plus we may blood some more kids.

The main reason though is we always sack coaches prior to finishing their contract and the new coach never works anyway.

Nutz

Bench
I love Royce.

He's had a wretched run with injuries since he dislocated his knee cap and ruptured his patella tendon at the end of 2021. He was just starting to show what he could do around that time then had to fight his way back. It seems each time he was getting back to his best he'd cop another injury.

He's strung a few games together this year though, which I'm happy to see.

In all honestly, I'd hate to lose him but, if he had to go, I'd be happy to see him go to you guys.
He's precisely what you need - though you'd need to work on his conditioning to get more minutes out of him.
Fitzy has conditioned him for just 15-20 minutes of impact.

Of the big boppers in our team, he's always been seen as number 2 behind Hamlin-Uele,
But I've always thought he was a better player, and that that was only because BHU came through first, and Royce kept getting injured just as he started to hit his straps.

I can't believe the Sharks have given him permission to look around, but re-signed that other powder puff.

I shakes me head...
I'm hearing you. I've had Hunt as a cash cow for a long time. Fitness is relative to game time. I'd sooner see him play bigger minutes in reggies but I believe he's not 100% to do this. I've see enough to feel he'll be an asset to whatever team he plays for.
He has represented Samoa's in the 2022 World Cup final.
I believe he wants to stay at the Sharks but if he goes and we don't get him, the Dogs or Souths might get him.
Good luck in the finals DJDL.

Nutz

Bench
The main reason though is we always sack coaches prior to finishing their contract and the new coach never works anyway.
Unless it's a complete disaster then I can't see the benefit of doing this. Luai came for the cash but Benji was the turning point imo. He probably has a coach clause in his contract as well.