What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warren Smith returns fire (Newcastle Morning Herald)

LeagueNut

First Grade
gregstar said:
does someone have to have played at nrl level before having an opinion?

does this mean the forums should be shut down for anyone who hasn't played nrl?

am i permitted to criticise only people who are in my line of business?
No, not at all. But it intrigues me that if there are others bagging him as well, why has Johns only decided to retailate to Smith?

It's certainly not a new thing for players to decide that opinions of non-players are irrelevant.

DeeGan

Bench
The Colonel said:
There is someone who should pull his ego in check..... and it isn't Smith.

Well said.

I am a big fan of Warren Smith though this is a little exaggerated IMO, “one of the saddest sights in recent Australian sporting history.”It was sad to see for rugby league fans yes. Our Australian sporting history? No. I don't recall too big a fuss made when JT eclipsed Cronin, it wasn't one of the 'biggest events in sporting history' ... for the simple reason Andrew Johns name is linked to the record, I don't think it elavates in status.

The Colonel

Immortal
Whe Halligan eclipsed Cronin there were fireworks on the sideline and there was a fair deal made about it. When JT eclipsed Halligan the NRL and Parramatta had a presentation on the sideline similar to that which was supposed to happen on Saturday.

DeeGan

Bench
The Colonel said:
Whe Halligan eclipsed Cronin there were fireworks on the sideline and there was a fair deal made about it. When JT eclipsed Halligan the NRL and Parramatta had a presentation on the sideline similar to that which was supposed to happen on Saturday.

I stand corrected, you have a clearer recollection of the "event" than I obviously. With that said, it was not a "one of the great moments in Australian sporting history" in my opinion. For league fans, yes, for others, no. The fact the Johns is linked to the record apparently has elevated the status of the record breaking mark.

redVgirl

Juniors
well i think Smiths article was a bit over the top, but thats his job isnt it?? it certainly got everyone talking.

i think everyone was shocked because Joey has been playing for so long and has always seemed at least semi-professional. maybe expect a young player to have a brain explosion like that, but not someone as experienced as him.

and i dont think you need to have played to understand the game. obviously only players can understand how it actually feels to be out there, but theres alot of good footy brains out there existing in bodies that have never pulled on the footy boots!

The Colonel

Immortal
DeeGan said:
I stand corrected, you have a clearer recollection of the "event" than I obviously. With that said, it was not a "one of the great moments in Australian sporting history" in my opinion. For league fans, yes, for others, no. The fact the Johns is linked to the record apparently has elevated the status of the record breaking mark.

Well I can honestly say I have been witness to the record being broken three times now having been at the games in which they were broken. It isn't one of the greatest moments in Australian sporting history but they are moments that I and many others can look back on.

There is no way Messers Churchill,Langlands,Simms,Cronin and even Jason Taylor would put a loss in the way of a accepting an award after the game.

nqboy

First Grade
LeagueNut said:
Just out of curiosity (and sorry if it's a stupid question), but where did Warren Smith come from?

Is he simply a commentator? Did he ever play the game (club/rep/anything)?

I agree completely with what he (Smith) is saying, but I can also understand Joey being pissed if he's only being roasted by a commentator. I haven't heard too many other media people backing Smith up on this.
Good point, but I wouldn't expect too many media people to bag him. They're generally too busy blowing him and prostrating themselves before his image.

Petulant display from Johns. If only his temperament matched his play...

Hurriflatch

Referee
Johns has always been a spoilt brat and with the likes of his brother and Harragon on YV with the FTA rights holder he knows that to a large degree he won't get bagged and when he does he can easily find a way to return serve.

Andrew Johns is the Shane Warne of RL a great talent on it but a complete and utter d***head off it.

Eddie.

Bench
I say Well Done to Warren Smith for putting forward his true opinion.

You won't get that from Daley, M Johns, Vautin, Chief who are all too close too all the players to have a go.

fulltime

Juniors
where are all the knights supporters going into bat for joey.
he is your god after all.

the silence is deafening.

DeeGan

Bench
Bracketing Andrew Johns in the Shane Warne class off the field if taking it a little far ... sure, disappointing to see Joey's reaction after the Eels game (which he did appologise for), but let's keep things in perspective.

Looks like some have waited for a chance to lay the boot in to Johns.