What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warrior Wade

stuke

Bench
-Dr.J- said:
Can you give us some feedback on Wade as a player? Strengths, weaknesses etc?

still relatively young. probably come into his own in the last few seasons. a good hole runner, especially up the middle. i would imagine he will like trailing some of the big Warriors forwards.

can sometimes take the wrong options though, minor brain snaps or freezes i guess would be the best way to describe them. fairly safe hands.

a good signing, we reportedly offered him a 2 year contract but he wanted 3 years.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
McKinnon signs with Warriors
Print this story Email this story to a friend Email Alert
Wade McKinnon

Jul 4, 2006

The Warriors have on Tuesday signed Parramatta Eels fullback Wade McKinnon on a three-year deal.

The anti-tampering deadline only came off at the end of June but Warriors had been clearly eyeing the 25-year-old for a long time after deciding not to offer a contract to fan favourite Brent Webb, who has subsequently signed with Leeds.

McKinnon says he is excited about playing under head coach Ivan Cleary and alongside the likes of Steve Price and Ruben Wiki.

He says the Warriors have lots of young talent and huge potential so they will be a great team to be part of.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary says McKinnon is one of the NRL's best fullbacks -second only to Melbourne's Greg Inglis in line breaks and average metres gained per game.

McKinnon has been in the NRL since 2002 when he played for South Sydney.

The signing takes the Warriors to 22 contracted players for 2007.
Source: One Sport

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Good signing for the Warriors, he's a good fullback I thought he was gonna be kept at the start of the season, he was one of Parra's best at the time. He'll be missed. :( I hope Reddy or Hayne are just as good.

the_eel

Juniors
Yep he's been very good for the Eels over the last couple of seasons. I'm sure he's had a fairly significant contract upgrade so good on him. I wish him all the best!

Bigfella

Coach
Dr J, probably the Wade's biggest liability will be the freaks he brings to your forum as his personal fan club.

Keep an eye out, they won;t be long ...

Biggest assets are his positional play, reliability under the high play, and support play.

This season in particular he has shown a tendency to take wrong options when making the half break (such as running away from support), and has also made some first tackle handling errors. Personally I don;t see these as long term issues.

If he had another yard or two of pace he would be a rep fullback to be honest.

Bigfella said:
Dr J, probably the Wade's biggest liability will be the freaks he brings to your forum as his personal fan club.

Keep an eye out, they won;t be long ...

Biggest assets are his positional play, reliability under the high play, and support play.

This season in particular he has shown a tendency to take wrong options when making the half break (such as running away from support), and has also made some first tackle handling errors. Personally I don;t see these as long term issues.

If he had another yard or two of pace he would be a rep fullback to be honest.

can't be as bad as the covell brigade?

Freak2

Juniors
Came to our club again after a dissppointing stint with the Rabbits. He earned his stripes the hard way through determination and passion.

A great player for our club when we needed to fill a void left by other departing fullbacks.

I wish him all the best with his future and hope someone can fill the void he is creating. Big shoes to fill!!

StEely Matt

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19678178-23214,00.html

Warriors snap up McKinnon
From staff writers
July 4, 2006

NEW Zealand Warriors have signed Parramatta fullback Wade McKinnon on a three-year deal.

McKinnon, 25, replaces the in-form Brent Webb who leaves for English Super League club Leeds at the end of the season.

McKinnon, who joined Parramatta from South Sydney in 2004, will join the Warriors at the end of the season.

He leads the competition in most runs from fullback, the best gains in kick-returns averaging 72 metres-a-game, and the most tackle breaks.

McKinnon, who has played 70 NRL games, said he was lured across the Tasman by the prospect of playing with two of the competition's top props.

"I'm excited about moving to Auckland to play alongside guys like Steve Price and Ruben Wiki," he said.

"I think the Warriors have huge potential. That's been seen by the way they've been playing lately."

AAP

Gronk

Staff member
Wade's departure is not unlike Hodgson many moons ago. Bad form leading into contract renew time.

A solid but not exceptional fullback. Wade's at his best as a hole runner but lacks the ability to create. Lets hope that his replacement at the Eels (Hayne?) will be more dynamic and provide us with more options in attack.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
No offence to Wade but I have a feeling next year we may be asking Wade who. IMO Hayne makes Wade look like just a capable average first grader.

However like Widders leaving I wish him no hard feelings. Has been a good servant for us. All the best Wade

PIG

Juniors
Wade will carve at the Warriors who suit his game down to a tea. He will look great there running in support of big forwardswith the ability to offload...he will lead the comp in line breaks by a long way next year.

Having said that he gave Parra every chance to even get close to the deal he was offered by the Warriors and fair enough they have other options at significantly cheaper than what NZ offered him.

Unfortunately Hagan has plans for Burt at fullback, in which case I wish we kept Wade.

parra pete

Referee
Can't keep em all. If you can't win with them in the past, move em on. Fresh talent = fresh hope

Suitman

Post Whore
parra pete said:
Can't keep em all. If you can't win with them in the past, move em on. Fresh talent = fresh hope

So, how do you explain the re-signing of Burt, one of our poorer performing players of the past 4 years?

At least McKinnon has had a couple of good seasons.

Suity

Latest posts