What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors biggest regret?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
f**k me. We seriously had a premiership quality roster (to the point of being way over the cap) in 2005 and that numpty Kemp couldn't get shit out of it. At least Kearney has the excuse that hes got a mostly plodtastic team

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Seeing how Jones played his club career without a top stand off....

I'm gonna say letting Henry Paul go...by a country mile.

Jones and Paul were sublime when they recombined against Aus in the fashion they played in their backyards with each other in Te Atatu as kids.

What could have been.

Losing CLeary was costly but coaches come and go...CLeary hasnt done anything since.

I mean, he hasn't done nothing since. He brought the Panthers back from the cellar to a point off a GF in three years. Since then, I think his relationship with Nathan has severely compromised his judgement. And the whole Tigers/Panthers scenario has probably permanently put a black mark against him in terms of players wanting to bust arse for him. Hard to coach from a position of influence when you've exhibited a severe lack of loyalty and honesty yourself.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
f**k me. We seriously had a premiership quality roster (to the point of being way over the cap) in 2005 and that numpty Kemp couldn't get shit out of it. At least Kearney has the excuse that hes got a mostly plodtastic team

I watched the classic match the other day when they chased down Newcastle in 2005, was some seriously good players in that side. I'm not sure they'd recovered from the horrific 2004, which is pinned on Anderson (and probably Mick Watson?) but gee there was some talent. Two of the best props in the game, Stacey still around his peak, a real shame.

JJ

Immortal
Kemp just needed time, clearly a talented coach :blush:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I watched the classic match the other day when they chased down Newcastle in 2005, was some seriously good players in that side. I'm not sure they'd recovered from the horrific 2004, which is pinned on Anderson (and probably Mick Watson?) but gee there was some talent. Two of the best props in the game, Stacey still around his peak, a real shame.

our front row stocks at that point were ridiculous. Wiki and Price in their prime, Feka had matured into a complete front rower instead of just a bench weapon, and Villisanti and Tuimavave in the mix. Plus Guttenbeil, Faumuina, Koopu, Anderson and a young Mannering in the back row (though Simon was mostly playing centre at the time).

BLN2

Juniors
Was thinking about this after watching the 2011 win over the Storm to put us in the GF. Letting go Cleary is easily our biggest. That decision, and the many following sent us in a downward spiral which we are still in. Cleary isn't the greatest coach, with his forwards in the centres, bomb to Manu plays etc. But he brought stability, decent defense, and the players loved him and played for him. He developed our last decent Warrior forwards. Things we haven't seen since. Maloney may have stuck around. Nathan Cleary could/would have been a Warrior. Imagine a Johnson/Cleary halves pairing!

Instead we went Bluey (rose tinted glasses signing, no substance), Elliott (what the f**k were they thinking, a known failure), Cappy (not terrible looking back, just not quite up to it) and now our bumbling mate SK.