What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors sign Cleary!!!

ozenzud

Juniors
I heard on the wire that this was on the cards. He was born in NZ too. Does that make him eligible for the Kiwis....getting ahead of ourselves but good pedigree.

MugaB

Coach
I heard on the wire that this was on the cards. He was born in NZ too. Does that make him eligible for the Kiwis....getting ahead of ourselves but good pedigree.
Technically yes, but he has to choose nz, after that no more origin, Ivan and Co, left Nz around 2012 to start coaching panthers, jett wouldve been 4 or 5, not sure he wouldve played any footy in nz

nswarrior

Juniors
Great signing - potentially could be great succession from SJ

the club is doing a lot of good things

just would love a few more wins 😉

Juju

Juniors
My only small thought not in support of this signing is - I wonder how young NZ halves talent would feel - the pathway is blocked.

We can't seem to develop them though.

TheDMC

Bench
I wonder what the benefit/motivation is for him in the move and why Penrith/Ivan are letting it happen?

Matua

Bench
I wonder what the benefit/motivation is for him in the move and why Penrith/Ivan are letting it happen?
Might be tied to the JFH move. We agree to take him on for a couple of year knowing full well we have to give him back?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, it's an interesting one - as a father, no doubt Ivan would want the best for him but you'd expect he would back himself to bring him through and emulate his older brother's rise? But maybe he thinks it'll be of more benefit to go to NZ, potentially to be in the FG system quicker, or who knows - maybe Ivan thinks he'll mature quicker here.

Big call though, it does really surprise me

And yeah, no one will be surprised if he became quality in our system and then immediately went back to play with Dad + Nathan. And fair enough. I wouldn't compare it to Walsh, that prima donna cut and ran and didn't fulfil a contract. You'd like to think a Cleary wouldn't do that, although I am aware Ivan did it to the Tigers...

So how does the club manage this

SJ sign on for 2025 and mentor him
Metcalf and TMM start 2026
Mid season in 2026 Cleary comes in like Jones in 95 and SJ in 11

Odd man out CHT

One Warrior

Bench
Technically yes, but he has to choose nz, after that no more origin, Ivan and Co, left Nz around 2012 to start coaching panthers, jett wouldve been 4 or 5, not sure he wouldve played any footy in nz
Jett was born in 2005, Ivan was Assistant Coach at the Warriors, Tony Kemp was the coach, Jett would of been 6 and had a couple of years at school in Auckland.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, it's an interesting one - as a father, no doubt Ivan would want the best for him but you'd expect he would back himself to bring him through and emulate his older brother's rise? But maybe he thinks it'll be of more benefit to go to NZ, potentially to be in the FG system quicker, or who knows - maybe Ivan thinks he'll mature quicker here.

Big call though, it does really surprise me

And yeah, no one will be surprised if he became quality in our system and then immediately went back to play with Dad + Nathan. And fair enough. I wouldn't compare it to Walsh, that prima donna cut and ran and didn't fulfil a contract. You'd like to think a Cleary wouldn't do that, although I am aware Ivan did it to the Tigers...
Given they’re losing Luai I’m surprised, but the do have immense depth, so likely he’d make first grade here earlier, and obviously the Webster connection doesn’t hurt