What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors team to take on Eels - Confirmed

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
mean_maori_mean said:
proved it a test level - bollocks. surely no one really thought the great white hope played good in the forwards 4 the kiwis. He was a shane endacott-like fillin. Never even challenged the line nevermind breakin the tackle. played straight out soft.

While I'm at it Michael Luck - dont like him that much either. acts like he a battler/soldier but never breaks a tackle.

He's better suited to the centres - he actually does alrite out there. Got some size and doesnt do anything stupid.

But why the hell does Cleary have 4 halves in 17. Hohaia , rovelli, witt and fien.

Why do we need to sign unwanted australian halves when the team should be based around hohaia at halfback.

I'm suprised you like Cleary considering he's an Aussie

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
What has Louis Anderson done wrong though, in all seriousness?

This is the sort of attitude the Warriors have to change. A player may not have done anything wrong, but the player ahead of him did it better.

I'm looking forward to there being much more competition for spots in the team.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
This is the sort of attitude the Warriors have to change. A player may not have done anything wrong, but the player ahead of him did it better.

I'm looking forward to there being much more competition for spots in the team.

lol. All I'm saying is, last time I checked Louis was an established international and Warriors certainty, all at the age of 21. Now Michael Luck and even geriatric Logan Swann have usurped him. Louis' form must have dipped for this to happen, or has Logan been killing it in trials?

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
With the performances Witt's put in trial wise (sure, it don't count) I really doubted they were just going to have him hang around for nothing. While some people have suggested Ropo may still have had the first shot as a 5/8 (forgetting injury), I don't think they'd go and sign a real (yes real) 5/8 for no reasons. That would have been totally pointless.

I don't always have anything personal against Ropo, I just don't genuinly think he's ever suited in the halves. He might be able to play else where in the team just not there. His array of ideas and skills in the position aren't always too good. Some mistakes weren't his fault but he wasn't exactly helpful at certain times. Sure he scored four fab trys against the Roosters, ran circles around the world former best halfback...etc...but seriously is there much else he's done well as a 5/8? Kicked? Oh yeh he kicks...but I don't think those kicks exactly were something to crow about. There were games where he and Ravs did excel and do a great jobs in, but those were few and far between. I have nothing against having Kiwi players in the halves, but right now no one seems to be doing the job and if these two aussies can pull it off then stick with them.

So let the Wittelli combination get underway.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
What has Louis Anderson done wrong though, in all seriousness?

The reason Ivan gave for Louis being on the bench was because he's returning from a couple of niggles. He missed the two trials against NRL opposition.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
proved it a test level - bollocks. surely no one really thought the great white hope played good in the forwards 4 the kiwis. He was a shane endacott-like fillin. Never even challenged the line nevermind breakin the tackle. played straight out soft.

While I'm at it Michael Luck - dont like him that much either. acts like he a battler/soldier but never breaks a tackle.

He's better suited to the centres - he actually does alrite out there. Got some size and doesnt do anything stupid.

But why the hell does Cleary have 4 halves in 17. Hohaia , rovelli, witt and fien.

Why do we need to sign unwanted australian halves when the team should be based around hohaia at halfback.

Interesting way to watch the Tri Nations, with your eyes closed. Sounds like you could be a tad racisist, bagging out all white guys. :?

Skram

Juniors
All I'm saying is, last time I checked Louis was an established international and Warriors certainty, all at the age of 21. Now Michael Luck and even geriatric Logan Swann have usurped him. Louis' form must have dipped for this to happen, or has Logan been killing it in trials?
Louis' form toward the back end of last season was average by his standards, he seemed quite tempermental too as if he was leaning towards the Betham-esque, stupid decision making, enforcer style role. I think that this, coupled with his offseason surgery, has put Swann and Luck ahead in the pecking order, although I'm happy to see Louis on the bench as at least he has a chance to re-prove himself, which I think he will.

I like this side but the center combo does worry me, I think Mannering - Hohaia is the best option which also allows Louis to slide back into the side.
As far as Ropati goes it's good to see him out of the first named side because if these combinations play to their best then it makes it that much harder for him to break back in, which is a good thing because that way he'll have to be playing well as opposed to being there out of lack of options.
I think if the aforementioned reshuffle with Mannering and Anderson happens then it opens a spot on the bench for Ropo where he wouldn't be out of place.

Skinner

Coach
mean_maori_mean said:

Whoa................you're on to it m_m_m.......go my man.

Skinner

Coach
Brad Joyce said:
Interesting way to watch the Tri Nations, with your eyes closed. Sounds like you could be a tad racisist, bagging out all white guys. :?

Don't think so Brad Joyce and please don't raise that crap when someone disagrees
with you.

Skinner

Brad Joyce

Juniors
Skinner said:
Don't think so Brad Joyce and please don't raise that crap when someone disagrees
with you.

Skinner

Don't tell me you watched the Tri Nations with a blindfold too? If you don't think Mannering played well for the Kiwis, then I have no respect for your judgement of a rugby league performance.

ozbash

Referee
I,m in an agreeable mood today,,, yep, even agree with spinny :shock:

With the performances Witt's put in trial wise (sure, it don't count) I really doubted they were just going to have him hang around for nothing. While some people have suggested Ropo may still have had the first shot as a 5/8 (forgetting injury), I don't think they'd go and sign a real (yes real) 5/8 for no reasons. That would have been totally pointless.

Witt has been very good in the trials and even tho i,m a big fan of JRo, i reckon he (witt) deserves his spot on trial form alone. Course when jeromes hammy comes right it will be "witt who ?"

Originally Posted by mean_maori_mean

totally agree, got nothing against luck but mannering is a center, not a forward. bluey was experimenting and it proved nothing.

skinz, seen Hayden Karena loitering around both Auckland trials, is he tied up with the Lions ?

now there is an awesome halfback/ #6

Interesting way to watch the Tri Nations, with your eyes closed. Sounds like you could be a tad racisist, bagging out all white guys.

you keep whatever it sounds like to yourself, bradly. he was critical of mannerings on field performance (and hes not alone there either), not the colour of his skin. The choice of words was unfortunate but could not be termed racist.
accusations of racism are not the go here, in fact i think yours is the first one on this forum.

giving it to aussies is totally different of course :)

Skinner

Coach
Brad Joyce said:
Don't tell me you watched the Tri Nations with a blindfold too? If you don't think Mannering played well for the Kiwis, then I have no respect for your judgement of a rugby league performance.

I am not referring to Mannering as you are well aware. I am referring to your choice
of words (or rather, word). That will not be tolerated on this particular board.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
Skinner said:
I am not referring to Mannering as you are well aware. I am referring to your choice
of words (or rather, word). That will not be tolerated on this particular board.

Hey, he's the one who used the words 'great WHITE hope'.

Skinner

Coach
Brad Joyce said:
Hey, he's the one who used the words 'great WHITE hope'.

Don't push it - that's an expression in every day use. Leave it there thank you.

Last public discussion on it !!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Lighten up, im white as well u egg. I just didn't think mannering played good in tri-nations in the forwards, but everyone came out of their way to say how good he played. Though I think he'll play good in the centres, and maybe even push to get selected in the centres for kiwi honours this year.-he did push toopi out who was year previously one of the form centres in NRL.
But also how much wraps did ropati get last year, saying how he was gutted he missed 2005 tri-nations victory bcoz he woz injured. hmmm
Bt he also will most likely slot back into the centres later on.

Don't question my ability to judge a rugby league performance.

I was joking about "the great white hope" - get a sense of humour, but a too a degree he is there are no other NZ european in the warriors. oh wait theres nathan fien aswell.

I think all the 4 halves named have genuine talent and are all genuine FG players, so I dont know how we can legitmately keep all of them.

Looking forward to see how Lauaki plays- he been ravaged by injuries past couple of years.hopefully hes had a big off-season.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Theres also cooper vuna- is both big and fast. He was defintely one of the form players in the bartercard cup last year and he coming off-contract so expect him to fight hard for a centre/wing spot. I defintely think martin will have to fight for his spot.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
mean_maori_mean said:
Theres also cooper vuna- is both big and fast. He was defintely one of the form players in the bartercard cup last year and he coming off-contract so expect him to fight hard for a centre/wing spot. I defintely think martin will have to fight for his spot.

Vuna had a shocker the other day and basically gave away any chance of him grabbing a starting spot against the Eels. He played at fullback for the Auckland Lions and dropped at least 3 bombs, giving up a couple of try's, before being hooked by Norton. Cleary could never have selected him after that. I was a fan of Vuna before that performance, but I think he'll struggle to get much first grade this season now.

ozbash

Referee
cooper is a center tho, not a fullback.

why do they have to play out of position ??