What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors v Knights - recap

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
The first 20 minutes killed us. Jesse Royal needs to work on his discipline he needs to add more to his game then a half decent offload and getting dominated in every tackle, his letting the teams hard work down with stupid penalties.

Wes couldn't catch a thing all day, I think he was scared of the big Warriors backs.

Scotty was good without being great, that cross field kick wasn't too bad, if it was a bit longer it was a try to Vuna, if it was a bit lower it was a try to Lulia, i'd even go as far to say that the kick was too good. We've had no luck with the 50/50's the last 2 games but when we get them i'll reckon we will roll a few teams.

De Les Haras is a dead-set joke, not just because he costs us, he was sh*t for the Warriors too, way too inconsistent and whistle happy.

Pika

Bench
The ref did have a shocker and I was pissed off with him too, but at the end of the day once again, we had opportunities and relying on the ref to get decisions right is about as clever drinking chlorine and brake fluid together or at all for that matter. I am beggining to be realistic about our chances, I first thought top 4 was a possible chance, but now I have to settle for top 8 as a slim chance. That's 4 games now where it's been tooth and nail, and as proud as I have been of every win, I guess, unless we start showing some dominance in our wins, more often then not we are gonna be on the wrong side of the score board no matter how close they all are, but win or lose so long as they tough it out like they have been, the supporters will stay solid.

I think you tipping us for the top four was setting yourself up for disappointment mate.

We were always a 6-8 squad.

Some prespective might help. Canberra aside, we have come from behind every game this season. Thats character, you cant teach that.

Our loss to the Eels was tough, but we fought all the way and deserved to drop that. Our execution was poor.

Ref aside, we were far from our best yesterday. We had no right to be within a try, and before the Ah Van run away, we looked like stealing the match.

Bottom line, we were average aginst Canberra and won.

We were better against Manly, and won.

We executed poorly against Eels and lost in golden point.

We were average at best yesterday, and still stayed withing six. Its a tough road trip, Eels got hammered over there two weeks prevoius.

If we start executing the game plan and provide a more polished performance, we will win more than we lose.

Thats if.

darkness

Juniors
Our halves do great when there both on because they also share the work load, Dureau looked tired when they chip kick got intercepted and those sort of kicks are harder to get accurate when you are more tired, mullo probably would have done a better job at that stage of the game, same with patto against the eels when he went for that drop goal in golden point, his legs were gone at that stage and proly should have left the attempt for somebody else. Now Dureau and Mullen are out for the weekend, I hope bailey and walsh have a good report together.

Rusty

Juniors
We sucked! It was another game that got a away from us. We had numerous opportunities to score but our lack of discipline let us down. Jesse Royal and co need to get their sh*t together because opposing teams will capatilise to a greater extent than the Warriors did.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Our halves do great when there both on because they also share the work load, Dureau looked tired when they chip kick got intercepted and those sort of kicks are harder to get accurate when you are more tired, mullo probably would have done a better job at that stage of the game, same with patto against the eels when he went for that drop goal in golden point, his legs were gone at that stage and proly should have left the attempt for somebody else. Now Dureau and Mullen are out for the weekend, I hope bailey and walsh have a good report together.

I dont think that was a plan moved they rushed up on Mullen I think and he passed it too Patto. Who just had a shot, I dont think anyone thought he was going to get it.

Knights01

Juniors
I do agree the better team won - however there are a few things that need to be looked at:

* have to get up off the tackled players quicker in the first 15 mins - every referee will be out looking to put their stamp on the game and they will tend to be itching for a penalty for slowing down the play early - if you want to do this boys - do it early in the count - not at the end

* Scotty needs to look at his kicking game (I do agree the lad tried his bloody heart out) - reminded me a little of the Manly game where his kicks were not that great overall - the Ah Van kick was a little confusing - but overall not bad.

* Discipline - yes we need to dominate the ruck but when you find the referee is going to blow the pea out of it then you need to really look at when and where you lay down that fraction longer - Tony went overboard and he did try to even up the count late - but he needs to look at his consistency

* Video Referee - if the NRL was going to be serious about 2 feet either on or behind the line then every team is offisde once the ball is inside the 10m zone. I am sure both Swann and even Ah Van with the kick were not 'technically' onside

* we the fans need to realise that the boys are going ok - personally if someone said to me your first 4 games of the year will be Raiders (H), Eagles (H), Eels (A) and Warriors (A) [3 teams who made the top 8 last year] and you would be 2 and 2 - well I would have been stoked!!

Lets hope Mullo is back soon!

keeney

First Grade
Dureau was everywhere yesterday. Sure not all of it came off, but he had bucketloads of enthusiasm and some real class touches. (40/20, the TA to Pato). Considering its his 5th game I'm not gonna be critical at all.

otori

Juniors
According to leaguehq.com.au, Dureau is in serious doubt for the Broncos game and Mullen may have broken something in his leg??!!?? I missed the game because I was at work but I had the net updates on. Lol maybe halves combo of Bailey and Walsh next week.

Bicey_18

Bench
I think the Bailey/Walsh combo will do the job well.... I guess we are lucky in that sense we have 4 pretty good halves. I wouldn't risk Scotty.

I can see us beating Brisbane actually.. Lockyer is out, Hodges and a few others are also in doubt, I think one of those was Wallace?

With Cross making his debut our forward pack will be given a massive boost.. the key will be Buderus of course, if he has a good game I think we can get them. In front of hopefully a big crowd which seem to lift us alot.. e.g Manly. If we are in it at the back end of the game I wouldnt be surprised if we got over the line

Serc

First Grade
I think people are being a bit harsh on Scotty tbh. Sure, his grubber that went dead on tackle three wasn't the best option and the kick that Ah Van ran the length of the field from should have been higher or along the ground. But in saying that, he's only 21, he's young and will make mistakes that come with being inexperienced. We need to stick with him and not hang him out to dry.

Agreed mate - I nearly gave him 3 points in KOTW but thought I should calm down a bit :p I thought he really ran the show well in the last 20 mins without Mullo on the field, as well as good touches throughout the game. I also noticed a lot of his long kicks were (at the very least) hitting the grass and often was giving the fullback a bit of a chase. Top stuff. His defence is observably better than Walshys last year...we might well get to see if Walshy has improved his stuff next week too.

I don't imagine Johns was playing too much better after 5 FG matches either.

Knights01

Juniors
Fair call people - I think I have been too harsh on Scotty... I do agree it looks like Walsh and Bailey might get the nod this week against the Broncos. It will be interesting to see if it is just Lockyer out this week or are there other Broncos who are struggling???

Walsh and Bailey as your backup halves! Name another side who has that depth to call on. I am not even remotely bothered that Scotty or Mullo are injured cos we have the players to replace them. Get well soon Scotty and Mullo cos we need the competition in the halves to keep everyone sharp.

Knights01

Juniors
Yes it will be good to see how Walsh and Bailey go in 7 and 6 respectively. A good kicking game will be needed by the boys - to make sure the Broncos are running the ball out from the corners.

I am also looking forward to big Ben Cross having his first run in the mightly red and blue.

Latest posts