What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was it a try??

uuem

Juniors
magpiemax said:
uuem said:
magpiemax said:
Michaelson said:
magpiemax said:
Put it this way.
Had it been the other way around,had that try been awarded to the Bronco's would of you thought it was a fair try?? :?
Advantage goes with the attacking side. Benefit of the doubt goes with the attacking team. A guaranteed finals spot was snatched from us by yet another shitty call.
What doubt?????His arm touched the line! :roll:

Yes it did , but when before or after a part of the ball touched a blade of grass .
Don't you think I wanted it to be a try as well??
But when i think back at that try together with the Senter try(double movement)i just feel that people here are commenting with there heart and not there head.

Yes Max I dont think Senters was a try but as far as Richards goes I do think that benifiet of the doubt applies .
After 30 odd years of following the Tigers I think I have mellowed and can now be inpartial towards a game and referees decisions . With that I am not saying that your call is wrong as the so called experts cant seem to agree so how can us simple supporters be expected to agree .
I guess it will come down to what newspaper you buy tommorrow the Telegraph or the Sunday Mail .

Glennb

Juniors
Slappy said:
Gravity is a force that accelerates bodies with no initial speed at a rate of 9.8 metres per second squared (or 9.8 metres per second per second).
Disregarding air resistance your logic is flawed as both the ball and pat's elbow had initial momentum.

Um...wrong

Gravity is a force that acts on all bodies at all times whether moving or at rest. Also force has nothing to do with momentum.

Glennb B.Sc. (pedant)

Glennb

Juniors
But when i think back at that try together with the Senter try(double movement)i just feel that people here are commenting with there heart and not there head.

I keep reading about Senters "double movement" but what no one is picking up on is Senter was OVER THE LINE when he got the ball, you cant perform a double movement once you are over the line, you can have as many cracks at it as you want.

Glenn b

daslacker

Juniors
Glennb said:

I keep reading about Senters "double movement" but what no one is picking up on is Senter was OVER THE LINE when he got the ball, you cant perform a double movement once you are over the line, you can have as many cracks at it as you want.

Glenn b

exactly,It can't be a double movement.Fair enough if they said held up.
It was a close call.

Slappy

Juniors
Glennb said:
Slappy said:
Gravity is a force that accelerates bodies with no initial speed at a rate of 9.8 metres per second squared (or 9.8 metres per second per second).
Disregarding air resistance your logic is flawed as both the ball and pat's elbow had initial momentum.

Um...wrong

Gravity is a force that acts on all bodies at all times whether moving or at rest. Also force has nothing to do with momentum.

Glennb B.Sc. (pedant)

You are correct about gravity, but in the context the speed at which two objects fall is dependent on their initial velocities. Actually momentum has a lot to do with it because initial momentum affects the tendency of a body to fall.
Force and momentum have nothing to do with eachother, wtf!!!
Maybe when a projectile(lets say a brick) is travelling along through the air (has mass therefore momentum as well)and it hits you in the head, the force that the brick exerts on you may actually cause some damage!!!

Force and momentum are related by Newtons 2nd and 3rd laws!!!
look 'em up!!!

Slappy B.Sc, M.Sc. PhD (in progress)

jirskyr

Juniors
Unfortunately a decision that close comes down to the video ref's opinion. He must just not have thought there was enough doubt. Calls like that happen often, where its so close its up to the ref to say what he believes - whether that be enough doubt to award a try, or disallowing it.

Balmainia

Juniors
did we deserve to win?

no

was it a try?

no

should've it been awarded as a try?

yes

24-24 kick to come, out wide, missed two from there all ready probably miss again

overtime

throw the dice

jilliby kitty

Juniors
i saw one shot early in the reply which show the ball inside the line then you got ten in a row with the ball obscured by the corner post.

ruperts 1st law of nrl. the benifit of the doubt goes to the attacking team .execpt if the defending is owned by news limited 8)

super_coach

First Grade
i would have have thought finch would have said to his boys--if its even close with the tigers,give it to them,we have ripped off all year--I cant remember a team getting ripped off as many times in one year--they say what goes around comes around--their joking--as tim sheens said--have a look it,look it again,if in doubt give to the attack--their the rules

holla4amarshall

Juniors
maybe
we'll have bad calls go OUR way in the next 5 games win them all and play cowboys in the final
sounds good to me
cmon kahma kick in already

Glennb

Juniors
Um...wrong

Glennb B.Sc. (pedant)[/quote]

You are correct about gravity, but in the context the speed at which two objects fall is dependent on their initial velocities. Actually momentum has a lot to do with it because initial momentum affects the tendency of a body to fall.
Maybe when a projectile(lets say a brick) is travelling along through the air (has mass therefore momentum as well)and it hits you in the head, the force that the brick exerts on you may actually cause some damage!!!

look 'em up!!!

Slappy B.Sc, M.Sc. PhD (in progress)[/quote]

Ordinarily Slappy, I'd defer to your longer initials ;-) but not this time. from my hazy memory, momentum = mass * velocity
Force = Mass * acceleration
so if something is travelling at constant velocity (ie no acceleration) there is no force acting on it (Newtons first law .....look it up ;-) ) but the object still has momentum.

When the brick hits you in the head there is a force exerted each way due to the decelleration from initial velocity to zero.

Who'da thunk a physics debate in here.

Glennb

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I don't think it was a try but there still was some doubt as to if it was a try or not thats why the call should of been "Ref's call" their was doubt in the try however how could you say it was conclusive doubt ????

meltiger

First Grade
I wouldn't have given it @ the time .... But I have this lingering feeling the point of the ball touched first.

Slappy

Juniors
Glennb said:
Um...wrong

Glennb B.Sc. (pedant)

look 'em up!!!

Slappy B.Sc, M.Sc. PhD (in progress)[/quote]

Ordinarily Slappy, I'd defer to your longer initials ;-) but not this time. from my hazy memory, momentum = mass * velocity
Force = Mass * acceleration
so if something is travelling at constant velocity (ie no acceleration) there is no force acting on it (Newtons first law .....look it up ;-) ) but the object still has momentum.

When the brick hits you in the head there is a force exerted each way due to the decelleration from initial velocity to zero.

Who'da thunk a physics debate in here.

Glennb[/quote]

You are a pedantic, but force and momentum are related when we are talking about collisions, and this is what the original topic is about.
In a collision the momentum mv has been transferred a force. I'd call that related!!!
My brick anlogy is the same as yours, just because I didn't mention the word decelleration you are getting bent out of shape!!

Latest posts