What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC2013 venue announcement LIVE 8:15am GMT

Misanthrope

Staff member
Wales vs Scotland Millennium Stadium DOUBLE HEADER
Tonga vs Cook Islands Millennium Stadium DOUBLE HEADER

Those are some pretty dire matches to waste a double header on :-/

Evil Homer

Staff member
Those are some pretty dire matches to waste a double header on :-/
Those aren't the correct matches, Wales play Italy and USA play Scotland in their cross-group games. Either way, there's pretty much no chance that those games will be a double-header.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if the 'opening ceremony' event that's still to be announced could end up being Wembley with the Australia/England clash up front to kick things off with a bang. Final at Old Trafford, a semi at the Millenium and who knows for the other semi. Manchester City where they're hosting the Magic Weekend?

Personally I think that the choice of stadiums has been fairly good. People seem to think that 'if you host it they will come' but a lot of these games are only going to draw 5,000 speccies regardless so putting them in 20,000 seat stadiums is going to look rubbish.

Think about it: fans are going to be given a choice of 28 different games. Are they going to afford to go to all of them? No, they're going to have to pick and choose. So if you go to every England game how many other games can you afford to go to as well? Cause I doubt Fiji/America/Italy/Tonga/etc are going to bring a lot of fans with them to their games (happy to be wrong though). Having games in France and Ireland will help spread the load while 'not-so-sexy' fixtures will be placed in the heartlands where they will be celebrations of League that the community can participate in regardless of who is playing.

Also, I find it interesting that the bid announcement was talking about 'supporting' stadiums like the yet-to-be-built Whitehaven stadium. From the sounds of it some of these bids were chosen to support local clubs in getting infrastructure upgrades etc which is awesome if true. The WC is already paying off.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great work organisers. Wales, Ireland & France may not be the biggest venues. However the aim will be to raise the profile so that 8 years later those countries can fill bigger stadiums. Good stuff!

langpark

First Grade
Australia Vs England- Leeds Headingly
Australia vs Fiji- Huddesfield
Fiji vs England- Hull KC Stadium
this must be a typo, are you saying Fiji/England and Australia/Fiji will draw bigger crowds than Australia/England!??

PaulyTom

Juniors
There is big rumors floating about the Final being at Old Trafford.

This would mean the England vs Australia group game being played at Wembley.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Very disappointed to hear that the semi-finals and final venue are not being announced. I don't know of any major tournament that doesn't announce all venues at once, and this move seems to me like there is a major lack of confidence from the organisers

It should give you more confidence in the organisers. It has been strategically put this way to maximize promotion, interests and media attention so far out from the World Cup.

Limerick are zero chance.

:D

Looking at the venunes its likely they'll be a England v Australia and France V New Zealand double header. Most likely at Wembley.

Hearing that Millennium Stadium will be hosting a double header and the opening ceremony.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Only mucking around mate. The decision has been made now and as shocking as it is. Hopefully the stadium, Irish Rugby League and world cup organisers can push the promotion of it.

langpark

First Grade
I completely agree, I'd love nothing more than to see a sellout crowd over there... As I stated earlier though I doubt that will happen...

Latest posts