What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

roughyedspud

Coach
Well yeah there's no 9s or all stars next year...meaning there is room for a WCC game...oh and a testimonial game for Smith & Thurston

Tigers1986

Juniors
The WCC would have more relevance if it was held in October, after both leagues deciders with their winning squads. Might make it more attractive. If I'm not mistaken it's what they did in 1997.

The WCC would have more relevance if it was held in October, after both leagues deciders with their winning squads. Might make it more attractive. If I'm not mistaken it's what they did in 1997.
It should be played as a one off between the 2 Grand Final winners in either Singapore or Hong Kong where there are largish ex pat communities and we can chase the corporate dollar at the same time.

Bore off..Hong Kong or Singapore is never,ever going to happen!
It will do if the price is right and think of the potential money it could make in the long term
Positive exposure = sponsorship = $$$$$$
Its about the same flying time between Sydney and London.Give or take a couple of hours.

Pommy

Coach
It will do if the price is right and think of the potential money it could make in the long term
Positive exposure = sponsorship = $$$$$$
Its about the same flying time between Sydney and London.Give or take a couple of hours.

I once went to watch a Sunderland, Spurs, City, south China double header in Hong Kong. They didn’t sell the stadium out, if they weren’t capable I wouldn’t have much hope for league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Given this is basically a meaningless exhibition that no one seems to care too much about and has trouble selling out, why are we playing this in cities that already host heaps of top level RL?

Take the game to asia, america or africa (im sure the players would love the adventure) and sell it as Australia-Europe world championship.

Maybe RL is unknown in these places, but surely "the 2 best clubs in the world playing off" is enough novelty to sell some tickets.

Better use of the game than playing it in Sydney or North England and having fans say "this is just a shittier version of what we always get"

WireMan

Bench
Take it to an expansion target.
Toronto, Toulouse, Wellington, Perth for example would be a great way to promote the games in areas which already have a small rl presence and are looking for something bigger in the future.
Better than a random place which does nothing for the game long term.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you were gonna sell a game to one of these markets, why would you use a once a year game like the WCC anyway?

Because local fans dont care...

Its an easy game to move since its in the off-season (to games the week before/ after), its not hard to justify (on of te teams is flyin across the world regardless) and the novelty of "the 2 best RL clubs playing off for a World Champions title" would give the match something more to sell.

Really, of all the club games that happen throughout the yeae, this is easily the best choice to take overseas...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you were gonna sell a game to one of these markets, why would you use a once a year game like the WCC anyway?

Because local fans dont care...

Its an easy game to move since its in the off-season (to games the week before/ after), its not hard to justify (on of te teams is flyin across the world regardless) and the novelty of "the 2 best RL clubs playing off for a World Champions title" would give the match something more to sell.

Really, of all the club games that happen throughout the yeae, this is easily the best choice to take overseas...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/8e7e934a027ce2575fa977c059467d39

VICS UP TO CHALLENGE

RUGBY league’s World Club Challenge may not only be saved but could return to Australia in January.

The match looked set to be abandoned because no leading NRL clubs, including premiers Melbourne Storm, were prepared to travel to England to play Super League champions Leeds.

Clubs felt the trip was too onerous on players who will have played and travelled extensively during the World Cup which does not finish until December. But NRL head of strategy Dave Silverton has opened negotiations to bring Leeds to Australia before the start of next season to play at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

If the event were to go ahead, it would attract millions of tourism dollars to Victoria.

It would be a coup for the Victorians who would be able to showcase their champion rugby league team to the rest of the world

roughyedspud

Coach
January?

Wigan & hull are playing south's & st george on Saturday 17 Feb

Why can't Melbourne v Leeds be play on the 16th or 18th Feb?

Why the f**k are they finding it difficult to arrange it?

The Great Dane

First Grade
January?

Wigan & hull are playing south's & st george on Saturday 17 Feb

Why can't Melbourne v Leeds be play on the 16th or 18th Feb?

Why the f**k are they finding it difficult to arrange it?

According to a friend in the know (can't say who, so take it or leave it) the main stumbling block now seems to be Leeds as they don't want to play it down here because they already have sponsors, the stadium, and broadcasters lined up and they don't want to break their deals.

From where I'm standing it seems that both clubs are in the wrong, Melbourne don't want to travel to England because of player burnout, however if they do play the game down here they still want the paycheck just for showing up and they don't want to organise it, and Leeds were dumb and/or arrogant enough to line up all their sponsors, etc, for the game without actually making sure that they had an NRL club lined up to play first and are now angry that they are going to look stupid in front of their partners because they can't deliver what they promised so now they're chucking a bit of a tantrum and trying to shame the Storm into traveling.

roughyedspud

Coach
Your mate in the know....knows nothing..

Leeds have made it very clear they'll travel...

As for sponsors and broadcaster..dacia & skysports/nine have deals in place covering the 2018 event....it was a 2year deal signed in 2016..so Leeds haven't "arrogantly" lined up anything...other than to say they'll play it at elland rd that is...and that was a smart thing to do just in case.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Your mate in the know....knows nothing..

Leeds have made it very clear they'll travel...

As for sponsors and broadcaster..dacia & skysports/nine have deals in place covering the 2018 event....it was a 2year deal signed in 2016..so Leeds haven't "arrogantly" lined up anything...other than to say they'll play it at elland rd that is...and that was a smart thing to do just in case.

Yeah cos Leeds wouldn't have any interest in attracting game day sponsors, publicity events on TV, radio, corporate partners, etc, and would just run with the sponsorship that has been agreed upon by the RFL and/or NRL :rolleyes:.

You're very naive if you believe everything that anybody says in the media, public image and what people actually want or are trying to achieve are very different things.

Anyway I'm not blaming Leeds, as I said it seems that both clubs are being unreasonable in their own ways, just at the time that I spoke to my friend Leeds were the bigger stumbling block to negotiations and the game actually going ahead.

roughyedspud

Coach
Last edited:

Latest posts