What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can't deny it - there is a problem in Sydney

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I was watching the footy show on thursday and turvey mortimer said something which caught my attention. He said "we can't deny that there isn't a problem in Sydney" or something along those lines.

Anyway, this got me thinking, cause I have being denying for a while that there is a problem for the past few months and now I have realised that there is. We can't keep Rugby League as a surburban game that gets piss poor crowds.

We need all Sydney clubs to have certain criteria that they have to fulfill otherwise they can f**k off and die/re-locate/merge/go to NSW Cup.

/end rant.

Last edited:

Once Dead

Bench
Ok, so WHO decides who stays or goes?

Do the merged clubs get an IMMEDIATE entry? If so, why not?

Who sets the criteria? Can you ensure that the criteria is 100% fair and unbiased?

Would you be up for sacrificing YOUR team for the GOOD of the game? Who says that teams can't prosper under proper NRL leadership and initiatives?

Imagine the uproar of teams like the Bulldogs, Roosters or Parramatta being kicked out ......you know it's just going to be Super League's haunting aftermath all over again.

The Tank

Bench
I was watching the footy show on thursday and turvey mortimer said something which caught my attention. He said "we can't deny that there isn't a problem in Sydney" or something along those lines.

Anyway, this got me thinking, cause I have being denying for a while that there is a problem for the past few months and now I have realised that there is. We can't keep Rugby League as a surburban game that gets piss poor crowds.

We need all Sydney clubs to have certain criteria that they have to fulfill otherwise they can f**k off and die/re-locate/merge/go to NSW Cup.

/end rant.

So does that mean there isn't a problem? :?

Once Dead

Bench
Are you up for Newcastle being kicked out of the competition? If its for the good of the game....?

Knightmare

Coach
MG "Let's have a 12 team comp!"

Yeah MG, let's watch our game sink to the nationwide profile of Super 14's. :roll:

This Year?

Immortal
Why doesn't the NRL cut another Sydney team and bring in a team from Tasmania...that will truely make it a national game and definitely improve crowd numbers..:sarcasm:

bartman

Immortal
We should be looking at swapping two existing Sydney clubs for the next two development/expansion opportunities. Shore up the game's standing in relation to RU/AFL/Soccer, keep the kids interested in the game (children are our future etc). The unlucky clubs can keep their identity in VB cup etc like Newtown, Balmain etc, or if they are in a fit enough position, then can relocate to the new territiory but keep their traditional side running in VB/U20s etc?

Next in: Central Coast, either Adelaide/Perth (get into Adelaide before RU does, or get into Perth to compete with AFL/RU)
Next out: two worst performed Sydney clubs, criteria including junior development, finances, crowds, geogrpahy etc. Would make good business sense for Sharks and Roosters to be encouraged to look into it, imo...

Inferno

Coach
Would never happen. You cut clubs and you will be losing fans, not gaining them.

How many people would simply turn to another club if their club vanished?

I know I wouldn't.

Special K

Coach
Given the damage our band has just suffered with gas and sbw going lets go and piss off thousands and thousands of people who actually do love and support the game.

People talk about it would mean more money if there was less clubs. Rubbish. Who says that say that bloke who props up the eagles would give money to league if we killed them off? Would Rusty invest in league if we cut souths?

Why ruin your best asset in this war? If league loses ownership of sydney then they are very f**ked.

Pigskin

Juniors
Would never happen. You cut clubs and you will be losing fans, not gaining them.

How many people would simply turn to another club if their club vanished?

I know I wouldn't.

Unfortunately, your sentiment is that shared by far too many in NSW.

Sydney is the problem as the OP tries to point out. We don't have proactive administrators so I don't think there is much for Sydney fans to worry about however.

Hard decisions need to be made. Losing a minority of fans such as Inferno could be something that just has to be done.

Oink !

This Year?

Immortal
Unfortunately, your sentiment is that shared by far too many in NSW.

Sydney is the problem as the OP tries to point out. We don't have proactive administrators so I don't think there is much for Sydney fans to worry about however.

Hard decisions need to be made. Losing a minority of fans such as Inferno could be something that just has to be done.

Oink !

What makes you think Inferno is one of the minority?? I for one share the same view as him.

Pigskin

Juniors
Nobody said or wants whatever team you or Inferno support to just be cast aside. Whether your team merges or is relocated, not all supporters would cease supporting them.

Only a minority would ... If that includes you, while sad and nobody's ideal situation, for the good of the game, sobeit

Oink !

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't understand this fixation with cutting clubs.

We can still expand to a an eventual 20 team comp without killing clubs. Only issues are:

1. Playing strength - Is there enough quality players for more teams? Arguably yes if we can stop them leaving for RU/ESL and if Perth brings its own players through, Wellington encourages more Kiwis to play the game and the jnr development programs improve.

2. NRL grants to clubs - Can the NRL afford to pay out more grants? Yes if it gets an increased TV deal becasue of the new markets and if News stop taking its $8mill a year

3. Crowds - Shouldn't be an issue as any new clubs will not be competing with exosting clubs (take note Q'land!)

Only concern re too many Sydney clubs is A) are they holding the salary cap back due to their financial state B) are they damaging the ability to seel the game for more money to sponsors and media

Special K

Coach
Nobody said or wants whatever team you or Inferno support to just be cast aside. Whether your team merges or is relocated, not all supporters would cease supporting them.

Only a minority would ... If that includes you, while sad and nobody's ideal situation, for the good of the game, sobeit

Oink !
Losing the strangle hold we have on sydney would be good for the game?

j0nesy

Bench
The problem is that a huge percentage of rugby league players are from NSW or QLD. If we are going to expand the game to non-RL states then I think it needs to be done with a serious junior development program for that region. Can anyone tell me what the Storm a doing for junior rugby league in victoria?

Sydney is a rugby league stronghold, how can cutting a Sydney club improve the situation?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The problem is that a huge percentage of rugby league players are from NSW or QLD. If we are going to expand the game to non-RL states then I think it needs to be done with a serious junior development program for that region. Can anyone tell me what the Storm a doing for junior rugby league in victoria?

Sydney is a rugby league stronghold, how can cutting a Sydney club improve the situation?

Eight players in the Storm's U20's squad are locals and there are a number of WA players in the NRL already, despite WA not even having a professional team.