What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We must kill Sydney clubs to survive

Roosterphin1

Juniors
the NRL cannot compete with other codes if it continues to be a Sydney centric competition with a couple of Qld teams. Will never generate the crowds, TV revenue and more importantly the corporate sponsorship to do so.

I am a Rooster fan so I obviously dont want to see my team go but I also dont want to see RL go down as well.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
the NRL cannot compete with other codes if it continues to be a Sydney centric competition with a couple of Qld teams. Will never generate the crowds, TV revenue and more importantly the corporate sponsorship to do so.

I am a Rooster fan so I obviously dont want to see my team go but I also dont want to see RL go down as well.

No. Rugby league is going down the pan regardless I'm afraid. Expansion will merely kill it quicker.

dice

Juniors
That's BS. League kicked AFL's butt in the TV ratings yet only got half of the money AFL is getting in TV rights. That is a $70million pa shortfall in revenue which could have doubled the salary cap without it costing the clubs or fans a single cent extra.

IMO, the real problem is how was his shortfall allowed to occur? Is it just a coincidence that the shortfall benefits News Ltd at the expense of the NRL and that the NRL CEO and some of the Directors have been assigned by News Ltd?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
That's BS. League kicked AFL's butt in the TV ratings yet only got half of the money AFL is getting in TV rights. That is a $70million pa shortfall in revenue which could have doubled the salary cap without it costing the clubs or fans a single cent extra.

IMO, the real problem is how was his shortfall allowed to occur? Is it just a coincidence that the shortfall benefits News Ltd at the expense of the NRL and that the NRL CEO and some of the Directors have been assigned by News Ltd?

The idea that everyone in Sydney is just going to forget their allegiances and follow 4 contrived teams, and then depend upon Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth is madness.

We need to concentrate upon being a niche sport in NSW and Queensland.

Schillaci

Juniors
"The game can find its niche in parts of Australasia and northern Europe, but its future lies in consolidation and managed decline, rather than imperialistic sporting growth"

fightingirish69

Juniors
tv ratings mean nothing... how can judge a codes success by the amount of people sitting on their backsides at home?

a world club comp is the answer the esl/arl/ffl must act NOW - this can be done. Each country will still maintain a local domestic comp

18 team comp as follows- 2 rounds - 34 games - Top 10

5- AUS
4- UK
1- Russia
1- France
1 -New Zealand
1- Combined pacific islands
1- PNG
1- USA
1- China
1- India
1- Japan

Inferno

Coach
tv ratings mean nothing... how can judge a codes success by the amount of people sitting on their backsides at home?

Probably because the money brought into the game for the TV rights is worth a sh*tload more every other income source combined.

dice

Juniors

They don't mean nothing. That is ridiculous. They should not be foolishly misinterpreted either though.

For Pay TV rights AFL get $156M pa, NRL gets $83M pa, yet NRL has more TV viewers. That is a $73M pa difference in revenue.

Foxtel's argument that the extra money going to the AFL is an investment in future subscribers may have been valid 15 years ago when hardly anyone had pay tv, but I fail to see how it is relevant now. NRL were dudded, period.

gong_eagle

First Grade
We must kill Sydney clubs to survive

By Nick Walshaw | July 31, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24103754-5006066,00.html

ROOSTERS coach Brad Fittler has sensationally urged the NRL to kill off some Sydney clubs - insisting expansion into Queensland and regional NSW is the best hope for the code's survival. Speaking with The Daily Telegraph last night, Fittler said new clubs were needed "tomorrow" on the Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Coffs Harbour.
And while centenary celebrations might be in full swing, the Bondi Junction boss said relocating or dumping Sydney clubs was the only way it could happen.
"Because right now our game isn't utilising its strongest areas," Fittler said.
"We need less teams in Sydney and more in areas where we're strong - that just makes sense.
"We need clubs in communities like the Central Coast, Sunshine Coast, Coffs Harbour . . . I don't understand why we're not there already."
Expansion has once again become an NRL talking point following the decision of Bulldogs renegade Sonny Bill Williams to walk out on a five-year deal with the Bulldogs on Saturday night.
Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, Central Coast and Papua New Guinea have already been mentioned as possible new franchises - with Fittler now adding Coffs Harbour to that list.
The tourist destination already has an international stadium and, according to the former Origin star, is a better option for league's future than some of the struggling Sydney clubs.
But the obvious question then becomes, which club should go . . . the Roosters?
When pushed on which city clubs should now bite the bullet, Fittler said: "I think it's up to the NRL, they've got to make some tough decisions. Got to look at every Sydney club.
"But you only have to see what's happening up in Brisbane. It's such a great footy area and we've got great support up there, great crowds right now.
"Yet the city has got only one team and a Gold Coast side which was only introduced last year."
One of the game's most respected voices, Fittler said the Williams saga had simply confirmed it was time for the game's leaders to start making some tough decisions on the future of the code. And one of those, he said, was an urgent streamlining of its administration.
"Because right now we've got about 14 boards running the game," he said. "No wonder it's so hard to make a decision."
Yet the retired Kangaroo also supported the move by NRL boss David Gallop and all 16 NRL clubs to pursue legal action against the runaway Bulldog.
"Because you can't walk out of contract," Fittler shrugged.
"If players want to go to French rugby, mate, I don't care. It's their life so the decision is up to them, it doesn't affect me.
"And if a French club is paying blokes more than $1 million per season, well, I don't think there's much we can do.
"So if a player wants to make a lot of money, France seems to be the place to do that. But they shouldn't be able to go if they've signed an NRL contract."
It was a message yesterday supported by Roosters and NSW Origin No. 6 Braith Anasta.
"I don't understand how you can sign a contract for so long and then leave a quarter of the way through," Anasta said. "How can an NRL contract mean so little?
"When anyone signs with a club they should be prepared to stay for the length of that deal. Otherwise there would be no point anyone signing anything."
So has the saga affected Anasta's opinion of the Polynesian superstar he played alongside to win the 2004 NRL premiership?
"No, because I know Sonny Bill well. He's a top bloke and we've been friends for a long time now.
"So I'm certainly not going to come out and bag him . . . especially when I don't know what's going on. Don't know why he left.
"But I will say that things could've been handled a lot better. I mean, I certainly know how tough it can be in the NRL spotlight.
"But, as I said before, I just don't think you can walk out on a contract that you've signed not that long ago."
Anasta also said that any suggestions of a mass exodus were also off the mark.
Despite being an outstanding rugby prospect in his youth, he insisted that French rugby clubs were not about to plunder the NRL playing ranks.
"I can't see too many other players doing what he's done. Because while everyone may say loyalty is dead in rugby league, it's not.
"When you sign with a club, you're connected to that club. To the players. To the fans. You're emotionally involved and it becomes a part of your life.
"And let's be honest, there aren't too many league players who are going to do well over there, anyway. So I don't think anyone is too worried.
"There's been a lot of hoo-hah in the papers but it certainly hasn't changed my opinion of how the game is going.
"I'm quite happy with things and most of the players I've spoken with feel the same.
"There are a few issues to be sorted out but I don't think I can answer them."

Sydney Roosters, Sydney Dragons maybe Penrith Panthers, maybe Sydney Sea Eagles.

Relocate the rest or take them to 40000 feet and kick the out, move on.

Raging Rabbit

juniors
What a load of rubbish.

Manly's owner who I would listen to more than Fittler when it comes to the economics of football seems to think otherwise.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...call-up-delmege/2008/07/30/1217097331255.html

Yep, have to agree with you there.

Privatisation is the way forward, Fittlers club is effectively privatised anyway.

It is the pokie bound clubs without any assets that may be in real trouble should this "rationalisation" fever take hold.

fanatique

Juniors
Absolute bulldust. 9 sydney clubs in a metro area of about 4.5 million draw about 15,000 a game. One Brissy club in a city of about 1.5 million draws about 30,000 or a bit more.

Per head Sydneysiders turn out more than Brissyites. Even if we allow the titans eat inot brissy we still have the bronce with at least a million catchment area. Queenslanders are no more likely to attend the game than NSWelshmen. This is FACT.

fanatique

Juniors

I totally agree. I am sick to death of all this talk of TV ratings. The game is about players and fans. In numbers of both we are stagnant.

Dice says we kick the AFL's butt in ratings. Nonsense. Apples for apples teh AFL is ahead and we know it. It is absolute blind one eyed nonsense to take prime time fixtures and throw in double connted regionals and pretend that because they outdo non prime time AFL we "kick butt"

Bulldust. OZTAM has AFL consistently ahead and of course they are. They have more fans.

Ratings is a bling alley. We are NOT winning nd even if we are SO WHAT? We need players and fans. Not couch potatoes.

Latest posts