What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We were missing something in the Pack

Our backrowers dont have a hint of skill about them. They played really well yesterday. Wagon , Morrison,Hindmasrh were very very good. I just believe that you need a ball player or 2 in the forwards. Someone that can slip the ball before the line or hit the line and slip a pass. I will get bagged for this but If Feleti was at lock yesterday we would have had that X factor that the game needed. We were too predictable. We can't alyways have those Robotic players we need some off the cuff type of skill.

Hopefully Feleti gets his shot next year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we won 9 in a row with those three in the back row, and we have Widders to play the ball playing back rower

Avenger

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
Our backrowers dont have a hint of skill about them. They played really well yesterday. Wagon , Morrison,Hindmasrh were very very good. I just believe that you need a ball player or 2 in the forwards. Someone that can slip the ball before the line or hit the line and slip a pass. I will get bagged for this but If Feleti was at lock yesterday we would have had that X factor that the game needed. We were too predictable. We can't alyways have those Robotic players we need some off the cuff type of skill.

He will buddy, he will.

mateo.jpg

Twizzle said:
we won 9 in a row with those three in the back row, and we have Widders to play the ball playing back rower

Widders is not exactly ball playing more like ball running.

We have 3 very similar types of players in the backrow Hindmarsh, Morro and Wagon. You need to have a balance IMO. When we needed something special all we could do was just hit it up.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
Avenger,

U should have saw him on Saturday in the rain. Standout! Again

I told him already ;-)

another bloke who would of played some first grade had he not injured his ankle was Weller, his got wicked hands good on his feet and get sniff a try, just needs to put on some more weight ;-)

Avenger

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
Avenger,

U should have saw him on Saturday in the rain. Standout! Again

Mate I get excited every time I see him play. I am also very happy when I hear that Blake is playing well. Remember he played with Mullen for the Schoolboys and was rated as good as him.

Avenger said:
Mate I get excited every time I see him play. I am also very happy when I hear that Blake is playing well. Remember he played with Mullen for the Schoolboys and was rated as good as him.

Eela our coaching staff find flaws in their games and tell them they are not good enough. They have been over coached and confused out of the game. Spoke to Willie Tonga the other week, put it this way he didn't give Brian Smith a rap.

Im glad in a way that Brian Smith and Taylor have gone Eela. Maybe just maybe now we can move on from the text book teaching/coaching style and let players with skill and players who play what's infront of them get a chance. Let players play with the Natural style.

Bigfella

Coach
Jake I agree that we lack skill in the pack. No question.

There is one other factor that we lack that say St George showed on Saturday night. That is the ability to run different angles, and provide more than one option for the opposition defence.

Dragons used runners angles back in behind the ruck, and from different widths, to overcome an aggressive defence and creeping markers.

We didn't use ballplaying, or angles, or decoys, and relied on head down bum up, yet we didn't really have the power or size to do so. We lost that battle for the last 3 weeks.

I don't necessarily agree that Mateo could have won us that game; I don;t think anyone was getting the ball on or near the advantage line enough to actually do any damage as a ball player.

It was heartbreaking that on average 3-4 of our hitups on every set were completely ineffectual. For that reason I never felt we could win the game despite the scoreline being pretty close.

If we can get some better structure in our pack; starting with the acting dummy half and then his runners (including the big outside backs) not only could Feleti blossom, but Hindmarsh and others could be more damaging in attack and Tim Smith could actually have some time to select his options better and to effect them with more precision.

Glad to have a coach coming from completely outside the current structure who will have a more objective eye.

Bigfella said:
Jake I agree that we lack skill in the pack. No question.

There is one other factor that we lack that say St George showed on Saturday night. That is the ability to run different angles, and provide more than one option for the opposition defence.

Dragons used runners angles back in behind the ruck, and from different widths, to overcome an aggressive defence and creeping markers.

We didn't use ballplaying, or angles, or decoys, and relied on head down bum up, yet we didn't really have the power or size to do so. We lost that battle for the last 3 weeks.

I don't necessarily agree that Mateo could have won us that game; I don;t think anyone was getting the ball on or near the advantage line enough to actually do any damage as a ball player.

It was heartbreaking that on average 3-4 of our hitups on every set were completely ineffectual. For that reason I never felt we could win the game despite the scoreline being pretty close.

If we can get some better structure in our pack; starting with the acting dummy half and then his runners (including the big outside backs) not only could Feleti blossom, but Hindmarsh and others could be more damaging in attack and Tim Smith could actually have some time to select his options better and to effect them with more precision.

Glad to have a coach coming from completely outside the current structure who will have a more objective eye.

Well said mate, All I was trying to say is that we need a better balance in the forwards something other than the normal bump and grind.

Bigfella

Coach
Absolutely. In the wash up, from the moment we got back to 12-6 until the end of the game, we didn't actually play much footy at them. We were brave, and we completed our sets, and we held them out ... but I never felt like we were going to score again.

We showed a heap of ticker, but not the full set of tricks we could have thrown at them. I think that is the thing to llok most forward to about next year - hopefully getting the best out of some of our players in the club at all different levels.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Jake the snake said:

is it that they don't have skill? or was it more that the gameplan called for them not to take risks with offloads, etc?

strider

Post Whore
i think the skill comes on the back of some good strong play to get the defense on the back foot - without Fui we struggle to get teams back peddling - Fui is our platform setter up front

Sean7

Juniors
To be honest, I think the entire side was picked in the hope of being able to hang on and maybe grab a win if the Storm are a bit off their game. I wonder if they really gave themselves a shot. I know Tim Smith cops a lot of criticism, but if you were the one and only creative force in an entire side, you'd struggle too. And once McKinnon was gone, there was the last player that could turn nothing into something.

I do agree that the forward pack would've been better off with a ball player somewhere, but the same can be said for the backline. The were way too many dead-ends attack. I don't know if you can play it quite that safe when it comes to finals football.

Brian Smith always preferred to plug gaps rather than find the real answer and I do think that has cost us in the past and it cost us yesterday.

PIG

Juniors
We have problems in alot of areas....our effort and desire, as well as Melb being slightly off enable us to stay close.

That and we have Hindy- he cleans up almost every half chance be it inside balls, players beating the irst man, players splitting the markers....he is an absolute marvel. We dont have him yesterday and the scorm score over 20 easy.

strider

Post Whore
Sean7 said:
Brian Smith always preferred to plug gaps rather than find the real answer and I do think that has cost us in the past and it cost us yesterday.
yes, we must reference brian smith along with every loss from now on for no particular reason what-so-ever

eels_

Juniors
our pack is/was fine.

It was our halves that were the issue against the storm. Our last tackle options were diabolical most of the time. That was the major factor in our loss if you ask me.

Our forwards handled their forwards quite well. We were not out muscled in this game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I thought our pack did well but as Jake said we missed a bit of craftiness, players who can do a little bit with the ball in their hand and I believe we'll have that next year with Weller and Feleti.

Latest posts