What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We will not open the chequebook - Broncos

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ach-rivals-stars/story-e6frep76-1226450420463

THE under-performing Broncos have been given the ultimate show of faith, with a public promise that Red Hill will not attempt to poach from rival NRL clubs. The Broncos have emphatically ruled out entering the player market despite concerns over halfback Peter Wallace's form and whether young guns Corey Norman and Ben Hunt can bridge the gap between potential and performance.
Millions of dollars worth of rugby league talent are up for grabs, including Cowboys and Australian star Johnathan Thurston who is off contract at the end of next season.
But Brisbane insist they won't look externally to beef up their playing roster.
"The answer is simple - we have not even contemplated looking at players from other clubs," Broncos chief executive Paul White said yesterday.
"I want to back the players we have already invested in.

"I support what has been done to secure the majority of our playing roster and the development systems we have in place that have always served this club well.
"That is not to say we will not ever be in the market for players from other clubs.
"But I can guarantee you it is certainly not something we are pursuing at the moment."
The Broncos, after four consecutive losses, have plunged from sitting pretty near the top of the ladder to being on the verge of dropping out of the top eight.
A ridiculously stupid decision. Basically what they're saying is that they're going to have a few extra million to play with under the salary cap and they aren't going to use a dime of it??

Last edited:

broncos70

Juniors
How does a person troll this much? I don't understand how someone has that much time and effort to try to annoy people? How do we complain about this guy?

back to topic, I think we'll make a play for thurston!

unbreaK

Juniors
Unless Wallace gets dropped and Hunt / Norman develop into great players over the off-season I think we really need to consider poaching someone, we have to have a tonne of salary cap after losing Lockyer/Civ/T'eo/Beale

JamesBrandy

Juniors
We'd be mad if we didn't make a play for Thurston, but there's still another season before he becomes available.

Snappy

Coach
Broncos chief Andrew Gee waters down talk on Johnathan Thurston

BRISBANE recruitment chief Andrew Gee has backed under-fire halves Peter Wallace and Corey Norman amid speculation the Broncos are set to make a big-money bid for Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston.

Rumours sweeping league circles suggest the Broncos are procuring the funds to lure Thurston, who said a fortnight ago he will weigh-up "all offers" when his current deal with the Cowboys expires at the end of 2013.

Gee last month described the form of Wallace and Norman as "terrible", sparking speculation the Broncos could look to Thurston's match-winning brilliance to bolster their scrumbase in 2014.

But salary cap pressures could hamper any purported bid for Thurston, with the Broncos facing an outlay of around $1 million a season to have any hope of luring the Maroons ace to Brisbane.

While acknowledging Thurston's rare ability, Gee said the Broncos had not lost faith in Norman and Wallace, who are signed until the end of 2013 and 2014 respectively.

"We are happy with what we've got," Gee said last night. "Apparently we have a slush fund ready and waiting (to sign Thurston), but can someone tell me where it is?"

"He (Thurston) would command a lot under the salary cap and we are chock-a-block anyway."

Thurston's future in Townsville may be uncertain, but Cowboys young gun Michael Morgan is determined to establish a long-term union with the Test playmaker.

The 20-year-old overshadowed Thurston in last week's 52-12 mauling of the Warriors. He posted six tackle busts, two try-assists, two linebreaks and 118m from seven runs - headlined by his 30m burst for Ash Graham's 19th-minute try that left the Warriors floundering at 22-0.

Ray Thompson began the season in the No.7 jumper but with the 22-year-old battling a shoulder injury, Morgan wants to be Thurston's regular scrumbase partner.

"Definitely. At the start of the year it was a bit hard, the team was going well and winning so I couldn't be unhappy with not being picked, but I'm glad once I got my opportunity I took it," Morgan said.

"I had fun, it was a good game to be a part of.

"Thursto doesn't stop talking during the game, when there's a stoppage he'll have a word and tell us what we have to do.

"He's helped me a lot this year."

Retiring Cowboys hooker Aaron Payne said Morgan had natural footballing instincts that can't be coached.

"Morgs reacts well to stuff, he knows what is happening, he can pre-empt stuff - and that's what makes a good footballer," Payne said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...hnathan-thurston/story-e6frep5x-1226451242970

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If we really are "chock-a-block" with all the players we have lost over the last few seasons, and for next season, then there are too many players getting overs. Very poor management if true.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Seriously not keen on Brisbane throwing big $ at Thurston. He'd be 31 by the time he pulled on a jersey for us. It would be instantly creating another Lockyer situation where all of our hopes are pinned on an aging large chunk of the cap.

A young gun or two is the way to spend this enormous amount of cap space we apparently have.

If we could get Thurston for cheap, then it sounds like a plan but that's clearly not going to happen.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Do you know if he's off-contract anytime soon Pete?

EDIT - never mind, just saw the Warriors have him wrapped up until 2015

AceAv

Juniors
So losing teo and beale is because why again? I thought we were investing in the current young squad....

hellteam

First Grade
This pisses me off so much. Especially with this new 36000 members drive. Broncos are absolutely kidding themselves if they think 36000 people will pay to watch Wallace every week

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
So losing teo and beale is because why again? I thought we were investing in the current young squad....

Beale is wasted on the wing and wants play fullback, but he'll never get a shot there under Hook. Te'o is just a merc. There's investing in a young squad, and then there's paying overs to keep players, albeit good ones.

beads6

First Grade
I find it hard to believe we don't have some cash spare. Our squad isn't really filled with genuine superstars. I think we will have a red hot crack at Folau when he is out of a contract. Also if a halfback that Hook thinks is worthy we will have a crack as well. The club isn't stupid. They know that there isn't a lot on the market at the moment so they are trying to fill the team with some confidence.

broncos70

Juniors
why would we want folau though? He's a centre and wasn't the fast one. Inglis was always the speedster. There is always a new centre/back that pops up every year and carves up. This year was hurrell. We have Reed and Copley (who I think will be a gun centre). OR we can put Yow Yeh in the centres. He'd be gun. He played there a bit for the indigenous all stars, and played fullback too.

Broncos need to admit that they don't have the talent at the moment. They are far too arrogant. The under 20s have nothing and have had nothing for four years now.

Latest posts