What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 down, whats the thoughts?

Kid

Juniors
Week 1 of the finals are done and dusted , who do the forumers rate and not rate so far?

Loudstrat

Coach
Brisbane and Wests the most impressive. Brisbane didnt have a down period. Wests came from behind against by far the most formidable opponent any of the top 4 faced. Manly's comeback was brilliant. Melbourne were lucky they were playing the knights - and equally lucky they get a home prelim final, but need to improve. Saints played greta - but will get no confidence from the luck of Wests victory. I think they will lift at Suncorp, and really test Brisbane. The Warriors? Who knows? If Big Manu wasnt so generous to the Broncos the score could have been very different.

I see the home sides potentially being troubled next weekend, but if they come up with good wins should have enough momentum to eventually meet in the grand final.

LatK7

First Grade
Melbourne looking good. Everything going to plan for them.
Manly pretty much the same, but will need to start better.
Brisbane also strong.
Wests looking dangerous at the right time and will only get better.
Warriors are only beating themselves.
Saints look spent. I doubt they'll beat Brisbane.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Contenders at the moment:
Tigers - being able to come back like that is a great quality to have.
Melbourne - did it with ease I thought.
Broncos - dominant. Interested to see what happens if they ever get caught behind. Bit of uncertainty.
Manly - Looked rattled early which was concerning. Settled down though and then dominated. Bit of uncertainty.

Warriors and Dragons I don't think have it.

simmo1

First Grade
The best six teams are left. Every match-up from here on in is mouth watering.

HowHigh

Coach
Broncos, Manly and Tigers looking strong and Melbourne is Melbourne.

Not very confident we'll beat Broncos next week.

Warriors might give the Tigers a good game but Tigers should win.

Good advertisement for a 5 team finals series.

Hate to say it, but us, the Warriors and the Cows didn't deserve to be there and we all showed it this week.

ceagle

Bench
Contenders at the moment:
Tigers - being able to come back like that is a great quality to have.
Melbourne - did it with ease I thought.
Broncos - dominant. Interested to see what happens if they ever get caught behind. Bit of uncertainty.
Manly - Looked rattled early which was concerning. Settled down though and then dominated. Bit of uncertainty.

Warriors and Dragons I don't think have it.
You commended the Tigers for coming back in the 2nd half, but since Manly did the same thing you aren't convinced.

typicalfan

Coach
I was thinking Manly stand out. The Cowboys didn't play bad and to lose 42-8 and not play that poorly just shows how overwhelming the Sea Eagles can be. Reminded me of the 2008 Grand Final.

Having said that I think the Melbourne/Tigers side of the draw is easiest. I don't see the Warriors surviving so it is essentially a two horse race whilst the Dragons certainly had the Tigers under the pump for a while, a little more confidence and they could challenge the Broncos or Manly.

For the Tigers the preliminary could well be tougher than the GF, playing Melbourne down there is about as tough as it gets.

firechild

First Grade
Broncos v Dragons being a tougher game might work in favour of Manly. With the Tigers cruising past the Warriors in what is unlikely to be a particularly physical match, whoever wins (probably Tigers) will be fresher for the prelim than the winner of the Dragons v Broncos match.

Garts

Bench
For me it is down to Manly, Tigers and Broncos, in no particular order. I won't write off Melbourne but they have not impressed me lately so I have them as 4th.

ironhorse

Juniors
I think the storm are already in , the tigers v warriors will be a tougher contest than some think and then the winner faces the storm in melbourne . Storm in i think .

Other side broncos v dragons will also be tough and physical game , head says broncos to face manly not sure of that one but will say the GF will be storm v manly/broncos .

azza29

Juniors
Thoughts are that Gallop will never be welcome in Melbourne, not so much an icy reception as open hostilities today.

Melbourne will need to lift their game against the Tigers/Warriors, but should still win I reckon.

Prediction for Manly/Broncos and Melbourne/Tigers prelims, and a Broncos/Melbourne final.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Tigers to extend their streak to 12, beating Broncos in the GF.

I think Tigers will be tested by Warriors but play 40 good enough minutes to end them. Then Tigers will finally put an 80 minute performance together twice in a row v storm then broncos.