What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 Semis tickets ?

Morro

Juniors
Do tickets for the second week of the finals only go on sale once teams have been decided ?

mickdo

Coach
Pretty sure that's the case this year, as they wanted to be able to move the venue depending on which teams are playing.

Morro

Juniors
Cheers.

though i think both are pencilled in for Aussie Stadium unless the move it interstate. (i may be wrong)

They only moved the game to Nth QLD as Brisbane agreed to play there.
Which you would think unlikely to happen again.. As who would want to play at Melbourne, Brisbane, or Canberra.

Nickeel

Juniors
Morro said:
Cheers.

though i think both are pencilled in for Aussie Stadium unless the move it interstate. (i may be wrong)

They only moved the game to Nth QLD as Brisbane agreed to play there.
Which you would think unlikely to happen again.. As who would want to play at Melbourne, Brisbane, or Canberra.

Yeah, I think the default venue is the SFS, but this will be assessed once the participating clubs become known.

Is it from next year that the games will be at home venues (highest-ranked team) for the first three weeks?

Nick

mickdo

Coach
Nickeel said:
Is it from next year that the games will be at home venues (highest-ranked team) for the first three weeks?

Nick
Are you sure? That would mean a lot of revenue being lost if for example you had a 3rd week final between St George and the Tigers being played at Kograh or Win instead of Telstra or Aussie...

Nickeel

Juniors
mickdo said:
Are you sure? That would mean a lot of revenue being lost if for example you had a 3rd week final between St George and the Tigers being played at Kograh or Win instead of Telstra or Aussie...

No, Sydney teams would play at Aussie/Telstra, others at their home grounds... This is going to be the case for at least Week 2, is it not?

Nick

Balmain_Boy

I think the it's home state finals rather than home city.

So Queensland teams would play at suncorp and NSW teams at SFS/Telstra stadium. No idea what the Storm would do though. Telsta dome maybe?

Nickeel

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
I think the it's home state finals rather than home city.

So Queensland teams would play at suncorp and NSW teams at SFS/Telstra stadium. No idea what the Storm would do though. Telsta dome maybe?

Yeah, that sounds right.

Nick

BrisVegas

Juniors
The 2007 finals series will work as such:

Home finals for weeks 1, 2 and 3

- North QLD playing out of DairyFarmers
- Brisbane/Titans playing out of Suncorp
- Canberra playing out of Canberra
- Newcastle playing at Energy Australia
- Melbourne playing out of a yet to be disclosed venue till their new stadium is complete in 2009
- Warriors playing out of Auckland
-The Sydney based sides will play out of either SFS or Aussie.

the nrl currently have the finals system the afl used to have....which is stupid because it means that 3rd or 4th could be knocked out in the first week

the new afl one is much better
Week 1: 1st vs 4th 2nd vs 3rd winners get week off, losers host final in week 2 against the winners of knockout games 5th vs 8th and 6th vs 7th

mickdo

Coach
BrisVegas said:
The 2007 finals series will work as such:

Home finals for weeks 1, 2 and 3

- North QLD playing out of DairyFarmers
- Brisbane/Titans playing out of Suncorp
- Canberra playing out of Canberra
- Newcastle playing at Energy Australia
- Melbourne playing out of a yet to be disclosed venue till their new stadium is complete in 2009
- Warriors playing out of Auckland
-The Sydney based sides will play out of either SFS or Aussie.
Yeah, that sounds more like it...

t-ba

Post Whore
Collingwood Storm said:
the nrl currently have the finals system the afl used to have....which is stupid because it means that 3rd or 4th could be knocked out in the first week

Week 1: 1st vs 4th 2nd vs 3rd winners get week off, losers host final in week 2 against the winners of knockout games 5th vs 8th and 6th vs 7th

Which is the Old NRL one...tbh I'd rather the top 5 came back.

Morro

Juniors
Another question.. It seems there is a limit of 8 tickets... If i want 12, does that mean i have to have two people to purchase say 6 each?

Also do you know if ticketek can make sure all the tickets are together ?

Anyone else had to deal with this ?

phonetic

Juniors
The AFL system is much better.

To be honest I don't know why we still use the McIntyre system when there is such a common sense alternative to it.

Eelectrica

Referee
phonetic said:
The AFL system is much better.

To be honest I don't know why we still use the McIntyre system when there is such a common sense alternative to it.
I think the reason the NRL has kept the McIntyre system is because of the home field issue.
If they were to adopt the current AFL system it would mean teams 5 and 6 would get home games whilsts teams 3 and 4 were away.

Although the obvious solution to that is the highest ranked team gets home field until the Grand final.

phonetic

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
I think the reason the NRL has kept the McIntyre system is because of the home field issue.
If they were to adopt the current AFL system it would mean teams 5 and 6 would get home games whilsts teams 3 and 4 were away.

Although the obvious solution to that is the highest ranked team gets home field until the Grand final.

Exactly.

Teams 3 and 4 either get the home final in round 2 (if they fail to beat their higher ranked opponents in week 1) or in the preliminary final (if they do manage to topple their higher ranked opponents).

This would only work if it were a home state system, as per discussion above, as the NRL would not want prelim finals at grounds like Win Stadium or Brookvale.

Personally I think we could still use the AFL system and only home finals in week 1. In my opinion a shot at automatic access to the prelim final or a second bite at the cherry on neutral turf is enough of a reward for finishing in the top four. I'm sure there'll be those who disagree though.

Sure, teams 5-6 get a home semi, but they are playing sudden death football, with no direct avenue to the preliminary final.

Eelectrica said:

Although that solution only works if 'home fields' are limited to major stadia, otherwise you'd have the potential problem of having a grand final qualifier in front of 20,000 at Brookvale instead of 40,000 plus at Aussie or Telstra.

Edit: What he said!

esssee

Juniors
I believe that the criteria is a Stadium with a capacity of at least 25000. If the Storm were to be in the same position next year, we would have to play our Finals at Telstra Dome, a sh*t of a place to watch Rugby League.

Brutus

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:

The new AFL one is also the old ARL one in 95 and 96 - been there done that.

Latest posts