What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weidler reports that Piggins has met with Coach Maguire.

I didn't support him in 2006, but always felt it was a massive shame George felt he had to stay away and/or felt cast out and/or was cast out (am trying to be politically correct).

If the hatchet has been buried, I for one would be pleased to see it. I don't think ANY Souths fan should feel like they are not welcome in to the fold.

To see Rusty, Piggins, Sattler, Coote, McCarthy, Mario and dozens of club faithful and legends sitting together cheering the Bunnies on...well, it'd make this little bunny have a warm smile on his dial.

DC_fan

Coach
Maguire has made it quite clear who is boss at Souths and it ain't Rusty. Could be interesting times ahead at Souths.

gypsy

Bench
Yeah the best thing Rusty could do, is just keep putting the dollars in , and stay well out of the way.
I remember Adam McDougall complaining about Rusty turning up to training, and telling him what lines to run. Pretty ridiculous.

George back in The Fold

Piggins and Maguire talk peace

Glenn Jackson

November 18, 2011

ipad-art-wide-george-20piggins-420x0.jpg
"I prefer to watch it on TV these days, like the rest of the older blokes" ... George Piggins. Photo: Simon Alekna

GEORGE PIGGINS, the South Sydney saviour who fell out with the club's millionaire co-owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court, has met incoming coach Michael Maguire and told him he would be willing to address the players at training - but only under specific circumstances.
One of those being, no doubt, that Crowe is nowhere near the joint at the time.
The fact he was prepared to meet Maguire could be seen as a softening of the feud between Piggins and the Rabbitohs, which has been simmering since 2006, when Crowe and Holmes a Court took ownership of the club in an at times spiteful ballot.

The former hooker maintained last night he would still not attend a Rabbitohs home game, and explained why to Maguire during their meeting last week at Piggins's Coogee home.
''I prefer to watch it on TV these days, like the rest of the older blokes,'' Piggins said.
''It might be different if it was at Redfern or the SFS, but getting out to Homebush is a bit far.''
That said, he is clearly prepared to attend training.
''He [Maguire] asked about coming to training to talk to the players, and I said: 'Yes, I would, under some circumstances,''' Piggins said. ''I do watch every game they play. If he said to me he'd like me to come [to training], I'd go if I thought I had any value doing it. I might be just a gibbering old man these days.''
Piggins, who was instrumental in the Rabbitohs' readmittance to the competition a decade ago, said he agreed to meet Maguire at the request of the coach and the pair talked for about 90 minutes.
''He wanted to find out a few things about Souths,'' Piggins said. ''There's plenty of people there I haven't got much time for, but I'm not including Michael in that.''
Piggins maintained that the Rabbitohs were better served playing at the Sydney Football Stadium, saying small crowds at ANZ Stadium were like a ''pimple on a pumpkin''

Last edited by a moderator:
Maguire has made it quite clear who is boss at Souths and it ain't Rusty. Could be interesting times ahead at Souths.

As long he has a winning season, I don't think Rusty will give two hoots.

But I reckon Rusty is still the boss. He's paying the wages.

Galeforce

Bench
Good on Maguire for meeting and getting views on Souths leaders/players past and present. Will help him get grasp on strengths and weaknesses from the past and whether underlying issues continue to exist that affect the team.
As for who is boss of Souths , what a hoot! Maguire is the new COACH and should be responsible for anything that affects the team performance. Rusty is the boss and is responsible to ensure that Maguire gets what he needs. If Maguire does not get the performance that Rusty expects reasonable , then Rusty will fire Maguire . Maguire cannot fire Rusty. Who is the boss , lol.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Crowe is ultimately the boss. However I'm sure Maguire and Crowe went into detail about their respective roles and because of Maguire's references and success at Wigan, I think Crowe has given him a lot of freedom to do things his way.

As for the situation with Piggins. I'm glad he's gotten over his 5 year sook. He's a great man and done a lot for the club, but his attitude since 2006 of taking his ball and going home has been dissapointing and I hope he's turned a corner with his relationship with the club.

Noone is asking him to be best mates with Rusty, but it would be nice if he stopped criticizing us in public and looked for a positive role within the club whether it be formally or informally. He's got a lot to give the club if he wants, and if he has the right attitude.

I bet (and I doubt this ever really happened) that Rusty won't be whispering tips in the locker room.

I always found that impossible. A man who puts in some millions then trying to be coach. LOL.

boo_boo

Juniors
Everyone needs to eat some humble pie once in a while including Rusty & he still needs to accept that money cant buy everything including respect.

boo_boo

Juniors
Rabbs, i realise that your disdain for Piggins has no boundaries but Maguire has elected to contact George for all the right reasons so if he can give the club some of his time to address the players as a former Souths player & coach then i can see no wrong in it.

To be fair, I hope Maguire brings in Shine, Martin, Coleman, Langmack and Kitinas too.

Maybe he can be def sure of what not to do at Souths.

:lol:

Port boy

Juniors
I loved watching Georges charges as a teenager.

It pains me to see him outcast by some and doggedly digging his heals in himself to prove a point.

No one is a winner here.

Come back George and join the party, all is forgiven. :)

rabbitoh vince

Juniors
Most pleasing thing about this article to me is that we have a coach who is actually interested in learning a bit more about the proud history of our famous club,how can you instill pride and passion into your players about the club they are playing for if you don't know anything about the place,,I have a very good feeling about Mr Maguire so far.

RAB-161

Juniors
Yeah the best thing Rusty could do, is just keep putting the dollars in , and stay well out of the way.
I remember Adam McDougall complaining about Rusty turning up to training, and telling him what lines to run. Pretty ridiculous.
...and you believed it. - pretty ridiculous.

Latest posts