What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird but very cool

Allo

Juniors
Matt Sing is Asian I think.
Used to like watching him play.
Played for Cowboys, Queensland and Australia.

cleary89

Coach
I went to a selective high school so heaps of asians, the school footy team had 3 of them. My asian mate last night told me how he went down to join a union team but has no f**king idea whats going on.

I'm a teacher in a school with 90% esl, probably half asian but heaps of the kids love their footy. I run a tipping comp in my class and half the prizes in my weekly raffle are nrl (mainly old saints shit i dont need no more) gear.

Doomednow

Bench
Craig Wing and Andrew Everingham both have Philipino heritage.

Everingham is part asian, then? I thought he was, but then assumed he was just an asian looking islander. He's a great player. That's awesome. Big fan of diversity in the league.

Nothing stopping asian guys from bulking up, either. This perception that they are all small framed and incapable of putting on muscle isn't exactly accurate.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Everingham is part asian, then? I thought he was, but then assumed he was just an asian looking islander. He's a great player. That's awesome. Big fan of diversity in the league.

Nothing stopping asian guys from bulking up, either. This perception that they are all small framed and incapable of putting on muscle isn't exactly accurate.

Very true. Look at the second generation Vietnamese kids these days, much bigger than the generation of immigrants that arrived here a mere 30-40 years ago. Amazing what access to protein (and fat) does to growing bodies. Many of their parents, poor lot, were suffering from chronic malnutrition. Anybody would end up smaller after being subject to the stress on health and diet that they suffered.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Indeed there are quite a few second-generation asian kids who have now grown up to love footy. Im asian myself and just got out of high school; i knew/know a lot of asians who enjoy watching and playing, mostly touch anyway. Bulking up has never been a problem, height-wise.. well im a little challenged lol

TheRam

Coach
Indeed there are quite a few second-generation asian kids who have now grown up to love footy. Im asian myself and just got out of high school; i knew/know a lot of asians who enjoy watching and playing, mostly touch anyway. Bulking up has never been a problem, height-wise.. well im a little challenged lol

:lol: Your funny.

Anyway I hope we see many, many more asians in the League.

The Devil

Bench
I'm 2nd generation asian and I'd say the majority of my mates are footy mad as well but as Chook Norris has mentioned, we have no problems bulking up but we're just so vertically challenged compared to others lol.

We play regularly in oztag comps and some of my mates are in first grade in their Uni teams, so maybe we'll see some asians making the grade soon.

bobmar28

Bench
If some Chinese kids do ever make the grade we could have some very funny names being called out during the game.

Like jharal Yow Yeh? I don't know his ethnic background but his name sounds chinese.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson is half Laotian, and I think there's been a few other asians here and there in the NRL.

Craig Wing, Andrew Everingham - both half Filipino. edit...just saw eozsmiles comment.

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
Cool story.

Dennis Bendall was an asian player for Balmain in the 70's....broke his neck in a diving accident of all things.

Alex Chan was half Moari half Chinese....massive unit in the islander mould, but his facial features were asian....remember reading a funny story about him attending family reuinions etc.

I remember playing against some asian kids as far back as the 80's....some of them were tough as too and some very very skillfull....none ever kicked on that I can recall though.

Size is a definite issue but it's great to see their love for the great game.

counterpuncher

Juniors
Played high school with a prop from a chinese background, he idolised bolo yeung and trevor gillmeister. He knew he wasn't the tallest bloke, but he bulked up into a real muscley, nuggety sort of frame.....add a lot of aggro and he was a nightmare for the opposition to tackle, real fui fui like.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Generally Kumuls are not that tall (but very square!) and don;t have problems playing the game. Touch footy is the key, get every kid playing touch footy at school, get the NRL to sponsor it and have all the balls etc branded with Rugby League so the kids know what they are playing, get the local RL clubs coaching and linking the kids into the full game if they are interested and you are bound to get some coming from from all ethnicities.

Latest posts