What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah a bigger gambling company called Ladbrokes already sponsor them
true, but they arent a new Qlnd company entering NRL sponsorship for first time because Dolphins have entered the comp. was the point I was making.
So why can't the Dolphins sign anyone of note? Is there no faith that the club can be successful in the short term? Or has the shine finally rubbed off Bennett as THE appealing coach to play under?
They would’ve had Mahoney if Brandon smith didn’t lie to them

plus should’ve been given longer to recruit

they are a good chance for Munster and Reece Walsh is still an option for 2024

So why can't the Dolphins sign anyone of note? Is there no faith that the club can be successful in the short term? Or has the shine finally rubbed off Bennett as THE appealing coach to play under?
Hopefully Dolphins get Herbie Farnsworth, David Mead, Corey Oates, Tyrone Roberts and Te Marie Martin.

Wb1234

Referee

In a stance that will ring alarm bells at the Titans, Bennett put out the welcome mat for the struggling Fifita, with the super coach confident he could reignite the back-row young gun he blooded at the Broncos in 2018.

Bennett also opened up on a number of topics, hitting back at Melbourne over the Cameron Munster saga, declaring he has no regrets over his “brutal” meeting with Kalyn Ponga and calling for the NRL grand final to remain in Sydney.

The Dolphins on Tuesday announced a mega five-year jersey sponsorship deal with wagering firm BlueBet - and Bennett is ready to take a gamble in a bid to secure a blue-chip recruit in misfiring Titan Fifita.

“He’s in that category of players we are looking for,” Bennett confirmed.

TITANIC RAID

Fifita is contracted to the Titans until the end of next season, but his future at Parkwood will become untenable if Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook cannot get the Queensland Origin hulk firing on a consistent basis.

News Corp understands Fifita has privately reached out to Bennett in recent weeks, seeking advice in a mentoring capacity on ways to recapture the form that saw him labelled the best young forward talent in the code at the Broncos in 2020.

The Titans’ highest-paid player, Fifita’s treatment by Holbrook has been shambolic. The 22-year-old will not see a long-term future at a club that has either played him out of position at centre, or axed him to the bench on numerous occasions.

Bennett handed Fifita his NRL debut in 2018 and revealed he wants him in Dolphins colours, saying he is prepared to wait until the new franchise’s second season in 2024 to reunite with the back-row strike weapon.

“It’s not my job to coach other players at other clubs, but I have a lot of respect for Dave,” said Bennett, who tried to sign Fifita to South Sydney last year.

“If he is on the market, yes, I would be interested in David Fifita.

“You can’t walk away from quality players, but he isn’t on the market just yet, so we will have to wait.

“I know what a wonderful player that he can be.”

Asked what advice he would give to Fifita if he was his coach now, a taciturn Bennett said with his trademark crooked grin: “I’m not coaching him, so I’m not giving him any advice.

“It’s just not happening for him right now. It’s up to him and his coach at the Titans to work it out.”

MUNSTER THREAT

Melbourne last week threatened to lodge a formal complaint to the NRL if Bennett persisted in a poaching attempt on their star pivot Cameron Munster, who is contracted until the end of 2023.

Bennett, who has a spicy history with Craig Bellamy’s Storm dating back to the grapple tackle drama in 2006, is refusing to back down.

News Corp can reveal Bennett has personally spoken with Munster, armed with a four-year, $4 million deal. The Maroons maestro is seriously considering a move to the Dolphins in 2024 and Bennett said he won’t be bullied by the Storm.

“We are quite comfortable with our position,” Bennett said.

“The NRL haven’t told us we have broken any rules, they are the governing body, so we will continue doing what we are doing.

“I’m not unconfident (of signing Munster), but we are still in the process of talking to Melbourne and finding out what his future is there.

“I just like what Munster brings. You can see what he brings every week in the NRL. He is a pretty consistent player.

“He would be a great fit for us, but I have to wait and see now. One thing about Cam is he’s the guy who is laughing, because he has plenty of offers and plenty of opportunity.

“I’m not surprised the Broncos are linked with him. We are all looking for quality players and if he is on the market, you want to be in for him. The Broncos are looking after their interests.

“I like Cameron’s character. It’s good to be around him.”

THE PONGA SHOWDOWN

Kalyn Ponga dropped a bombshell at the announcement of his $6 million, five-year Knights deal a fortnight ago. The Dolphins target took aim at Bennett, revealing how a “brutal” meeting with the super coach convinced him to stay loyal to Newcastle.

Bennett broke his silence on his candid discussions with the Queensland Origin fullback, saying his appraisal would have been “tough” for Ponga to accept.

Asked if regretted his honesty with Ponga, Bennett said: “No I don’t.

“I don’t disagree with anything he (Ponga) said.

“What I said was between me and him and I will leave it there, but it was a tough meeting for him though.”

SAVING MILFORD

Bennett was Anthony Milford’s coach when he went within a whisker of winning the Clive Churchill Medal in the 2015 grand final.

As Milford prepares to revive his NRL career with Newcastle after the turmoil of his off-field legal battle that kept him out of rugby league for six months and cost him $160,000, Bennett confirmed he wants the playmaker at the Dolphins next season.

“We are interested in Anthony Milford,” he said. “He has gone to Newcastle now and they will be keen to retain him, so that will be an issue for us.

“We got the best out of Anthony at the Broncos. Jason Demetriou (former Broncos assistant) was involved there with me and Steve Kearney also helped with Milford, he played some great footy for us.

“We all know what he brings but he needs a change of scenery. I feel for what he has gone through, it’s been over the top (his treatment by the NRL), but he has a dateline now where he can start playing and hopefully he can get on with his life.

NRL GRAND FINAL

There is not a prouder Queenslander than Bennett but the 72-year-old says the NRL grand final belongs south of the Tweed for life.

“I have always been a believer that the NRL grand final should stay in Sydney,” Bennett said.

“I love Suncorp and all that about Queensland, but I believe it should stay in Sydney.

“It’s the heartland of the game.

“Even when we were playing in Brisbane before the Broncos, Sydney was the grand final everyone looked forward to.

“They have made it a pretty special event down there, so it’s just the right thing to do for someone who has been in the game a long time.

“If you are a young kid growing up and you want to play in a grand final, you want to go to Sydney and be in that moment.

“Sydney is the right place for the NRL grand final.”

DUCK AND DIVE

Bennett challenged his NRL coaching contemporaries to eliminate diving - and milking penalties in a bid to win games - from the code.

“The game has to be stronger with diving in my opinion,” he said.

“The pressure is put back on the game but the coaches can be stronger, too, encouraging their players not to dive.

“The problem is not all coaches are on that page - then the game has to step in.

“It’s like the doctor in the bunker, the doctor is in the bunker because the game isn’t strong enough to stand up to teams themselves.

“If you don’t accept diving as a part of your DNA as a team, then there’s a pretty good chance your players won’t do it.”

OLD MAN DOLPHINS

Bennett’s inaugural Dolphins forward pack will be spearheaded by Jesse Bromwich, Mark Nicholls and Felise Kaufusi, who are in their 30s. But the game’s greatest coach rubbished suggestions he is recruiting a Dad’s Army outfit.

“There is criticism that we haven’t signed anyone, there is criticism about Dad’s Army and there will be criticism about something else in the future,” he said.

“My position on that is if you start listening to the fans, you will be sitting with them. I know what we are doing. We are confident in what we are doing and no-one will distract me personally from doing what I think is the best thing for the club.

“What’s hard about this job? I love what I do. What’s hard about getting up and talking to players every day? It’s not hard. The poor guys out there working in the sun with a pick and shovel, that’s hard.

“There are plenty of stories ahead for the Dolphins. The best is yet to come.”

Pippen94

First Grade

In a stance that will ring alarm bells at the Titans, Bennett put out the welcome mat for the struggling Fifita, with the super coach confident he could reignite the back-row young gun he blooded at the Broncos in 2018.

Bennett also opened up on a number of topics, hitting back at Melbourne over the Cameron Munster saga, declaring he has no regrets over his “brutal” meeting with Kalyn Ponga and calling for the NRL grand final to remain in Sydney.

The Dolphins on Tuesday announced a mega five-year jersey sponsorship deal with wagering firm BlueBet - and Bennett is ready to take a gamble in a bid to secure a blue-chip recruit in misfiring Titan Fifita.

TITANIC RAID

Fifita is contracted to the Titans until the end of next season, but his future at Parkwood will become untenable if Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook cannot get the Queensland Origin hulk firing on a consistent basis.

News Corp understands Fifita has privately reached out to Bennett in recent weeks, seeking advice in a mentoring capacity on ways to recapture the form that saw him labelled the best young forward talent in the code at the Broncos in 2020.

The Titans’ highest-paid player, Fifita’s treatment by Holbrook has been shambolic. The 22-year-old will not see a long-term future at a club that has either played him out of position at centre, or axed him to the bench on numerous occasions.

Bennett handed Fifita his NRL debut in 2018 and revealed he wants him in Dolphins colours, saying he is prepared to wait until the new franchise’s second season in 2024 to reunite with the back-row strike weapon.

“It’s not my job to coach other players at other clubs, but I have a lot of respect for Dave,” said Bennett, who tried to sign Fifita to South Sydney last year.

“You can’t walk away from quality players, but he isn’t on the market just yet, so we will have to wait.

Asked what advice he would give to Fifita if he was his coach now, a taciturn Bennett said with his trademark crooked grin: “I’m not coaching him, so I’m not giving him any advice.

“It’s just not happening for him right now. It’s up to him and his coach at the Titans to work it out.”

MUNSTER THREAT

Melbourne last week threatened to lodge a formal complaint to the NRL if Bennett persisted in a poaching attempt on their star pivot Cameron Munster, who is contracted until the end of 2023.

Bennett, who has a spicy history with Craig Bellamy’s Storm dating back to the grapple tackle drama in 2006, is refusing to back down.

News Corp can reveal Bennett has personally spoken with Munster, armed with a four-year, $4 million deal. The Maroons maestro is seriously considering a move to the Dolphins in 2024 and Bennett said he won’t be bullied by the Storm.

“The NRL haven’t told us we have broken any rules, they are the governing body, so we will continue doing what we are doing.

“I’m not unconfident (of signing Munster), but we are still in the process of talking to Melbourne and finding out what his future is there.

“I just like what Munster brings. You can see what he brings every week in the NRL. He is a pretty consistent player.

“He would be a great fit for us, but I have to wait and see now. One thing about Cam is he’s the guy who is laughing, because he has plenty of offers and plenty of opportunity.

“I’m not surprised the Broncos are linked with him. We are all looking for quality players and if he is on the market, you want to be in for him. The Broncos are looking after their interests.

THE PONGA SHOWDOWN

Kalyn Ponga dropped a bombshell at the announcement of his $6 million, five-year Knights deal a fortnight ago. The Dolphins target took aim at Bennett, revealing how a “brutal” meeting with the super coach convinced him to stay loyal to Newcastle.

Bennett broke his silence on his candid discussions with the Queensland Origin fullback, saying his appraisal would have been “tough” for Ponga to accept.

“What I said was between me and him and I will leave it there, but it was a tough meeting for him though.”

SAVING MILFORD

Bennett was Anthony Milford’s coach when he went within a whisker of winning the Clive Churchill Medal in the 2015 grand final.

As Milford prepares to revive his NRL career with Newcastle after the turmoil of his off-field legal battle that kept him out of rugby league for six months and cost him $160,000, Bennett confirmed he wants the playmaker at the Dolphins next season.

“We are interested in Anthony Milford,” he said. “He has gone to Newcastle now and they will be keen to retain him, so that will be an issue for us.

“We got the best out of Anthony at the Broncos. Jason Demetriou (former Broncos assistant) was involved there with me and Steve Kearney also helped with Milford, he played some great footy for us.

“We all know what he brings but he needs a change of scenery. I feel for what he has gone through, it’s been over the top (his treatment by the NRL), but he has a dateline now where he can start playing and hopefully he can get on with his life.

NRL GRAND FINAL

There is not a prouder Queenslander than Bennett but the 72-year-old says the NRL grand final belongs south of the Tweed for life.

“I have always been a believer that the NRL grand final should stay in Sydney,” Bennett said.

“I love Suncorp and all that about Queensland, but I believe it should stay in Sydney.

“Even when we were playing in Brisbane before the Broncos, Sydney was the grand final everyone looked forward to.

“They have made it a pretty special event down there, so it’s just the right thing to do for someone who has been in the game a long time.

“If you are a young kid growing up and you want to play in a grand final, you want to go to Sydney and be in that moment.

DUCK AND DIVE

Bennett challenged his NRL coaching contemporaries to eliminate diving - and milking penalties in a bid to win games - from the code.

“The pressure is put back on the game but the coaches can be stronger, too, encouraging their players not to dive.

“The problem is not all coaches are on that page - then the game has to step in.

“It’s like the doctor in the bunker, the doctor is in the bunker because the game isn’t strong enough to stand up to teams themselves.

“If you don’t accept diving as a part of your DNA as a team, then there’s a pretty good chance your players won’t do it.”

OLD MAN DOLPHINS

Bennett’s inaugural Dolphins forward pack will be spearheaded by Jesse Bromwich, Mark Nicholls and Felise Kaufusi, who are in their 30s. But the game’s greatest coach rubbished suggestions he is recruiting a Dad’s Army outfit.

“There is criticism that we haven’t signed anyone, there is criticism about Dad’s Army and there will be criticism about something else in the future,” he said.

“My position on that is if you start listening to the fans, you will be sitting with them. I know what we are doing. We are confident in what we are doing and no-one will distract me personally from doing what I think is the best thing for the club.

“What’s hard about this job? I love what I do. What’s hard about getting up and talking to players every day? It’s not hard. The poor guys out there working in the sun with a pick and shovel, that’s hard.

How many five eights do they need?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s a lot of talent available for 2024, unfortunately for the Dolphins they’ve got a season to play before then.

MugaB

Coach
It’s bennett

and they’ve already signed a decent forward pack

probably milf and O’Sullivan too.
Theyll need a good spine, otherwise the forward pack won't be effective, when they'll be defending constantly

Colk

First Grade
Theyll need a good spine, otherwise the forward pack won't be effective, when they'll be defending constantly

And a backline. The only back they have signed is Isaako and he is fairly average I must say (ok winger not a fullback)

Looks like their games will be a grind fest at this stage

mongoose

Coach

TITANIC RAID

MUNSTER THREAT

THE PONGA SHOWDOWN

SAVING MILFORD

NRL GRAND FINAL

DUCK AND DIVE

OLD MAN DOLPHINS

If the Dolphins can pinch Fafita it would be good, just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Sets up a rivalry with the Titans straight away.

mongoose

Coach
And a backline. The only back they have signed is Isaako and he is fairly average I must say (ok winger not a fullback)

Looks like their games will be a grind fest at this stage
They can take Croker and maybe Rapana after last weeks effort....

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
They may miss out on Munster now too as St Merge have now thrown their hat into the ring for him.

He's apparently uber tight with Dragons half Ben Hunt.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems they've learnt nothing.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo says he holds no concerns that the competition's 17th team, the Dolphins, will struggle to be competitive in their first year of existence.
The Wayne Bennett-coached side is due to enter the NRL in 2023, but 10 months out from their first game they have yet to land a big name recruit to act as the face of their franchise.
Unlike start-up franchises in rival codes, the NRL has not allowed the Dolphins dispensation to target contracted players.
One of the criticisms to the Dolphins' entry has been a lack of lead-in time.
The last new team in the NRL, the Gold Coast Titans, were handed their licence nearly two years out from their first game.
The Dolphins have been given an 18-month run to create a 30-man roster, but the state of the transfer market with only a few big names off contract has limited their ability to make a splash.
Abdo said the potential introduction of an 18th team to create an even draw would be given a similar timeframe.
"I think the timeline works," he said.

"We're a long way off from thinking about whether we should move to 18 teams.

Wb1234

Referee
Seems they've learnt nothing.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo says he holds no concerns that the competition's 17th team, the Dolphins, will struggle to be competitive in their first year of existence.
The Wayne Bennett-coached side is due to enter the NRL in 2023, but 10 months out from their first game they have yet to land a big name recruit to act as the face of their franchise.
Unlike start-up franchises in rival codes, the NRL has not allowed the Dolphins dispensation to target contracted players.
One of the criticisms to the Dolphins' entry has been a lack of lead-in time.
The last new team in the NRL, the Gold Coast Titans, were handed their licence nearly two years out from their first game.
The Dolphins have been given an 18-month run to create a 30-man roster, but the state of the transfer market with only a few big names off contract has limited their ability to make a splash.
Abdo said the potential introduction of an 18th team to create an even draw would be given a similar timeframe.
"I think the timeline works," he said.

"We're a long way off from thinking about whether we should move to 18 teams.

How you’ve managed to spin an 18th team into a negative is beyond me lol

so what if it’s rushed. Would you rather Greenberg etc who did nothing

Perth Red

Post Whore
How you’ve managed to spin an 18th team into a negative is beyond me lol

so what if it’s rushed. Would you rather Greenberg etc who did nothing
no, but Id rather it wasn't rushed either. its obvious given even an established club is struggling to put a roster together that ideally a two year min lead in time is preferable.

Wb1234

Referee
no, but Id rather it wasn't rushed either. its obvious given even an established club is struggling to put a roster together that ideally a two year min lead in time is preferable.
Sure but It sure looks like team 18 is pretty much a certainty

plus with Bennett coaching the dolphins I will be shocked if they are bottom 4. I’m not too fussed about them in the early years let them build up to success