What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

The Great Dane

First Grade
not budget Broncos - think Man United/Man City AC Milan/Inter Milan NY Giants/NY Jets

we don't want large corporate behemoth vs small suburban club rivalry

Anyway hopefully Dolphins don't become that. They have a great mascot, jersey colours have potential... I'm not a Dolphins doomer but definitely have some concerns....
Too late lol.

The Dolphins are to the Broncos what Wigan athletic or Bolton Wanderers are to Man U and City; a small suburban club from an outer enclave with no real appeal outside of said enclaves. Always were, always will be, and that's the way they like it, which is the real issue.

It's honestly embarrassing that people will defend it, and shows what a small time backwards sport this is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Too late lol.

The Dolphins are to the Broncos what Wigan athletic or Bolton Wanderers are to Man U and City; a small suburban club from an outer enclave with no real appeal outside of said enclaves. Always were, always will be, and that's the way they like it, which is the real issue.

It's honestly embarrassing that people will defend it, and shows what a small time backwards sport this is.
We have our first real indication that brisbane hasn’t jumped on the dolphins wagon yet.
we now know they haven’t been able to sell 12k full memberships.
they have priced them very well so I am surprised. I wonder what the marketing is like in Brisbane for them?

MugaB

Coach
We have our first real indication that brisbane hasn’t jumped on the dolphins wagon. we now know they haven’t been able to sell 12k full memberships.
None of that matters, haven't kicked a ball yet... cant be expected to outsell an untested product.. wait till they string a few wins together, or lose by a few howlers... its real indicative that even tho you seem to be a fan of expansion, you have no empathy past getting your precious perth.. that's not a positive outlook, and only breeds more distain, as you pointed out earlier successful expansion will lead to more expansion,
....high tides lift all boats, get on board, get positive, whaling down every aspect of everything to do with the new club, will only make you look for more glass half empty moments

The Great Dane

First Grade
Pretty much every NFL fan with an interest in the business side of the sport and a brain will openly say that it'd be better if somewhere else had got Jacksonville's license. Same goes for the Yotes in the NHL, and any true blooded Canadian would kill any of a handful of teams from the states to have the Nordiques back as well.

I don't know of a single SL fan that wouldn't swap Leigh for Toulouse if they had the chance, and the list of bad expansion decisions in Super Rugby is impressive and noncontroversial.

A huge portion of the AFL's fandom thinks that the Suns and GWS either shouldn't have got into the comp before Tas, or shouldn't exist at all. If we're honest a lot of NRL fans feel similarly about the Titans, or at least have felt similarly in the recent past.

Fans recognising poor or questionable business decisions for what they are isn't a bad thing, if anything the fact they're so critical shows that they really care and want to see the sport/league be as successful as possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
None of that matters, haven't kicked a ball yet... cant be expected to outsell an untested product.. wait till they string a few wins together, or lose by a few howlers... its real indicative that even tho you seem to be a fan of expansion, you have no empathy past getting your precious perth.. that's not a positive outlook, and only breeds more distain, as you pointed out earlier successful expansion will lead to more expansion,
....high tides lift all boats, get on board, get positive, whaling down every aspect of everything to do with the new club, will only make you look for more glass half empty moments
Brisbane isn’t expansion for me, it’s consolidation. I have no more interest in the dolphins doing well, beyond impact on future expansion, than I do the broncos doing well.
and I’ve not said they will never get fans, just the first indicator is t they haven’t started strongly. Which is disappointing considering for over a decade we’ve been hearing how desperate RL fans in Brisbane are for an alternative to the Broncos.
dockers started first year with 18,500 members and a crowd avg of 23.3k so yes you clearly can sell an untested product

and I’m not howling anything down, just pointing out a fact that is showing a possible issue. There has been much reservation about the choice of the dolphins and their branding and stadium model. Memberships and attendances will be a key indicator if those concerns were founded or pessimistic.

The Great Dane

First Grade
None of that matters, haven't kicked a ball yet... cant be expected to outsell an untested product..
In most other major sports leagues across the world they won't even give a license to a new team unless they can prove that they'll meet certain KPI's from the get go.

More often than not that would include presales of season tickets.

MugaB

Coach
Brisbane isn’t expansion for me, it’s consolidation. I have no more interest in the dolphins doing well, beyond impact on future expansion, than I do the broncos doing well.
and I’ve not said they will never get fans, just the first indicator is t they haven’t started strongly. Which is disappointing considering for over a decade we’ve been hearing how desperate RL fans in Brisbane are for an alternative to the Broncos.
dockers started first year with 18,500 members and a crowd avg of 23.3k so yes you clearly can sell an untested product

and I’m not howling anything down, just pointing out a fact that is showing a possible issue. There has been much reservation about the choice of the dolphins and their branding and stadium model. Memberships and attendances will be a key indicator if those concerns were founded or pessimistic.
Call it what you want, expansion is 16 +1

MugaB

Coach
In most other major sports leagues across the world they won't even give a license to a new team unless they can prove that they'll meet certain KPI's from the get go.

More often than not that would include presales of season tickets.
You know damn well, we aren't in the same context of other sports around the world, nor do we have the same population in comparison, this country, has way too many codes, and its population isn't able to afford multiple memberships to serve them all...
Its not an excuse, but NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB, none of them compare to NRL..they are all on a much higher planet... with populations that dwarf ours immensely.
i know you're all passionate, and think the league can do better, and its a great tv product, its a tough sport, but we as a sport are niche to the rest of the world

MugaB

Coach
That’s your definition, mines very different.
Mine is the only definition... expansion is adding to the existing competition, your hang up, is that its not in Perth, or its to far from this or that..it is irrelevant... another club in sydney is still expansion (not something i want, but its still expansion) you are talking about consolidating metros... dots on da map stuff

Perth Red

Post Whore
You know damn well, we aren't in the same context of other sports around the world, nor do we have the same population in comparison, this country, has way too many codes, and its population isn't able to afford multiple memberships to serve them all...
Its not an excuse, but NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB, none of them compare to NRL..they are all on a much higher planet... with populations that dwarf ours immensely.
i know you're all passionate, and think the league can do better, and its a great tv product, its a tough sport, but we as a sport are niche to the rest of the world
Probably more to do with competition than population. Holland is smaller population but has a 18k crowd avg for its main sport. Same with Ireland and it’s main sport With a 19k avg.
Where we differ is we have two main sports in a smaller population than most countries where there is competition. we also are really really poor at increasing attendances in nrl so I don’t think what we see on nrl avg is the real situation that it could be with more effort.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mine is the only definition... expansion is adding to the existing competition, your hang up, is that its not in Perth, or its to far from this or that..it is irrelevant... another club in sydney is still expansion (not something i want, but its still expansion) you are talking about consolidating metros... dots on da map stuff
Haha, I’d consider that growth. Expansion is new markets and new fans. Not just adding more to the already rugby league heartlands. But each to their own.

MugaB

Coach
Probably more to do with competition than population. Holland is smaller population but has a 18k crowd avg for its main sport. Same with Ireland and it’s main sport With a 19k avg.
Where we differ is we have two main sports in a smaller population than most countries where there is competition. we also are really really poor at increasing attendances in nrl so I don’t think what we see on nrl avg is the real situation that it could be with more effort.
Its the vast space of metros, plus various codes, its not a country with other neighbouring europing country's all playing soccer

MugaB

Coach
Half the comp is in one city! Away fans boost shouldn’t be a problem for Sydney lol
I didn't say clubs, i said metros, youre forgetting 9 different sydney fans aren't all going to the same game, only 2 will, the other 7 will watch on tv

So only broncos fans in immediate area around lang park go to games?!

Sunshine Coast is secondary. Dolphins Brisbane team first.

A person who live about 60 to 120 minutes away from Lang Park will struggle to attend games on a Thursday or Friday night. Especially if they work and have children.

Dolphins won't be getting a new stadium as theirs was recently upgraded, albeit into something unfit for NRL games.

MugaB

Coach
Yet you talked of them hopefully being a raging success?.. fmd selfish much?

Oh no.. the alts back

Pippen94

First Grade
Too late lol.

Where did Manchester united start?!

Pippen94

First Grade
A person who live about 60 to 120 minutes away from Lang Park will struggle to attend games on a Thursday or Friday night. Especially if they work and have children.

Dolphins won't be getting a new stadium as theirs was recently upgraded, albeit into something unfit for NRL games.

So basically ur in the same stadium with the same name appealing to the same surrounding areas. Seems like picking geographical difference was right call

Latest posts