What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Wb1234

Referee
You know damn well, we aren't in the same context of other sports around the world, nor do we have the same population in comparison, this country, has way too many codes, and its population isn't able to afford multiple memberships to serve them all...
Its not an excuse, but NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB, none of them compare to NRL..they are all on a much higher planet... with populations that dwarf ours immensely.
i know you're all passionate, and think the league can do better, and its a great tv product, its a tough sport, but we as a sport are niche to the rest of the world
You think he’s passionate ?

At best he’s jaded

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet you talked of them hopefully being a raging success?.. fmd selfish much?

Oh no.. the alts back
Lol, I want them To be a raging success as I want to see the game expand, but with proper expansion teams.
Selfish? yeh but why else would I give a sht if they do well or not anymore than any other nrl club I dont care about?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So basically ur in the same stadium with the same name appealing to the same surrounding areas. Seems like picking geographical difference was right call
It’s almost like the 2 Adelaide clubs and the 2 perth clubs in afl have failed going by that argument! Playing out of the same stadium isn’t a problem as long as each club has a point of difference. Brisbane Broncos, south brisbane firehawks or north brisbane dolphins would have done it If playing full time out of Suncorp as they should be Not in shtty sub 12k stadiums miles from the city.

the fact they can’t sell 12k full memberships is maybe telling us something?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If they concentrate on Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast then how will they fill Lang Park on a Thursday or Friday night?
They will fill it by beating the Roosters in their first Suncorp game and then continuing to win more than they lose. Then we will see 40 000+ when they play the Broncos, just like we see the same when the Broncos play the Cowboys at home, and I`d be pretty sure that crowd isn`t made up of too many away fans. Just Brisbanites looking forward to a good contest.

Wb1234

Referee
They will fill it by beating the Roosters in their first Suncorp game and then continuing to win more than they lose. Then we will see 40 000+ when they play the Broncos, just like we see the same when the Broncos play the Cowboys at home, and I`d be pretty sure that crowd isn`t made up of too many away fans. Just Brisbanites looking forward to a good contest.
If the dolphins get more Sunday arvo games then over a few years who knows. Maybe they can even get more than the broncos

either way the dolphins are going to make the broncos grow. They are lazy they need a challenge

What if they're unsuccessful?

The Great Dane

First Grade
You know damn well, we aren't in the same context of other sports around the world, nor do we have the same population in comparison, this country, has way too many codes, and its population isn't able to afford multiple memberships to serve them all...
Its not an excuse, but NFL, NBA, EPL, MLB, none of them compare to NRL..they are all on a much higher planet... with populations that dwarf ours immensely.
i know you're all passionate, and think the league can do better, and its a great tv product, its a tough sport, but we as a sport are niche to the rest of the world
Excuses.

Mate the NBL required X amount of expressions of interests in season tickets before they'd commit to Tasmania and South East Melbourne... The A-league used to do the same thing when they expanded back in the Lowey years, in fact a lot of their bid teams were encouraged to presell membership in full to clubs that never eventuated. The AFL did similar things back in the 80s and 90s on occasion as well.

Is that in enough of the Australian context for you?

Besides, the assertion that sport is a harder sell here than in a lot of larger countries and leagues around the world isn't necessarily true. I can assure you that buying season tickets to the major leagues in North America is a significantly bigger imposition than anything in Australia, and that buying season tickets is almost totally unattainable for the average person in the US and Canada.

The lowest average ticket price in the NFL for example is USD$244, or AUD$359.03, for a single ticket to a Detroit Lions game, so I'm sure you can imagine the cost of season tickets.

A lot of those markets are just as competitive as the Australian sports market in their own ways as well. We have nothing close to competition between professional sports in larger markets in US for example. Most of the competition within the Sydney and Melbourne markets (i.e. the most competitive in Australia) is internal competition, i.e. AFL/NRL clubs in competition with other AFL/NRL clubs for eyeballs, where as in America the competition is much more external between sports.

The Great Dane

First Grade
What if they're unsuccessful?
And what percentage of that crowd will be Broncos fans?

Last year the Broncos average attendance was 29,594 and their largest home crowd was 42,612 against the Storm.

For sake of argument lets assume that their games against the Dolphins are similarly big games as their matches against the Storm and Cowboys are, that is the hope anyway. Considering all the above 40k plus wouldn't really be that impressive for what is meant to be a local derby between what should have been the two biggest clubs in the league.

You'd want to be selling out Suncorp, or at least coming very close to it, if the second Brisbane team and derby is to live up to it's potential, and I imagine that that's exactly what will happen initially while the novelty effect still holds sway. In the longer term though, well the Dolphins have placed themselves into the position of having to bank on success to really push interest, so it'll really depend on how they've been going, which is a massive balls up considering the potential that was there in Brisbane.

And what percentage of that crowd will be Broncos fans?

Last year the Broncos average attendance was 29,594 and their largest home crowd was 42,612 against the Storm.

For sake of argument lets assume that their games against the Dolphins are similarly big games as their matches against the Storm and Cowboys are, that is the hope anyway. Considering all the above 40k plus wouldn't really be that impressive for what is meant to be a local derby between what should have been the two biggest clubs in the league.

You'd want to be selling out Suncorp, or at least coming very close to it, if the second Brisbane team and derby is to live up to it's potential, and I imagine that that's exactly what will happen initially while the novelty effect still holds sway. In the longer term though, well the Dolphins have placed themselves into the position of having to bank on success to really push interest, so it'll really depend on how they've been going, which is a massive balls up considering the potential that was there in Brisbane.
I cannot see the Dolphins drawing big crowds under their current guise. They've done everything they could to alienate Redcliffe fans while not doing enough to develop citywide support.

Pippen94

First Grade
Excuses.

Mate the NBL required X amount of expressions of interests in season tickets before they'd commit to Tasmania and South East Melbourne... The A-league used to do the same thing when they expanded back in the Lowey years, in fact a lot of their bid teams were encouraged to presell membership in full to clubs that never eventuated. The AFL did similar things back in the 80s and 90s on occasion as well.

Is that in enough of the Australian context for you?

Besides, the assertion that sport is a harder sell here than in a lot of larger countries and leagues around the world isn't necessarily true. I can assure you that buying season tickets to the major leagues in North America is a significantly bigger imposition than anything in Australia, and that buying season tickets is almost totally unattainable for the average person in the US and Canada.

The lowest average ticket price in the NFL for example is USD$244, or AUD$359.03, for a single ticket to a Detroit Lions game, so I'm sure you can imagine the cost of season tickets.

A lot of those markets are just as competitive as the Australian sports market in their own ways as well. We have nothing close to competition between professional sports in larger markets in US for example. Most of the competition within the Sydney and Melbourne markets (i.e. the most competitive in Australia) is internal competition, i.e. AFL/NRL clubs in competition with other AFL/NRL clubs for eyeballs, where as in America the competition is much more external between sports.

Texas has population of 30 million but only 2 NFL & mlb teams, 3 NBA teams & a single ice hockey club. You don't know what ur talking about

Perth Red

Post Whore
OK Peter Fitzslimmons. Calling team Fremantle clearly to appeal to all of Perth
They weren’t set up to appeal to all of perth, they were set up to target south of river.
But that’s irrelevant, you suggested the dolphins were following the same model as fremantle,when very clearly they are not.
If they were they’d be a new club entirely not called the dolphins, be playing all games at Suncorp and marketing themselves heavily to the northern area of brisbane. That’s how the dockers were set up.

Pippen94

First Grade
They weren’t set up to appeal to all of perth, they were set up to target south of river.
But that’s irrelevant, you suggested the dolphins were following the same model as fremantle,when very clearly they are not.
If they were they’d be a new club entirely not called the dolphins, be playing all games at Suncorp and marketing themselves heavily to the northern area of brisbane. That’s how the dockers were set up.

No, Fremantle kept geographically specific name. If dolphins kept redcliffe you'd be using that as negative.

Fremantle was merger between two football clubs in area. Dolphins only pro club in area. Both entities playing at city's biggest & central stadium outside of area they look to target. Dolphins have option of having some games north & let's face it Morton bay is 10 times bigger than Fremantle..

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, Fremantle kept geographically specific name. If dolphins kept redcliffe you'd be using that as negative.

Fremantle was merger between two football clubs in area. Dolphins only pro club in area. Both entities playing at city's biggest & central stadium outside of area they look to target. Dolphins have option of having some games north & let's face it Morton bay is 10 times bigger than Fremantle..
Nope.

Fremantle Dockers were a new club set up and had no ownership from the WAFL Fremantle clubs
They play all of their games out of the main centralised stadium in Perth
They chose a geographically specific name

All of that is different from the Dolphins. The two models are nothing alike!

Pippen94

First Grade
Nope.

Fremantle Dockers were a new club set up and had no ownership from the WAFL Fremantle clubs
They play all of their games out of the main centralised stadium in Perth
They chose a geographically specific name

All of that is different from the Dolphins. The two models are nothing alike!

Dolphins play out of central stadium.
Dolphins point of difference geography.