What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

shewi6

Juniors
Don't you remember? About 20 years ago they held that parade for that guy who successfully managed to convince someone else on the internet to agree with him. That was the last time.
Ah nah they never told me about that in history class at school. Weird really considering it must have been such a momentous occasion 🙃

shewi6

Juniors
Bledisloe Cup game at Perth Stadium drew a bigger crowd than the State of Origin match. It hasn't translated into huge attendances for the Western Force.
And this game u keep harking on about because it got a slightly bigger crowd, u do realise they put in the extra 5k seats along the boundary for the first and only time to try it out?

So actually the rugby league game drew a higher percentage of capacity than you're beloved bledislow.

It is 'ur'
Get it right.
You were calling me dumb for refusing to blindly follow your baseless opinion.

The irony is you do not know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There's no evidence to support your claims about Perth. There's a difference between being positive and delusional. You're just as delusional as he soccer and fumbleball fans who think their sports are superior and will conquer all of Australia.

Vlad59

Juniors
You were calling me dumb for refusing to blindly follow your baseless opinion.

The irony is you do not know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There's no evidence to support your claims about Perth. There's a difference between being positive and delusional. You're just as delusional as he soccer and fumbleball fans who think their sports are superior and will conquer all of Australia.
ur a potato

And this game u keep harking on about because it got a slightly bigger crowd, u do realise they put in the extra 5k seats along the boundary for the first and only time to try it out?

So actually the rugby league game drew a higher percentage of capacity than you're beloved bledislow.
What is it with illiterate people supporting unwanted teams in poor markets?

You used "you're" when you should have said "your".

I don't give a f**k about rugby union. My point is it's dumb to argue that 59k for State or Origin means 20k will follow a Perth-based NRL team. The 60k at Perth Stadium for Bledisloe Cup didn't translate into 20k for the Western Force.

Yet it will for a Perth-based NRL team?

shewi6

Juniors
What is it with illiterate people supporting unwanted teams in poor markets?

You used "you're" when you should have said "your".

I don't give a f**k about rugby union. My point is it's dumb to argue that 59k for State or Origin means 20k will follow a Perth-based NRL team. The 60k at Perth Stadium for Bledisloe Cup didn't translate into 20k for the Western Force.

Yet it will for a Perth-based NRL team?
Yeh nah mate lol

Of course I didn't deliberately youse the wrong spelling because I no it grinz yore geers...

So who the f**k attends a state of origin game then? Rugby league fans is who. The same that have consistently turned out for non-pinnacle, run of the mill, absoloute dog shit games that would have drawn less than 10k if they had been played in sydney.

Not to mention the 83 odd thousand (i don't want to misrepresent the numbers in case it was 82k, just going off memory) between 2 double headers.
That is the evidence of the support for the sport in perth.

Yes I will concede the average fta ratings are not good at the moment. Even though most would watch on fox outside of nsw/qld becauseof the history of channel 9 shithousery, I don't know if that data exists or how much it is.
We do know what the ceiling is right now by looking at the ratings for gf and soo which from memory is 100k+. (I know, I know, pinnacle games) There is room for growth and new viewers, a fact that will make sponsorships/broadcast revenue more valuable across the nrl.
Pretty good considering u say even the all conquering afl averages 80k for the local teams.

Anyway nothing both us say on an anonymous forum matters or will have any sway with what the nrl decides to do.
It is the bid team and wa government that has to convince the nrl that a team will be viable and valuable to the competition.
If they manage to do that and the nrl gives them a license then who am i to doubt it and be so pessimistic as to almost hope it fails like you seem to want.

Thats really the last I want to say on the matter now until we here anymore on expansion from the nrl.

Vlad59

Juniors
Yeh nah mate lol

Of course I didn't deliberately youse the wrong spelling because I no it grinz yore geers...

So who the f**k attends a state of origin game then? Rugby league fans is who. The same that have consistently turned out for non-pinnacle, run of the mill, absoloute dog shit games that would have drawn less than 10k if they had been played in sydney.

Not to mention the 83 odd thousand (i don't want to misrepresent the numbers in case it was 82k, just going off memory) between 2 double headers.

Yes I will concede the average fta ratings are not good at the moment. Even though most would watch on fox outside of nsw/qld becauseof the history of channel 9 shithousery, I don't know if that data exists or how much it is.
We do know what the ceiling is right now by looking at the ratings for gf and soo which from memory is 100k+. (I know, I know, pinnacle games) There is room for growth and new viewers, a fact that will make sponsorships/broadcast revenue more valuable across the nrl.
Pretty good considering u say even the all conquering afl averages 80k for the local teams.

Anyway nothing both us say on an anonymous forum matters or will have any sway with what the nrl decides to do.
It is the bid team and wa government that has to convince the nrl that a team will be viable and valuable to the competition.
If they manage to do that and the nrl gives them a license then who am i to doubt it and be so pessimistic as to almost hope it fails like you seem to want.

Thats really the last I want to say on the matter now until we here anymore on expansion from the nrl.
Great post. The donk, Lamback and WB clearly hate the concept of a Perth club and write it off every chance they get. It’s an obsession of theirs.

Yeh nah mate lol

More bullshit.

Foxtel provided a metropolitan breakdown of their ratings in 2017.

Guess how many RL fans from Perth were watching on Foxtel?

5k!

Between Foxtel and Ch9 there's just 13k people in Perth regularly watching NRL games on TV.

Yet a Perth-based team is going to have 20k showing up to every game?

Delusional. Absolutely f**king delusional.

Why would Ch9 want a Perth-based team?

The Thursday and Friday night games begin at 6pm AWST. Good luck getting 20k into PRS at 6pm on a Thursday or Friday night. Most TV viewers will be watching the 6pm news.

If Perth hosts the Sunday Ch9 game at 4pm AEST then its value to Foxtel drops.

You don't know what you're talking about. The fact there's a simpleton like Vlad59 promoting it should tell you it's a dumb idea.

73,811 people attended an NFL game in Sydney 25 years ago. Only an idiot would use it to advocate for Sydney to have an NFL team.

Last edited:

shewi6

Juniors
Great post. The donk, Lamback and WB clearly hate the concept of a Perth club and write it off every chance they get. It’s an obsession of theirs.
I mean I'm a souths fan born and raised in rural north west qld, so a perth team isn't my biggest concern in life yet I am a big supporter of them getting a team back.

I was a broncos fan growing up as I was in nappies when the super league war began and as learned about it and the broncos role in it i became disillusioned with them and how they nearly killed the game i love and killed off a lot of clubs that didn't deserve to die and some were saved that didn't deserve to live (like the sharks, sorry lol).

Around this time I also learned about WA's history with the game and how they really were the only place outside the heartlands that played the game and at a significant scale.

I think a perth club should get back in the nrl not only to right the wrongs of the past but because they have proven they support the game. If that makes me a delusional fan boy than so be it.

Even the bears deserve a chance to come back, obviously they can't be in nsw, but maybe they could make it work in Perth. (My preference would be to resurrect the reds)
It needs to be the perth bears 100% tho, 12 home games there minimum. No nrl games at an antiquated cricket ground (a trial is fine) and they really should work with manly to take a game to the sfs and make it a big event that eventually will be as big as a bunnies-roosters or parra-dogs game.

Add in at least 2 away games at the sfs and games at venuesnsw controlled stadiums and you could sell a 6 game membership to sydney based fans that should be enough to engage and satisfy the sydney part of the team.

Vlad59

Juniors
I mean I'm a souths fan born and raised in rural north west qld, so a perth team isn't my biggest concern in life yet I am a big supporter of them getting a team back.

I was a broncos fan growing up as I was in nappies when the super league war began and as learned about it and the broncos role in it i became disillusioned with them and how they nearly killed the game i love and killed off a lot of clubs that didn't deserve to die and some were saved that didn't deserve to live (like the sharks, sorry lol).

Around this time I also learned about WA's history with the game and how they really were the only place outside the heartlands that played the game and at a significant scale.

I think a perth club should get back in the nrl not only to right the wrongs of the past but because they have proven they support the game. If that makes me a delusional fan boy than so be it.

Even the bears deserve a chance to come back, obviously they can't be in nsw, but maybe they could make it work in Perth. (My preference would be to resurrect the reds)
It needs to be the perth bears 100% tho, 12 home games there minimum. No nrl games at an antiquated cricket ground (a trial is fine) and they really should work with manly to take a game to the sfs and make it a big event that eventually will be as big as a bunnies-roosters or parra-dogs game.

Add in at least 2 away games at the sfs and games at venuesnsw controlled stadiums and you could sell a 6 game membership to sydney based fans that should be enough to engage and satisfy the sydney part of the team.
That’s the way I see it. I’m from Tassie mate. I’ve got no vested interest in any outcome. But I’ve followed the game for well over 50 years and have been constantly annoyed by the limited vision of its leaders. With Vlandys we have a very good leader who wants our game to be number one across the South Pacific. I like that. And you are right about the game in WA. It’s always been a bugbear of mine how we’ve let that market slide. The place deserves a club. And it should be a genuine WA club and not some hybrid version to appease a pack of Sydney centrics with no vision for the game. Anyway. Back to the peanut gallery of Perth haters who dominate every expansion thread with utter nonsense. Keep well mate.

shewi6

Juniors
More bullshit.

Foxtel provided a metropolitan breakdown of their ratings in 2017.

Guess how many RL fans from Perth were watching on Foxtel?

5k!

Between Foxtel and Ch9 there's just 13k people in Perth regularly watching NRL games on TV.

Yet a Perth-based team is going to have 20k showing up to every game?

Delusional. Absolutely f**king delusional.

Why would Ch9 want a Perth-based team?

The Thursday and Friday night games begin at 6pm AWST. Good luck getting 20k into PRS at 6pm on a Thursday or Friday night. Most TV viewers will be watching the 6pm news.

If Perth hosts the Sunday Ch9 game at 4pm AEST then its value to Foxtel drops.

You don't know what you're talking about. The fact there's a simpleton like Vlad59 promoting it should tell you it's a dumb idea.
Whatever mate, ur so emotional. Dare i say triggered...

We will see what sort of crowd they get at friday 6pm in about 1 and a half months time, hint it's close to half sold already.

The whole point of a perth team in a different timezone is to not just play in the same aest timeslots we have now, but to open up new timeslots like saturday night in perth or sunday afternoon in perth. We will need a new slot for a 9th game anyway because thats what the broadcasters want, games that dont overlap.

I'm sure fox would love a super super saturday and a super sunday up to 12 times a year. Most of the value in this round of expansion is the creation of a 9th game so perth ratings are not the be all and all of their viability.
Like i said they can only grow from here with more exposure and a local team.

Kind of like how melbourne grew from literally nothing in the most hostile environment and is now a strong sustainable club, it can be done.
It will be much easier this time with all the money in the game in general unlike the 90's as perth has history in the game and of supporting it.
The government and the investors of the consortium will give all it takes to be successful, there is no 3rd chance.

Whatever mate, ur so emotional. Dare i say triggered...

We will see what sort of crowd they get at friday 6pm in about 1 and a half months time, hint it's close to half sold already.

The whole point of a perth team in a different timezone is to not just play in the same aest timeslots we have now, but to open up new timeslots like saturday night in perth or sunday afternoon in perth. We will need a new slot for a 9th game anyway because thats what the broadcasters want, games that dont overlap.

I'm sure fox would love a super super saturday and a super sunday up to 12 times a year. Most of the value in this round of expansion is the creation of a 9th game so perth ratings are not the be all and all of their viability.
Like i said they can only grow from here with more exposure and a local team.

Kind of like how melbourne grew from literally nothing in the most hostile environment and is now a strong sustainable club, it can be done.
It will be much easier this time with all the money in the game in general unlike the 90's as perth has history in the game and of supporting it.
The government and the investors of the consortium will give all it takes to be successful, there is no 3rd chance.

You still don't get it.

The antisiphoning laws only protect three games per round from being shown exclusively on pay TV. Ch9 have not shown any interest in purchasing the rights to a fourth game from round 1 to 27. They only cover a fourth game during the last five or so rounds. It's not a high rating time slot.

6pm Sun AEST is useless to Ch9 because it competes with the news.

The only timeslot that Ch9 would fork out money on for a fourth game is Monday night. The question is how much money Foxtel take off the table to share the game with Ch9.

A 9.30pm AEST Fri/Sat game would not rate well. A little under 20 years ago we had a delayed 9.30pm Fri AEST game on Ch9. It did not rate well and was axed.

Melbourne Storm needed $100m over 20 years to survive. They also had the luxury of acquiring a strong roster from two clubs that were shut down at the end of 1997. The club cheated the cap and spent more than every other club, bar the Broncos, to become successful enough on the field to generate a niche following in a hostile fumbleball market. It helps that their owners were rich and held a 50% stake in the NRL. Perth won't have any of these luxuries.

Yet people think Perth will be a carbon copy of the Storm?

Delusional.

Last edited: