What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done Warren Ryan

elbusto

Coach
It makes you a dreamer living in Gouldland, just down the road from Neverland. Unfortunately for the NRL and David Gallop reality is in a whole other plane of existence where theorycrafting is a luxury they don't have.
Gallop and the NRL actually do have to 'theory craft' - that is their job - when handing down this sanction they should have come up with a plan that would have allowed this season more cedibility.

What they have done instead is made this a season long sore which may bleed the game dry.

I agree with all sanctions except the 2010 one.

By the way I just saw possibly the best try scored by the Raiders just then - what a ripper!

mickdo

Coach
Firstly, the players are still getting paid, probably the least that any of them get per game is $5000 - isn't that worth playing for?

Secondly, some of them are playing for representative careers this season.

Finally, they are all playing for their futures.

Nothing to play for? I played as an amateur, and we trained, and played, hard. Professionals in other professions work hard. Why shouldn't the Storm players earn their keep?

Well said, absolutely spot on. If 2 points each week was ALL that the Storm players ever had to play for, they won't mind handing back all their salaries this year, right Warren? I won't hold my breath.

ozjet1

They punished the club mate. Not just the players, not just the management but the club as a whole. The players are employees/contractors of the Melbourne Storm organisation in which player recruitment was run in an illegal manner.

Managment are responsible for running the club to the rules and in a manner which generates revenue in to the club. They are not there to administer two sets of books and run the club in a way which gives it in unfair advantage in an illegal way.

It's unfortunate but that's life. The players must have faith in the management being able to run the club like the management must have faith in the players to produce on the field. It's not an "us vs them" thing.

yep. it's no different to any executive/oraganisation relationship. the decisions of the board collectively - or the decisions of an individual or handful of directors and executives - binds the organisation to it.

an organisation doesnt operate on its own. there is no mythical force making decisions. a club doesnt make the correct decision simply because it is called Manly, has a sea eagle as a mascot, and the colours of maroon and white - an example. every company, and every sporting club has a mind and will, and these are the directors and employees who have the power to make decisions to direct the course of the organisation. And as a normal company which lives and dies by the decisions of its managment, so does a sports club.

ozjet1

and further to this.

there seem to be people deriding the NRLs decision based on the effect it will have on a developing market. what if it were a sydney team?

teams may have different importance to another in terms of the position of the game, but no team has more important to another in terms of the administration of the competition.

the NRL stood up and proved that its competition has integrity. if fans want something else, go follow the AFL.

fightingirish69

Juniors
More excuse making for the Storm. The poor club was just minding its own business and tripped over and found themselves over the cap. That mean NRL and their nasty rules. Maybe the Storm should be allowed 14 players on the field next year too?

still upset over last years grand final i see:D

Loudstrat

Coach
The bits I saw/heard from Wok and Gus disgusted me. Suddenly Gallop is the wrongdoer.

SOME people in this game are dead set morons.

Warren Ryan is one of the most insightful of the country's sporting commentators.

However, he lost me when he went on and on about how the players have got nothing to play for.

Firstly, the players are still getting paid, probably the least that any of them get per game is $5000 - isn't that worth playing for?

Secondly, some of them are playing for representative careers this season.

Finally, they are all playing for their futures.

Nothing to play for? I played as an amateur, and we trained, and played, hard. Professionals in other professions work hard. Why shouldn't the Storm players earn their keep?

Add pride to that.

dubopov

Coach
yup

they've tried to turn it around and make the Storm look like the good guys

players would certainly know how much most of their mates were getting under the table .. most would have been in the pub (or wherever) gloating and playing 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' .. i hate them more than ever .. they should have been booted .. completely ..

Vicious

Bench
Thats not the argument I was refering to as moronic.

If you can show me a way where the Storm can get under the salary cap without making special rules for them I am all for it

You can`t be serious, i`ve never heard so much crap come out of someones mouth.
As a fellow Tigers supporter, why would you want to win this years premiership without the reigning premiers being included ??? To be the best you need to beat the best, not everyone else minus the best, this years premiership now means nothing to who ever wins as Joey Johns eluded to on todays Footy Show.
As someone previously posted in this thread, for the good of the game we need big TV deals which will allow EVERY club more money to spend and therefore keep the worlds best athletes playing rugby league. For this to happen we need a national competition and a strong team in Melbourne is a very large part of that.
Anyone who thinks the punishment handed out is fair obviously doesn`t care about the game of rugby league !!!

gronkathon

First Grade
Show me how they can be bought back within the rules without making special dispensation for it? Why should a team almost 20% over the cap be allowed a chance to carry on and compete for a premiership?

Do you think fans felt their premiership was worthless when the Dogs were removed?

If handled properly this scandal could be huge for making inroads into Victoria.

Does Johns believe his premiership during Super League meant nothing? No.

As a fellow Tigers supporter, why would you want to win this years premiership without the reigning premiers being included ??? To be the best you need to beat the best, not everyone else minus the best, this years premiership now means nothing to who ever wins as Joey Johns eluded to on todays Footy Show.
As someone previously posted in this thread, for the good of the game we need big TV deals which will allow EVERY club more money to spend and therefore keep the worlds best athletes playing rugby league. For this to happen we need a national competition and a strong team in Melbourne is a very large part of that.
Anyone who thinks the punishment handed out is fair obviously doesn`t care about the game of rugby league !!!

Great post. Far too intelligent for this place.

Kornstar

Coach

Wow......so they cheat to make themselves better than everyone else and you find this acceptable???

The team who wins this premiership can know they won because the team who had an unfair advantage was not there to take it off them!!!!

elbusto

Coach
Well said - you nailed it mate!

Dragon

Coach
I love how everyone thinks the next TV deal is the silver bullet to all the games problems. Just be happy with what you have. Increase the cap and all you are gonna get is higher paid players, ESL will increase its payments in line with it, and deadsh*ts will still be saying 'why aren't NRL players paid the same as NFL players???'

Wok is a f**king moron, same as Gould

elbusto

Coach
I love how everyone thinks the next TV deal is the silver bullet to all the games problems. Just be happy with what you have. Increase the cap and all you are gonna get is higher paid players, ESL will increase its payments in line with it, and deadsh*ts will still be saying 'why aren't NRL players paid the same as NFL players???'

Wok is a f**king moron, same as Gould
Well applying your logic the game should go amateur.