What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welsh players in Super League

carlnz

Bench
Hey Guys,

Firstly after 3 or 4 years absence NZ finally got the Super League back on tv. Though we only get two games a week its very enjoyable to watch.

Just wondering who are the welsh players that are currently playing in SL and what teams they play for? And who are the players that were born in Wales.

JasonE

Bench
There's not so many in SL mate but there is quite a few in the National Leagues, Gareth Pryce, Gareth Dean, Aled James and Peter Moore to name a few.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
I think Ian Watson (Swinton?) is Welsh as well, Damien Gibson (Halifax) has played fullback for Wales.
In SL, players such as Cunningham (St Helens), Briers (Warrington) and O Hare (Huddersfield) are Welsh. But it's open to interpretation, I mean a few seasons ago Castleford's very own Mark Lennon (now playing reserves at Manly) played for Wales!

carlnz

Bench
are their many Welsh born players in the SUper League Junior system? seeing they have good age group players?

carlnz

Bench
nospam49™ said:
He is English but the good old Grandparent rule kicks in for him, Briers and Cunningahm as well as 99% of "Welsh" player in the game.

:sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper:

In-goal

Bench
Hey LF the only thing you own is NFI whatsoever when it comes to 13 a side rugby you no nothing dim wit.

p.s. If I ever meet you i will ****, oh and don't worry defence will be useless

*edit - let's please keep disputes to a battle of wits, not virtual threats ;-) *

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
St Helens have a scholarship programme going with one of the Welsh clubs, though I forget which. We recently signed something like 3 Welsh juniors to the scholarship and one of them, a hooker, ended up signing full time for Saints.

I will look into it and find more details.

bartman

Immortal
carlnz said:
Though we only get two games a week its very enjoyable to watch.[/color]

There are only two games televised over here each week anyway, just highlights from the rest.

Celtic Crusaders starting in NL2 next season will be a vital bridge for junior/amateur Welsh players, meaning many can try their hand at the next logical (professional) level without needing to re-locate etc. Will be great for development in coming years.

In-goal said:
Hey LF the only thing you own is NFI whatsoever when it comes to 13 a side rugby you no nothing dim wit.

p.s. If I ever meet you i will ****, oh and don't worry defence will be useless

*edit - let's please keep disputes to a battle of wits, not virtual threats ;-) *

If only he threatened to make a sentance that actually makes sense!b :lol:

* edit - we can probably do without stoking the fires or claiming personal victories here as well ;-) *

Latest posts