What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wendall is a tosser

saddog

Juniors
I can't believe the fact he has a rugby column when he can barely play the game, but the shit he writes is amazing. Always making league/Union comparisions, as guess who always comes out on top. That shit yesterday about the best players nearly made me puke.
Piss off wendall, nobody cares!!

thickos

First Grade
I think he was rambling on about the best players from each code and doing some mind-dumbing 'apples and oranges' comparison.

He's just probably dirty he will be spending the rest of his winter in front of 200 people at a club game... not enough of the spotlight for 'the dell' to maintain his ego!

I saw pretty quickly that it was another one of those "Union is terribly boring so I'll have to talk about League" articles.

So I didn't bother reading after the first paragraph.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What was so bad about the article? He nominated 10 players from both codes who he thought were the best players he'd seen and said why. He picked several players from each code qand described why he thought they were good, and didn't go out of his way to make it a League vs Union thing in my opinion. You lot really come across as a bunch of bitter sooks at times the way you whinge every time a Wallaby writes an article. (and no, I'm not a fan of Wendell or the Wallabies)

Space Monkey.

Tell me a League writer who spends most of their time talking about another code?

The answer is that there isn't one.

The point is that Wendell, Jeff Wells and a few lesser known nonces like Patrick Fitzgerald don't spend their time writing about the sport they claim to love, they're too busy either bagging League or doing nonsense comparisons.

No Wallaby player could change to League and walk straight into either SOO team. They couldn't walk into an NRL side either. 3 League players walked into the state and Australian Union teams. Shit, Wendell himself was a basket case for more than a year, they blooded him into Union through the Queensland S12 side for God's sake.

Can anyone see that happening with a Union player who changed to League?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Space Monkey.

Tell me a League writer who spends most of their time talking about another code?

The answer is that there isn't one.

The point is that Wendell, Jeff Wells and a few lesser known nonces like Patrick Fitzgerald don't spend their time writing about the sport they claim to love, they're too busy either bagging League or doing nonsense comparisons.

No Wallaby player could change to League and walk straight into either SOO team. They couldn't walk into an NRL side either. 3 League players walked into the state and Australian Union teams. sh*t, Wendell himself was a basket case for more than a year, they blooded him into Union through the Queensland S12 side for God's sake.

Can anyone see that happening with a Union player who changed to League?
Fair points, but none of this makes Wendall a wanker. He came from League, so naturally he's giong to make comparisons. If the NRL pinched one of the Wallabies and he started writing columns I'd expect them to be full of (probably unflattering) comparisons. Wendall's column was fair enough, I actually enjoyed it (although some of his past columns have been crap).
What is a joke is the way that the ARU gave Wendall the red carpet ride into the Wallabies. However that's not a reason to criticise Wendall, it's a reason to criticise the ARU for their pathetic "must poach league players instead of developing our own" mindset. Luckily League doesn't seem too interested in following suit.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Can't find the article but from memory Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Tana Umaga, Carlos Spencer, Toutai Kefu and Brian O'Driscoll were in the list. Apart from Kefu (who's way over the hill) I thought it was fair enough.

Snoop

Coach
I though the article was interesting too. Carlos Spencer IS the AJ of Union and O'Driscoll IS the player Ireland basis it's whole game around. Some of the article was so well thought out that I wondered if Dell had actually written it.

As for union players switching to league, Mortlock would be a gun centre and I reckon a few clubs wouldn't mind having Rathbone at the end of their backline. I reckon Larkham could have made it in league and Giteau and Gerrard would make the switch no trouble too. Oh and absolutly any club would have Lote back, he would walk straight into the SoO side and play for Australia as well.

You don't have to knock it just because it is Union.

Got a laugh out of David Morrow’s comment on ABC Radio a week or so back when he noted that all three of the Canetoad wingers defection club have newspaper columns.

Wendell always writes how good a player Matt Rogers is, Rogers writes in praise of Lote and he in turn lays on how good a Rah Rah “Big Dell” has become. That way they always get a rap when they read the paper come Sunday.

DIEHARD

----
Any one see that Bundy ad were a reporter is asking Wendall questions. One of which states that Union is a harder game and league is simple.

I'm fuming Bundy would take a shot at RL.

Special K

Coach
Larkham wouldn't make it in league. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent because he does he just doesn't have the right talent for rugby league. Plus he gets hurt a f**king lot.

Snoop

Coach
Hulka said:
Larkham wouldn't make it in league. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent because he does he just doesn't have the right talent for rugby league. Plus he gets hurt a f**king lot.
I don't know if he would have been a superstar but the guys got skills. Perhaps not a 5/8, maybe back at fullback. I reckon he is a poor mans Lockyer, but that is still pretty good.

But point still stands that most of the Wallaby backline and backline bench players would make it in League, some doing VERY well.