What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wendell Sailor on his Future

THERE has been speculation about my future in recent weeks, so I want to set the record straight on where I stand with Wayne Bennett and the Dragons.

I want to play on next year.

I've never forgotten a comment Shane Webcke made when he announced his retirement in 2006. He said you get that gut feeling, that you just know in your heart that it's time to go.

I don't feel that way. To be honest, I don't think I've ever enjoyed my football like I have at the moment. It's not just because we're winning games, it's the community support I've got and the mateship of the guys at the Dragons driving me to soldier on.

Last week, I started discussions with Dragons CEO Peter Doust and Wayne about which way we want to go. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will have something sorted out and I'll be in the red-V jumper in 2010.

We'll be honest with each other over the next few weeks, but Wayne knows I am keen to play on. I'm under no illusions about Wayne's feelings. What he said the other week, about the danger of me playing one year too long, didn't surprise me because he's said that to me privately before.

I know there is that danger that at my age - I turned 35 the other day - that you can go a year too long, but I can tell you now Wayne would have no problems with me going on next year.

Last year, when I came back, I was pretty much a week-to-week proposition but even Wayne admitted at a function the other day that he was surprised with how I've handled the speed of the game.

Wayne is not sugar-coating the situation with me. I remember when he signed with the Dragons, we spoke about my future and I asked him if he really wanted me. He said, "I want you here and I need you here because you're the type of senior player I need''.

Maybe I'll sit out a couple of games next year to give the young guys a go. Around Origin time I could jump in and help out, a bit like Stacey Jones and Adam MacDougall have done this year at the Warriors and Knights.

The last thing I'd want to do is cost a young kid like Michael Lett a position because I've tried to have another year. Money isn't important. I don't want it to be a charity offer, but I want the Dragons to see me as someone they definitely want around.

They know my feelings on it.
Two or three years ago I thought I was lost to rugby league. I never thought I would be accepted back like I have been. It's funny. At training the other day, one of the boys said, "Geez, I'm a bit sore'' - but I feel fine. My body isn't battered at all, so I see no reason why I can't play next year.
A guy like Brett Morris said to me the other day: "Why would you retire, Dell, you're going great?'' Having their confidence excites me.
I've closed the door on going overseas. Japan or France were options originally when I copped my ban, but I'm happy to see out my career in the NRL. Rugby union kicked me to the kerb but rugby league has given me the chance to come back and finish on my terms.

I never had the same passion and desire in rugby union.I guess the only thing that would change my mind would be if I won the comp at the end of the year. Shane Webcke had the perfect send-off and if we made the grand final and won it, I'd probably consider going out a winner.
I feel like I've been at the Dragons for 10 years.

This is my home now.

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Nice Avatar, but i digress....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Go BIG DeLL!!!!! One more year! One more Year! One more Year!

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
I guess the only thing that would change my mind would be if I won the comp at the end of the year. Shane Webcke had the perfect send-off and if we made the grand final and won it, I'd probably consider going out a winner.

What happens if we win back to back premierships, and Wendell quits at the end of the season. Will be dissappointed he didnt go on.

Like i have said before, if he doesnt go on, he should become a motivational coach for the dragons.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
for the dell:

mancrush%20t-shirt.jpg

Dea

Juniors
In these days without any real characters the NRL needs Dell to keep playing. And I'm sure his sleeve sponser would want him to continue!

Latest posts