What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were Do Think We Will Come On The Ladder Next Year

Were Do Think We Will Come On The Ladder Next Year

• 1st

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 2nd

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 3rd

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 4th

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 5th

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 6th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7th

• 8th

• 9th

• 10th

• 11th

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 12th

• 13th

• 14th

• 15th

• 16th

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

league_nut

Juniors
I think you will come 8th. Someone has to step up in the backrow big time with BK leaving. Matty Orford is going to get hammered over failing in the finals again. If he fires you could be easily top 4 material.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
3rd for mine (at the end of regular season).I think Choc & Kite will lead the way for the forwards next year. I have a funny feeling King could be in for a good season too (could be just indegestion too). THe backs will match it with any team in the comp. I'd like to see Des reallt bite the bullet and shaft Dunley for Ballin. Also Play Lyon at 5/8 in the trials. If it doesn't gel then Matai for lock. It will either be the upcoming season or 2008 when he moves to lock.

Duffman

Juniors
I think the fact we have many options to take with positions, will make players feel the need to earn their spots, therefore bettering our performances. I sure hope you are right about Dunley and King.

Yep, agree with the general consensus here.

We've definately got some youngsters coming through that will be nibbling away at the heels of the first graders. Which is great to see :D!

Also, (whilst I've never seen Michael Bani or Shane Neumann play), realistically, the only back from PL I can see playing up in FG next year is Sean Meaney. Hopefully we'll get the rub of the green when it comes to injuries next year.

*prays*

Ryan

Juniors
I think maybe 9th or 10th. Without BK, I'm having visions of complacency (similar to 2004). Our players around the middle of the ruck are too slow. I mean we would have Willow, Rose, King, Bryant up the guts in defence, which means teams like The Dragons and The Storm are naturally going to tear them apart.

Even Michael Monaghan is slow in everything he does. Compare him to explosive Hookers like Buderus, Farrah, Priddis, Wing & co.

That said, he DOES tighten the defence up the middle of the ruck when he's on.

A problem with our team, is we need an inspirational leader (yes Orford fits the bill in many ways), that has the ability to kick the other players arses.

I noticed Travis Burns firing up at the lads at times. Maybe Des should make that part of his role.

I'd also maybe give Ballin a run. Our play the balls will be quicker. He has the ability to break the line from dummy 1/2 etc. I'd ask you howmmany times Monnas broke the line in 2006.

Under Steve Roach, and for 2 years straight, we have conceded more metres than any other team (even Souths). This needs to be fixed.

We could have 01. Greg Inglis, 02.Timana Tahu, 03. Mark Gasnier, 04.Jamie Lyon, 05. Matt King, 06. Darren Lockyer, 07. Andrew Johns - and still fail if our forwards for the 3rd year straight concede more metres than any other team in the competition. They need to step up, and the fact that we have failed to find a replacement for BK, and may stop gap that position with a centre (like The Tigers did this year with Lolesi), means we are fighting an uphill battle right from the start.

groggo

Juniors
make the 8 then anything goes in finals

probably should go better in 07 due to numerous reason

orford now settled
burns playing well at 5/8
bell and lyon in the centers

our lower grades have some excellent prospects as well coming thru the ranks

we made the finals all 3 grades afterall

not a bad effort by the club in general :f:

domdom

Juniors
i think we'll stutter a bit at the start of the season as we find our feet without BK, but once we settle i think we'll be a force in the comp.

we saw kite really step up and have his best form in a manly jumper last season while choc had a quiet one. i think this season is where kite and choc will have stand out seasons as they step up to fill BK's boots in the pack. i'm confident they will

i really hope we tie up kite's contract soon. i think he is off contract at the end of this season.

back on track, i think we will sneak into the top 4. we have too much firepower in the backs and i think our forwards will do the job.

murraymob

Coach
I am a bit suprised to hear manly fans not thinking top 4. As a panther fanatic . My take on manly would be top 4. The signing of lyons gives a far more potent attack that should offset the loss of kennedy. Penrith won their last grand final with a team considered poor in defence. Manly can do the same . Rise you eagles . Just not when you play the mountan men

Duffman

Juniors
murraymob said:
I am a bit suprised to hear manly fans not thinking top 4. As a panther fanatic . My take on manly would be top 4. The signing of lyons gives a far more potent attack that should offset the loss of kennedy. Penrith won their last grand final with a team considered poor in defence. Manly can do the same . Rise you eagles . Just not when you play the mountan men

Our defence was actually one of our stronger points last season murray mob. Especially our desperation on the line.

brett128 said:
Our defence was actually one of our stronger points last season murray mob. Especially our desperation on the line.

Our middle of the ruck defence was very poor tbh. Should Matt Ballin get the nod, he'll tighten the middle of the ruck up!

Duffman

Juniors
Yeah agree with you there. We did concede alot of soft tries through the middle of the park. Simply our players weren't alert or quick enough to deal with short balls, or dummy half runs.

murraymob

Coach
Dont worry brett .As with my early post the signing of lyons will give you far more potency in attack. Guys like your fullback will have a feild day following lyons around.All i feel it will take is one maybe two of your juniors to step up to help fill the kennedy void. If this happens you could be the panthers opponent in the grand final :D

Murray,

I agree with you that Lyon will definately help us, but, you can have a world class backline, but if your forward pack aint making the hard yards, it makes it extremely tough on the backline.

As far as I see it now, this will be our starting forward pack next year. I don't agree with it, but it will look something like this.

8. Jason King
9. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Steve Menzies
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Steve Matai

14. Shayne Dunley
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Luke Williamson

Not a very convincing forward pack tbh. Personally, I'd be going with:

8. Jason King
9. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Adam Cuthbertson
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Steve Menzies

14. Matt Ballin
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Steve Matai

With players like Shayne Dunley, Luke Williamson, Jack Afamasaga and Glenn Hall all sniffing away at first grade spots.

Latest posts