What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wesser says he deserves Origin chance

Panthers_God

Juniors
Wesser says he deserves Origin chance

Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:22 PM
Penrith fullback Rhys Wesser believes he deserves another chance to play State of Origin football for Queensland, particularly if he produces a big game against Wests Tigers and NSW No.1 Brett Hodgson.
Wesser, who played three Origin games for the Maroons in 2004, is back in the selection frame after injuries to Queensland's 2006 fullbacks Karmichael Hunt and Matt Bowen, and young gun Greg Inglis.
"It's a good chance for me in the next game, there's a few injuries and so there is a spot there," Wesser said ahead of the game at CUA Stadium.
"If I get out there on Saturday night and play a strong game from the back I think I maybe deserve a chance of having a crack down in Melbourne."
But Wesser said he's also used to missing out, something that has upset him.
"It's been an ongoing thing, the fact that I keep just missing out so I'm kind of used to it actually," he said.
"It is disappointing, it does get to you but you get over it."
A vital weapon for the Panthers in their NRL premiership win in 2003, Wesser said he can't remember losing to the Tigers.
And with good reason - the Panthers haven't lost to the joint-venture club since 2002 and have a 4-1 win-loss record at home.
They have, however, lost their past three games and have claimed victory just twice in six games at CUA Stadium this year.
"We've just come off the bye and we've had a good rest so mentally and physically our bodies are pretty much ready," he said.
"Everyone's a bit starved of not winning many games and we're ready to get out there, enjoy a game of football and hopefully come home with the two points."
While the Tigers have started to tentatively build some of the momentum that famously got them the trophy last year, Penrith desperately needs to a win to stay in touch with the top eight.
Panthers halfback Craig Gower, who has played only one game since injuring his knee in a NSW Origin training mishap in May, has a final chance to press for an Origin III start against the quality halves pairing of Scott Prince and Benji Marshall.
Wests welcome back crafty forward Dene Halatau from an ankle injury while a reshuffle in the pack means Todd Payten steps up to the front row.

Source: AAP

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/1769/Default.aspx

I reckon he definently deserves a chance.

But maybe thats becuase I am such a massive Wesser fan. What do you guys reckon?

Munky

Coach
I don't. He is still inconsistent and he was pretty ordinary in the 2004 series.

Jono078

Referee
Ive thought of him playing origin 3 for awhile now.. Dont know why it wasnt brought up earlier, he's been pretty good this year.

Will be him or Schifcovske surely.