What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers buying policy.

magpiemax

Juniors
I will explain this in a nutshell,when there is a player on offer we like every other club approach player manager's or they approach us with interest. :)
But when they try and get us involved in a dutch auction our club will not keep up with the chase and refuse to negotiate in that manner.As you have seen with player's like Tahu($400,000 p/a)for a winger. :cry:
Now what happen's then is that there will be player's left over who certain club's cannot pick up due to the cap,that's when weaker club's with a budget come in and buy a good player of NRL standard at a reasonable price. :D :D
I have been told that they will pay a good dollar for a good player but after the money squandered in 99-2000 to make a team, they are now more interested in the St.george-Illa. system of keeping good young junior's and hunting for up and comer's and buying value player's.How many big signing's have Saint's made?? :D
As the club have faith in our player's. :D
And honestly guy's if you think hard about the talent we have coming through and when they fully mature and with the likes of good player's being signed here and there,why can't we do what Saint's or Penrith have done?? ;-) :idea:

Albo

Juniors
The question is, are our youngtsers as good as the ones that came through for the dragons

Gasnier
Cooper
Hornby
Barrett
Ryles
Bailey
Thompson

vs

Marshall
Harrison
Halatau
Fulton
Gibbs
Greally
Alberts
Panghai

From the above, there appears to be a lot of backs and mobile lock/2nd rowers, besides Gibbs, there are no big meatheads. And thats what we need.

Albo

Juniors
And since we are going youth policy, are there any Willie Tonga's out there for us to buy this year

magpiemax

Juniors
Why not???????? Marshall has played a handfull of games and he has shown what he can do and his only a kid.
Harrison will be a champ as well as Fulton,Gibbs etc...etc...
Don't forget Barrett has been around since the Illawarra day's and is well established.
who had heard of Hornby???The next minute he has a SOO jersey in his closet.
Thing's change pretty fast mate as Penrith have shown. ;-)

yappy

Bench
Which is all well and good except for one thing.

Penrith and Saints have quality big units on tap. Both Wests and Balmain produce good quality, but few have the size the Tigers are desperately missing especially up front.

innsaneink

Referee
And honestly guy's if you think hard about the talent we have coming through and when they fully mature and with the likes of good player's being signed here and there,why can't we do what Saint's or Penrith have done?

Penrith junior clubs-22
Saints/Illa Jnr clbs-26
Wests/BlmnJn clbs-25

I rememebr hearing them talking up campbo as a massive Jnr nursery for wests when they first went in the 80's.....its one hting to develop them...another hanging on to them.

magpiemax

Juniors
yappy said:
Which is all well and good except for one thing.

Penrith and Saints have quality big units on tap. Both Wests and Balmain produce good quality, but few have the size the Tigers are desperately missing especially up front.
Yes.........must admit apart from that minor technicality that you have pointed out,all's sweet. :lol:

tiger_nick

Bench
daslacker said:
Albo said:
And since we are going youth policy, are there any Willie Tonga's out there for us to buy this year

IMO yes.I would love to get dustin cooper

Storm have quality outside backs coming out of there arse. I honestly think they have just about the best backline in the comp.

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. King
4. Bell
5. Geyer
6. Hill
7. Orford

Very under rated.

Than they have Cooper, Webster, MacDougall (who I don't really rate) and Cronk. I would go after Jake Webster, he is big strong and fast, plays center or wing and would be relativley cheap

magpiemax

Juniors
they have Cooper, Webster, MacDougall (who I don't really rate) and Cronk. [/quote]Is that Cronk or Gronk?? :lol:

Vicious

Bench
If we must sign another back or two,I reckon Dustin Cooper and Ashley Alberts would be bargain buys!Apparently Coopers younger brother Gavin Cooper is a very talented second rower also.Ashley Alberts older brother of Balmains Jermaine Alberts had massive wraps on him a couple of years back,but injuries have hampered his progress and he`s currently stuck in the Broncos reserve team.As for the forwards the talent pool is shrinking.I still reckon Carl Webb is the best option available,Apart from him we`d have to take a calculated risk on signing players who have yet to prove themselves in 1st grade.I reckon we could do worse than sign Craig Stapleton.He is an improving player although in his mid 20`s and I doubt Parra would have much money left to offer him!

eelsta

Bench
stapo is a top player even when parra wre hopeless (Most of the time) hes put in u could do worse than to sign him a very passionate player that i 4 1 wi;; be sorry to see go but if he does i hope u get him

Wilks

Juniors
It's all well and good to sit on your hands while big name players move clubs and then pick up the guys who's spot they take on the cheap - everybody loves a bargain. We need more than cheap players...I think the last month has shown that.

For mine there were 3 players available who would have made a SIGNIFICANT difference for 2005...Wiki, Price and Joel Monaghan. None of these guys would come cheap but we look to be getting rid of a few players and should have some cash. We've also got old Harry T who we could use to do a bit of creative Rooster accounting to keep us under the cap.

Price and Wiki would add starch to a pack that is too small. I watched Wiki again on satuday night and the guy is brutal. Price is solid and does what he does well.
Monaghan is better than anything we currently have in the centres.

I dont think the current policy is working - money talks and its time we bought some big name players

and we need a decent 6 for the rest of the year.

magpiemax

Juniors
Wilks said:
It's all well and good to sit on your hands while big name players move clubs and then pick up the guys who's spot they take on the cheap - everybody loves a bargain. We need more than cheap players...I think the last month has shown that.

For mine there were 3 players available who would have made a SIGNIFICANT difference for 2005...Wiki, Price and Joel Monaghan. None of these guys would come cheap but we look to be getting rid of a few players and should have some cash. We've also got old Harry T who we could use to do a bit of creative Rooster accounting to keep us under the cap.

Price and Wiki would add starch to a pack that is too small. I watched Wiki again on satuday night and the guy is brutal. Price is solid and does what he does well.
Monaghan is better than anything we currently have in the centres.

I dont think the current policy is working - money talks and its time we bought some big name players

and we need a decent 6 for the rest of the year.
Wiki,Price and Monoghan you say??? Ohhh Yes,Price would of gleefully sacrificed his 1.3 million dollar's to come to us and I'm sure Monoghan would of come cheap as well,not to mention Wiki :roll:

Wilks

Juniors
Whats your point? That they'd all be expensive? Thanks for the tip.
2 of them went to the same club.
I'd be happy with one of them.

gr8_1

Juniors
Either Wiki and Price would of been good, but both were out of our price range. I would like to know how in the hell we are even close to the salary cap limit. Our team isnt even worth half the salary cap. :roll:

Monaghan accepted less to play for the Roosters "its reported :lol: ". We had no chance. If the Roosters are after the same player we are, who do you think he is going to pick ?

Wilks

Juniors
Of course JM would pick the Roosters over us but there comes a point with these blokes where they'll just go for the money.

We have to try and get solid established players or we'll all be arguing how shit we are in 2010.

innsaneink

Referee
So isnt this where our billionaire saviour Harry T stands up and says....
"Taaaaaaahhhdaaaahhhhhhh".Never fear....Harrys here!

Jan or feb before we got herbal world a LOT of people kept bringin up his name.....well surprise surprise his name gets mentioned that hes back on board .....just happened to be during our 3 match winning streak...funny that ;-) ....havent heard a thing since.

Why isnt he helping out somehow with these third party agreemments?
Or is there other motives?

Latest posts