What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers captain announced: OFFICIAL

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
Media Release

O'NEILL NAMED WESTS TIGERS CAPTAIN

Experienced second-rower Mark O'Neill has been named Wests Tigers Captain for Season 2005.

O'Neill, who made his first grade debut for Balmain Tigers in 1994, has played 105 games for the Wests Tigers. He and prop John Skandalis remain the sole survivors from the first Wests Tigers side in 2000.

The respected forward takes over the captaincy role from the retired Darren Senter. O'Neill has played 207 first grade games during his career with Balmain Tigers and Wests Tigers.

''To be named captain means a lot to me, I feel extremely honoured to be given the job,'' O'Neill said.

"I just want to get out on the field now and lead by example. All the boys are raring to go and we want to make sure we have a better season than last year”.

“Darren has already told me I have big shoes to fill and that I can only do my best.''

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens said O'Neill was appointed captain for a number of reasons.

"Mark has a terrific attitude to life and to training. When he turns up to training, he trains hard and is respected by the players,'' Sheens said.

"His attitude rubs off on the younger players in the team and he leads by example”.

"There are a number of experienced players in the team including Brett Hodgson, Scott Prince, Ben Galea and John Skandalis who will be there to support Mark and express their views, but at the end of the day, the final decision on the field rests with Mark”.

"Mark has the respect of players and officials and he will handle himself well as captain.''

westie

Bench
I would have preferred Galea. He is inspirational when playing with the C beside his name. It really lifts him. Plus he will just be named captain next year or whenever O'Neill retires.

Eddie.

Bench
Buckets is a great clubman but the right choice as captain, NO

Bloody hell i mean how many more seasons will Buckets last, 2 at very best, he will struggle to make the team at the end of this season. The Tigers are a young and exciting team and i feel a long term captain was required whether it be Scott Prince, Brett Hodgson or my choice Ben Galea.

Oneill doesnt really seem lik the sort of bloke to lay the law down, very softly spoken, pretty surprised by thsi decision from Sheens.

Anyway putting aside the slight dissapointment im happy for Buckets, he does deserve it in many ways and he seems thrilled to get it, wouldnt of been my choice but good on him.

tiger_nick

Bench
I would have prefered Galea or Hodgson but I'm sure mark will do well.

It does seem strange as he had quiet a poor season last year and blokes like Laffranchi, Harrison and Halatau must be going close to having him moved to the bench.

However in 2003 when Daz was out for a while he played fantastic as captain and the team really lifted. Ill never forget his game against the Dogs when we beat them to snap our 7 game losing streak. O'Neil was captain and scored 2 tries with another disswallowed.

thommo4pm

Coach
Loyal clubman and probably a good choice.

Captaincy can make players raise another level, and while he may have been poor last year according to some, the captaincy may take him to the next level.
Time will tell.

thickos

First Grade
Good choice I guess... its easy to 'look to the future' in these decisions but most of the time it's best to go with an old head.

innsaneink

Referee
Congrats to Buckets!!!

While he hasnt set the world on fire, hes one
of those trusty reliable workhorses that you
notice when they aint there.
A deserved choice, and a nice bloke too.
shamrocks1.jpg

O'Neil is a great choice i still have no idea why people are saying he had a bad season hes a ball playing 2nd rower avg around 70 metres pg made very few mistakes or misstackles
and i think we have a very good win % with O'Neil being captain

TigerMo

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
Yes your Right O'Neil is Lame :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please stop it, your humour is killing me... :roll:

Considering the fact that somebody was punched in the face by a coward while he wasn't looking and he gets knocked down, you find it funny and come up with some joke so lame such as "Mr. Glass Jaw". :roll:

Hope the same thing happens to you while you're on the street, you pathetic tool.

brook

First Grade
It was the right choice

I was certain it would have gone to prince so very happy with the result.

Buckets is a good captain, a great clubman and most importantly has the respect of officials which should finally see an end to our problems with the ref.

Galea had a great season last year but has struggled with keeping consistant form in the past, I'm happy to let him play his own game and not burden him with extra responsibility. Hodgo would do the job well but I don't really like fullbacks as captain and prince has no history with the club.

Mark has a good couple of years left in him yet and that will allow plenty of time to groom one of the younger kids into a leadership role.

Latest posts