What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wests Tigers supporters

Knight87

Juniors
1)For those who have been to Leichardt Oval or Campbelltown Stadium, what is the atmosphere, seating and overall viewing like?
2)What do you think of the merger? Do you think it has been a success?
3) Why did the Western Suburbs Magpies (who made the finals in '96), then all of a sudden fade off the scene?
4) Does anyone have any pics of what Campbelltown Stadium use to look like before it got redeveloped?
5) What are your favourite Wests Tigers, Wests or Balmain games (that you attended or watched on tv)?

1. I have no complaints about Campbelltown or Telstra. I like them both. Don't go to Leichhardt any more, prick of a place to get to.
2. 2005.
3. Super League may have had a bit to do with it.
4. No.
5. 2005 GF. 1991 v Newcastle at Campbelltown, 2005 v Cowboys at Campbelltown.

1 Telstra and Leichhardt are fine, never been to Cambeltown though
2 It's had its ups and downs but overall I'd say it has been a success, both clubs would probably have died
3 I was only 6 years old at the time
4 No
5 54-2 win over the dogs in 2005

Gus22

Juniors
J T said:
1)For those who have been to Leichardt Oval or Campbelltown Stadium, what is the atmosphere, seating and overall viewing like?
The atmosphere at LO & CS is made up of 79% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, & 1% is made up of various other gases.
Seating is by way of moulded UV resistant polypropylene devices with fire geniusant additives which are commonly referred to as "seats". Overall viewing is difficult as not many people like to wear them to the football. Occasionally however, you may spot service personel donning the quaint garment. The blue King Gee variety is the most likely to be seen.

J T said:
Not one of Jefferey Robinson better novels. An unstructured sampler of crime anecdotes does not add up to a well-developed book-length thesis. I bought this book largely due to the fact that the covers portrays a naked woman sitting on a goat whilst darning socks , but I was a bit disappointed. By the time I'd got halfway through, it was clear that Robinson has presented the idea of a "merger" of transnational organized crime as a catch-all category for his large supply of stories about gangsters operating in various countries.

J T said:
3) Why did the Western Suburbs Magpies (who made the finals in '96), then all of a sudden fade off the scene?
Because of the rabbits. Too many rabbits in China!

J T said:
4) Does anyone have any pics of what Campbelltown Stadium use to look like before it got redeveloped?
26376-Kilauea-Caldera-Crater-left-side-0.jpg

J T said:
5) What are your favourite Wests Tigers, Wests or Balmain games (that you attended or watched on tv)?
The Georgalis' vs The Capovilla's Family Feud (Episode 6-03 in 1995)
Tommy Raudonikis' 4-Letter Word Scrable Game (Parker Bros.)
Paul Langmacks Jumanji (Milton Bradley)

chunk

Juniors
Leichhardt is easily the best ground in the game.
Merger has been a success.
The Semi against The Dragons in '05 was the best Wests Tigers game I have been to.
I remember a night game against Cronulla in '88 at Leichhardt where we just played awesome.

Knight87

Juniors
Do you think that more games should be played at Leichardt Oval, considering they got a whopping 22,877 ppl there a couple of years ago against Souths?

innsaneink

Referee
I find it hard to believe fans still have never been to or dont go to certain grounds....that said Ive never been to suncorp NZ melb etc..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) Campbelltown is better in regards to parking, accessibility, public transport, location and for watching a game, Leichhardt has superior atmosphere though.
2) It was disappointing to learn that initially the Tigers would have survived on their own for another 6-10 seasons, but when merger talks started I was ecstatic that Balmain joined Wests over the Dogs and Parra. Just look at 2005.
3) I think the famed Raudonikis quote, in regards to game plans, had something to do with it "If we don't know what we're doing, how is our opponent supposed to know what we're doing?" Wests had a pretty solid pack, but the halves and backs weren't too great in the latter years. Apart from Leeds and Georgallis in the backs, the Maggies had a million different players come and go. That sort of constant changing will always prevent a team from working like a team.
4) No.
5) The 1988 Final Between Balmain and Manly, Balmain won 19-8 I believe. Great game. Another was the 1993 draw with Canberra, 32 all. Brasher nailing the conversion from the sideline after the siren to draw the game, after Canberra had a fairly handy lead. Watching the Wests Tigers flog f**k out of Souths in 2003 at Leichhardt, always good. I used to love watching all the Balmain v Brisbane games in 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92. Always plenty of fire.

I would say having only been to campbelltowm once -Roosters hammered the Tigers that night 56 to 0 it is a very poor ground standard wise. If they spent 20 million on that ground and the atheletic track next door then i am pro capitalist.

They could have built a 35,000 seater stadium there and played all home games there every second week(benefit payment week) as leichhardt is not and never will be upto to scratch or have the assessability that centrelink i mean campbelltown stadium would have and telstra is a poor ground for viewing football at.

With a station i recall close by it would be easy to get to for the under priviledged fans at campbelltown and the cappuccino sipping norton street crowd.

marshall stalin said:
I would say having only been to campbelltowm once -Roosters hammered the Tigers that night 56 to 0 it is a very poor ground standard wise. If they spent 20 million on that ground and the atheletic track next door then i am pro capitalist.

They could have built a 35,000 seater stadium there and played all home games there every second week(beniefit payment week) as leichhardt is not and never will be upto to scratch or have the assessability that centrelink i mean campbelltown stadium would have and telstra is a poor ground for viewing football at.

With a station i recall close by it would be easy to get to for the under priviledged fans at campbelltown and the cappuccino sipping norton street crowd.

How long have you supported the Tigers for mate?

Sincas

Juniors
J T said:

Brilliant. From a viewing point, get a grandstand seat and you won't get better anywhere.

Wasn't anyone's choice but has worked fairly well. 2005 was great in bringing it together. There is a lot less angst now.

No idea. They probably overachieved in 96

no

all of the second half of 2005 and whenever Souths come to Leichhardt for a thrashing.